Sign in to follow this  
jimh

Track IR in FSX

Hi All,I've just properly joined the Track IR Club, after receiving a replacement unit from RC Simulations.In FSX I have my Yoke and Throttle configured using FSUIPC, with controls disabled in FSX (as advised in the FSUIPC Manual).Can anyone help me map buttons on my yoke for F9/F12, to pause and centre the TIR? In FSUIPC I'm not able to key in a function key in the keypress section.The TIR is terrific, but I can't reach the function keys on the keyboard without going all over the place, as the keyboard sits beyond my yoke.Regards, Jim

Asus Rog Maximus VIII Hero, i9-10900k 4.8GHZ, Corsair H100 cooler, 32GB Corsair Vengeance 2666, RTX3090 20GB, Win10 HP 64-bit, 3 Monitors "19-22-19", Vive Pro 2 Headset.

Hi Jim,I think you can map the buttons directly in the TrackIR program. Just create a new profile for FSX (if you don't have one already) and change the hotkeys to keys on your yoke.
Thanks for the suggestion.F9 and F12 are for left and right brakes in FSX, and not of much importance in the air, so they seem ideal to use for TIR. I can't seem to find an alternative key combination to use for TIR that doesn't do something in FSX already.I feel realy stupid here. I'm hoping someone has already addressed this problem, and can give me a fix.Meanwhile, I'll try to check again for a free combination in FSX, to which I can assign in TIR.Cheers, Jim

Asus Rog Maximus VIII Hero, i9-10900k 4.8GHZ, Corsair H100 cooler, 32GB Corsair Vengeance 2666, RTX3090 20GB, Win10 HP 64-bit, 3 Monitors "19-22-19", Vive Pro 2 Headset.

I can't seem to find an alternative key combination to use for TIR that doesn't do something in FSX already.
Er... maybe I am missing something, but now it suddenly seems you are looking for keys on your keyboard to use with the TIR...? I thought you wanted to use keys on your yoke? Simply edit the TIR-profile you use for FSX (no need to make a new one: I use the Flight profile), go to the HotKeys tab, press Change and then use the button on your yoke that you want to use. If you haven't got keys enough on your yoke, well, then the only option is to use keys on the keyboard.EDIT:Maybe you are trying to choose a key for TIR that's also used in FSX and then map the key in FSX to your yoke (if you know what I mean): that's not needed. Simply map the key directly in the TIR interface and not in FSX!

Hi All,I've just properly joined the Track IR Club, after receiving a replacement unit from RC Simulations.In FSX I have my Yoke and Throttle configured using FSUIPC, with controls disabled in FSX (as advised in the FSUIPC Manual).Can anyone help me map buttons on my yoke for F9/F12, to pause and centre the TIR? In FSUIPC I'm not able to key in a function key in the keypress section.The TIR is terrific, but I can't reach the function keys on the keyboard without going all over the place, as the keyboard sits beyond my yoke.Regards, Jim
Puzzling. I put F9/F12 on my yoke with FSUIPC with no problems. Have you asked in the FSUIPC forum what the problem might be, because you should be able to input any key.Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Puzzling. I put F9/F12 on my yoke with FSUIPC with no problems. Have you asked in the FSUIPC forum what the problem might be, because you should be able to input any key.Vic
Thanks everyone, and I'm sorry for the confusion - to explain:I'm going into FSUIPC, pressing button 1 on my yoke, choosing keypress, pressing F9 on the keyboard - Nothing.I tried again, Vic, this time I tried Shift-F9, and FSUIPC accepted that. Great! Ditto for Shift-F12. I then changed the hotkeys in TIR to Shift-F9 and Shift-F12. Success!!!!!I then went back into FSUIPC for a button to use for TIR Precision. I had a throttle button to spare, so pressed that, pressed F12 on the keyboard, and to my amazement it showed up at once?I did however decide to use Shift-F8, like the others, so I'm all OK now.Thanks again. I just have to get used to Track IR now, and perhaps adjust settings to suit.Regards, Jim

Thanks everyone, and I'm sorry for the confusion - to explain:I'm going into FSUIPC, pressing button 1 on my yoke, choosing keypress, pressing F9 on the keyboard - Nothing.I tried again, Vic, this time I tried Shift-F9, and FSUIPC accepted that. Great! Ditto for Shift-F12. I then changed the hotkeys in TIR to Shift-F9 and Shift-F12. Success!!!!!I then went back into FSUIPC for a button to use for TIR Precision. I had a throttle button to spare, so pressed that, pressed F12 on the keyboard, and to my amazement it showed up at once?I did however decide to use Shift-F8, like the others, so I'm all OK now.Thanks again. I just have to get used to Track IR now, and perhaps adjust settings to suit.Regards, Jim
Still don't understand why you need to add the keys into FSUIPC as well as in TIR... If you want to use a specific key in TIR, just add it by editing the profile: no need to add them to FSUIPC also...

