Sign in to follow this  
cianpars

Good Justification for using Google earth?

Guys,Whilst exploring Google's new Streel Level service, I found a picture of me stood outside of my office (causing considerable mirth amongst my colleagues, I might add).So it occurred to me that if they were using my image without my permission or a licence to do so, then I would be perfectly justified in using their images on the same basis.OK, they might argue that the image of me is a little blurred, but then, so are their sat pictures.So there you have it. My justification for using Google Earth with Tileproxy which allows me to counterclaim if they choose to litigate against me. All I need now is for someone to post a configuration file :( Please.PS - no offence to Google, great company and I love their business model, but take note Mr Hearn, what's sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander :( :( B) .Cheers, IAN

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)

Yeah, I think it's a bit rich of them to be taking the stand they have. I spent over $1m on my house and somehow they happily sell images of my property without my permission? And then turn around and say that I can't use those very same images that they are using, without my permission, in any way I like? Maybe we should all send google an invoice for royalty payments on every access to images containing our properties. I think that's fair and justified and might just give them a change of heart.

Great Idea Buzz, but I know people who have done that and they simply put a white triangle over their properties in GE and blur them out in Streetview.Whilst I jest on the subject, I do understand Mikes stance from the perspective of the terms of their licence, though wouldn't have thought it was beyond his power to get the terms changed.Google is still the best in terms of the overall coverage and quality.IAN

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)

Guest zodde

The main problem using Google nowdays (Im is using Google with version 8 of Tileproxy) is the fact that it will block your IP quite quickly since it detects that you are a "robot" downloading big areas is a short period of time.I have not found a way to circle my way around this and therefore Im in the process of building up a local cache over the areas I want to fly over in Sweden.I have spent 2-3 months in this process now and it is very slow. I unfortionally have a fixed IP so I cannot switch IP and continue downloading.However, I wont post the .INI file in respect of Googles license agrement. This is something I do personally and have no intention of sharing to others. (I want to, but I respect Google in this matter).But my bottomline, Google is worthless in Tileproxy unless you plan to spend several weeks/months mapping up a local cache.(Mine is now 4.5Gig and probably has to grow twice that before I have mapped what I want).I probably need to get a SSD Drive in the end to have acceptable access to this cache since NTFS isnt that efficient when there are sveral thousands of files in the same directory.

Guys,Whilst exploring Google's new Streel Level service, I found a picture of me stood outside of my office (causing considerable mirth amongst my colleagues, I might add).So it occurred to me that if they were using my image without my permission or a licence to do so, then I would be perfectly justified in using their images on the same basis.OK, they might argue that the image of me is a little blurred, but then, so are their sat pictures.So there you have it. My justification for using Google Earth with Tileproxy which allows me to counterclaim if they choose to litigate against me. All I need now is for someone to post a configuration file :( Please.PS - no offence to Google, great company and I love their business model, but take note Mr Hearn, what's sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander :( :( B) .Cheers, IAN

The Irony for me in this is that the other services have a missing hi-res tile of my specific area of the planet. I'm in a highly populated city, but for some reason where I am is an extremely low res tile smack bang in the middle of the city. So the only people that are using my image without my permission are the ones that won't give it to me.