Sign in to follow this  
scott967

Which must-have library files for Hawaii?

Good morning,Last night for the first time in... well, ever, I decided to check out Hawaii. Nice! It's an interesting flight environment, and the real-world wx was kind of amazing.. sort of my own stereotypical envisionings seemed to just pop up there.. .low puffy clouds.. gentle wind... tropical drinks.Anyway, I'm gonna keep flying there, and am hoping to get recommendations for the "must-have" library files. There are a bunch of them but I'm deferring to the experienced Hawaii flyers here.I fly mostly fixed-wing.Aloha,Andrew

FS2002 Kona International Airport, at Keahole, Hawaii.......KOABy: Bill MelicharKona is located on the "Big Island" Hawaii. L.Adamson

Bill Melichar has a whole series of airports in Hawaii and otherPacific islands. I have added almost all of them and really enjoyhopping around the Pacific.Just do a "file search" on the AVSIM Library using "Bill Melichar"as the keyword. You should come up with about 3 or 4 pages ofPacific airport scenery.FaxCap

Bill Melichar has a whole series of airports in Hawaii and otherPacific islands. I have added almost all of them and really enjoyhopping around the Pacific.Just do a "file search" on the AVSIM Library using "Bill Melichar"as the keyword. You should come up with about 3 or 4 pages ofPacific airport scenery.FaxCap

There is some freeware enhanced mesh which will greatly improve the accuracy and visuals of the terrain... I think it was available via www.fsgenesis.net but it seems that their "Mesh Central" repository of freeware data is temporarily closed. I believe I have it archived on a CD somewhere; if your email inbox can accept big files I could email it to you or ftp it somewhere.Another thing to look for is "land class data" for Hawaii. I'm not sure what's available for that area, either as free- or payware.Finally, although you mentioned that you're primarily a seized-wing fella, there's a nice scenery set for "Seahorse Bay Helicopter Tours", which adds some heliports to several of the islands. There are also some matching repaints for the Bell 47 and Bell 206 available, although I cant find the latter on Avsim. This allows you to explore the world of running a scenic tour helicopter operation without the pain and suffering of actually buying and maintaining the aircraft 8^) .Here's the link for the SHB scenery:http://library.avsim.net/sendfile.php?DLID=14344I plan to purchse 9.6m mesh for the islands eventually. I believe the freeware stuff is 38m, which is already way better than the stock FS2002 stuff, but 9.6 should really bring out some of the more dramatic physical features in the islands (e.g. Waipio Valley on TBI).aloha,Dave "Bruddah Blave" Blevins

System: Asus P8Z68 Deluxe/Gen3 mobo *** i7 2700K @ 5gHz w/ Corsair H80 cooler

NVidia GTX 570 OC *** 8 GB 1600 Corsair Vengeance DRAM *** CoolerMaster HAF X case

System overclocked and tuned for FSX by fs-gs.com

Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog stick/throttle & CH Products Pro Pedals

Various GoFlight panels *** PFC avionics stack

Even though this is payware you should also check out the Hononlulu airport scenery by Lago. Its a pretty nice airport and has some nice effects.Craig Kiltie

Thanks for the SHB plug Dave! :-lol In addition to that one I also have a newer scenery called "Aloha Village" that got some notice.All the stuff by Bill Melichar is good also, and mesh is a must for this area, only thing is, since there are so many available some sceneries (including mine) don't work with some meshes installed.Make sure to get the water texture by Ed Truthan (sp?) they really enhance tropical flying! Regards, Michaelhttp://mysite.verizon.net/res052cd/mybannercva1.jpg

Best, Michael

KDFW

Guest Lindy

Andrew, Seahorse Bay Tours was done by Mike Carr. He has also done a recent scenery, Aloha Recreation (or something like that). But anyway, do a search on "Michael Carr" and you'll find it. It will make an excellent addition to your Hawaii experience. -Lindy :-wave

Hi Michael,I took the advice and downloaded your Seahorse files too... will get to installing them soon.I will look for that water texture!Cheers,Andrew>Thanks for the SHB plug Dave! :-lol In addition to that one>I also have a newer scenery called "Aloha Village" that got>some notice.>>All the stuff by Bill Melichar is good also, and mesh is a>must for this area, only thing is, since there are so many>available some sceneries (including mine) don't work with some>meshes installed.>Make sure to get the water texture by Ed Truthan (sp?) they>really enhance tropical flying!>> >Regards, Michael>>http://mysite.verizon.net/res052cd/mybannercva1.jpg>>

Search for Hawaii Mesh in the Avsim file library, under FS2002 Scenery. The Orlando Sotomayor mesh for Oahu is excellent!

Bert

I bought the FSGenesis mesh/landclass and Lago PHNL. Nice. Also installed the Melchair PHKO, and some taxi signs for IIRC PHLI. Then I modded a few things, like some of the ATC voices that want to call PHTO "high-low" LOL.Would like a decent PHOG.For something different, fly out to French Frigate Shoals PHFS, Midway PMDY, or Johnston Is PHJO.scott s..