TIR will not 'see' keystrokes set in FSUIPC....in order for TIR to respond to keystrokes they must come from the keyboard OR be sent from a yoke/throttle using the software profile for thatyoke/throttle. The TIR software is a SEPARATE APPLICATION that runs 'in front of' FSX, in a logical sense. Both 'see' keystrokes from the keyboard or the controllers. TIR 'passes through' keystrokes to FSX inless youselect the option not to ( for the PAUSE and CENTER functions ). FSUIPC sits 'between' the 'output'of TIR and FSX, in a logical sense, and thus FSUIPC 'outputs' will not be seen by TIR.I have an X-45 stick/throttle that used a FSX profile with a couple of buttons assigned forthe TIR PAUSE and CENTER functions. I also have a Saitek Pro Yoke and dual throttle quadrants,however I do NOT use the Saitek software for these devices since it is not compatible withthe X-45 software.Thus, I can NOT use any buttons/switches on the Pro Yoke/Throttles to control TIR. I CAN, however,set all the FSX functions I want via FSUIPC.So, you either HAVE to use the yoke/stick/throttle programming software from the vendor to beable to define keystrokes to control TIR or use the keyboard.Even if you DO use the software to assign buttons, etc, you can STILL use FSUIPC to assignFSX functions to the controllers buttons, axis and switches.You could create a simple profile that only defines the TIR button functions and then do all theother assignments using FSUIPC. A PLUS to using the software is that you can then makeuse of things like the 'mode' switch or 'shift' switch to have multiple assignments for thesame button or switch. Paul

Wide-5.jpg

TIR will not 'see' keystrokes set in FSUIPC....in order for TIR to respond to keystrokes they must come from the keyboard OR be sent from a yoke/throttle using the software profile for thatyoke/throttle. The TIR software is a SEPARATE APPLICATION that runs 'in front of' FSX, in a logical sense. Both 'see' keystrokes from the keyboard or the controllers. TIR 'passes through' keystrokes to FSX inless youselect the option not to ( for the PAUSE and CENTER functions ). FSUIPC sits 'between' the 'output'of TIR and FSX, in a logical sense, and thus FSUIPC 'outputs' will not be seen by TIR.I have an X-45 stick/throttle that used a FSX profile with a couple of buttons assigned forthe TIR PAUSE and CENTER functions. I also have a Saitek Pro Yoke and dual throttle quadrants,however I do NOT use the Saitek software for these devices since it is not compatible withthe X-45 software.Thus, I can NOT use any buttons/switches on the Pro Yoke/Throttles to control TIR. I CAN, however,set all the FSX functions I want via FSUIPC.So, you either HAVE to use the yoke/stick/throttle programming software from the vendor to beable to define keystrokes to control TIR or use the keyboard.Even if you DO use the software to assign buttons, etc, you can STILL use FSUIPC to assignFSX functions to the controllers buttons, axis and switches.You could create a simple profile that only defines the TIR button functions and then do all theother assignments using FSUIPC. A PLUS to using the software is that you can then makeuse of things like the 'mode' switch or 'shift' switch to have multiple assignments for thesame button or switch. Paul
Thanks for all the info. You guys are a lot smarter than me. All I've done is assign hotkeys in my TIR profile for FSX. Snag is I can't reach the keyboard when I'm flying.I've assigned those same keys to buttons on my Yoke and Throttle within FSUIPC. Now when I fly FSX, those buttons seem to work with TIR. I don't use the control settings in FSX, and I don't use CH Control Manager. I'm just glad it finally works! I'll try to learn from all you've told me.Regards, Jim

I've assigned those same keys to buttons on my Yoke and Throttle within FSUIPC.
Glad it works and all is okay, but still... this workaround isn't necessary. But I won't repeat myself for the 3rd time. :(

Hi again Paul,I've been reading and re-reading your post above. As you already know, I'm no expert in these matters!I seem to have found a weird way of controlling the TIR in FSX. It does work, but I'm finding that panning is far from smooth. I've tried adjusting the curves in the TIR software, but the various adjustments I've tried have made no difference. I've read in some posts that TIR can be jerky if the computer is struggling to cope, so I minimised everthing in FSX to give the computer plenty to spare, but it made no difference. Could this problem be related to the way I'm connecting with TIR?Am I understanding your explanation correctly?Use CH Contol Manager to map buttons on my Yoke to pause and centre TIR, and save these settings as a profile?Do I then enable Controllers in FSX?Having done the two above, then go into FSUIPC for all the other settings related to FSX?After using CH Control Manager to set up the buttons for TIR, would those Yoke buttons directly pause and centre the TIR software while editing a profile? At the moment I'm only able to pause the TIR when I'm in FSX.I'm really grateful for the help, and I'm equally keen to get my TIR working at its best.Regards, Jim

Glad it works and all is okay, but still... this workaround isn't necessary. But I won't repeat myself for the 3rd time. :(
Hi,I'm sorry. I must be really stupid. I thought you were referring to changing actual keystrokes in a TIR profile. It didn't occur to me that TIR would accept a button press directly from my yoke.I must be more awake this morning, for having read your reply, I tried it and, of course it worked. Stupid me!Thanks very much for your help. It did get through to me eventually!!Regards, Jim

Hi,I'm sorry. I must be really stupid. I thought you were referring to changing actual keystrokes in a TIR profile. It didn't occur to me that TIR would accept a button press directly from my yoke.I must be more awake this morning, for having read your reply, I tried it and, of course it worked. Stupid me!Thanks very much for your help. It did get through to me eventually!!Regards, Jim
Victory! B) :( :( :( B)

Victory! B) :( :( :( B)
Victory indeed, J! I'm glad you're quite pleased! I've had a go in FSX. I'm using a copy of the flight profile, chosen Progressive for Yaw, and 80% smoothing. Looking around is now a whole lot smoother than before.Best Wishes, Jim

Victory indeed, J! I'm glad you're quite pleased! I've had a go in FSX. I'm using a copy of the flight profile, chosen Progressive for Yaw, and 80% smoothing. Looking around is now a whole lot smoother than before.Best Wishes, Jim
I use a profile downloaded from Naturalpoint called "Optimised Flight" that I found to be very good.

John

Rig: Gigabyte B550 AORUS Master Motherboard, AMD Ryzen 7 3800XT CPU, 32GB DDR4 Ram, Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super Graphics,  Samsung Odyssey  wide view display (5120 x 1440 pixels) with VSYNC on.