Sign in to follow this  
ZippinZim

FS9 Navigation database

Hi all. I've done multiple searches, but cannot find the answer to my question. Forgive me as I know the question had to have been asked before.I was flying an RNAV approach using third party RealityXP GNS 430 when it vectored me to a fix that was not part of the currently published real-world procedure. Apparently the real-world procedure have been re-written using new fixes. I opened up the stock FS9 GPS to see if the new fix was depicted, but as suspected the new fix did not show up at all.I know I need some sort of update so that the GNS430 displays and utilizes the new fixes, but what about FS9? Is there a way to update the navigation database to include all (or most) new fixes, ILS frequencies, etc?Thank you for your help!

Realistically? No way at all. The "database" is scattered among hundreds of separate files and it would be an incredibly monumental task to update...On a more practical level, it is possible for anyone to update an individual airport's navaids and approach procedures, but even with the available tools it is not a trivial task...

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Realistically? No way at all. The "database" is scattered among hundreds of separate files and it would be an incredibly monumental task to update...On a more practical level, it is possible for anyone to update an individual airport's navaids and approach procedures, but even with the available tools it is not a trivial task...
Thank you for your reply. As I think back and as I read your post I presume you're talking about .bgl files that come with new scenery. If that's the case, I certainly understand. Now, let's say I download the latest and greatest RealityXP update which includes the new, updated approach procedures. Does the FS9 database/scenery have to have the new fixes in order to fly (and use) the correct fixes in the RealityXP GNS430/530? I presume it doesn't and that the RealityXP GNS430/530 will still show the new fixes. Am I correctly assuming?

RXP's GPS systems are simply a "mirror" of the underlying Garmin GPS trainer that's running in the background. Whatever database you have for the Garmin GPS trainer is the one it has as well. I don't know if you can obtain an updated database for it.FS will work with any defined waypoints within a flight plan file.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

RXP's GPS systems are simply a "mirror" of the underlying Garmin GPS trainer that's running in the background. Whatever database you have for the Garmin GPS trainer is the one it has as well. I don't know if you can obtain an updated database for it.FS will work with any defined waypoints within a flight plan file.
Okay, thanks. Now I understand that the "database" that drives their GPS is integrated in the trainer. And that it will drive an approach even if the FS9 scenery file doesn't have the appropriate fixes (FS9 nav data is irrelevant to the third party GPS). I have also found elsewhere that there is no upgrade to the trainer at this time...at least not public and for less than $12k!Thanks again for the responses.

The situation for the Garmin based addon is not good, but most addon FMS equiped aircraft do have nav updates via navigraph. The FS9 database can be updated, and it could be automated but there hasn't been a real strong call for it. For example, super flight planer v3 will extract all the navaids and waypoints from the default fs9 files. You could obtain the navigraph data and use that to develop a list of missing/moved data and create bgl files for updating it. The only tricky thing is you can't remove any navaids. scott s..