Sign in to follow this  
C09G

How Do I do Approach With FMC?

I wonder how do I make an approach for landing at TNCM.I have FSBuild that inputs all the way points on my FMC.After that, I've no clue on making an approach landing (No ILS). I do know that I have to press the "DEP/APP" key and select a runway onR LSK 1-6.And I do have an approach plate for TNCM.Can you guys tell me in a simplistic way on how to do approach landings? I prefer it in step by step please.I appreciate you guys for helping me, as I'm still learning the master piece of the PMDG 747. -Vincent

I suggest not using FSBuild until you are very comfortable with flight planning... at least use it to help you get started but build the route yourself.Assuming you know the active runway, you can select either 10/28 runway for visual approach or one of the IAPs for runway 10. That is about it... if you don't know how to use the FMC I highly recommend the tutorials... there is much to learn and I think those will help you more than you think.

Dan Downs KCRP

May I ask where is the tutorials? I haven't found any except videos.Do you mean I should take FSBuild way points and input it myself?

Check out the PMDG Ops wiki knowlege base.That is one way, but better if you use airways (except for a few directs between fixes, airways make it easy). If you start at a fix on an airway, give her the airway and the last fix on the airway the FMS will automatically populate the flight plan with all the intermediate fixes along the way.Please do try the tutorials. There is one that is real short from KPAE to Moses Lake... all within the state of WA, but it gets you started. There is one for long haul (UK - KLAX).

Dan Downs KCRP

Thank you, I couldn't find the short flight KPAE to Moses Lake.Can you provide me the links and the long haul please?And I will do the tutorials.

Vincent, I'd do some autolands first. to see how it looks through the window, then do some ils landings without the autopilot on and practice to get the same results.Then do the same landings without setting the ils frequency (change it in NAV RAD page)... then you stand a chance of landing purely visual approches.All down to practice, practice, practice.John E

Thanks for your advice, I need a PMDG 747 tutorial and I found the long haul,but the download link is down.

Thank You I see how it goes.Got to go now.-Vincent

TNCM Princess Juliana International is an NDB/VOR approach and the inbound track is offset 3 degrees from runway alignment, so you would not be able to use the beacon to line you up perfectly with the runway with the autopilot. It really should be an VOR/NDB landing that you do, as is the case in the real world, although as far as I am aware, 747s do not currently do any scheduled flights into TNCM, although they used to, so the reality is that you'd probably use the FMC to get you to an inital approach fix and then do an NDB approach manually.I'll be honest with you, I've flown a lot of FS landings into TNCM and it's hard enough to do it in a smaller aircraft, let alone a 747, so it wouldn't be my choice of aircraft for learning to fly NDBs it's not an easy place to get a 747 down even visually.You could get around the limitations of what the FMC can do by creating a fix that puts you in line with the runway I suppose, but with no ILS at TNCM, the autopilot cannot bring you in there automatically (although, interestingly, one day that will be possible with ILS independent GPS approach equipment). You might potentially have a problem with the FMC database (if it is completely up to date) in that FS has the runway at Princess Juliana designated as Runway 9, which it is no longer, and is now runway 10, so that might throw your FMC and the simulated runway's alignment out of sync with one another.There are tutorials in FS for NDB approaches and although it's an old way of landing and one which most student pilots dread, if you master it you will be a much better pilot, so it is worth doing. The difference to bear in mind with an NDB approach is that you use the instruments (such as the ADF) to reference your distances, but you stick to the headings on the approach chart, so it is not like an ILS approach where you 'fly the needles'.Al

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

TNCM Princess Juliana International is an NDB/VOR approach
Nope, significant correction, it is either VOR or VOR/DME approach. No NDB there. TNCM is a perfect runway in FS to practice purely visual landings even in a 747.

Yup, my mistake, it is indeed DME - mind must have been elsewhere :(Incidentally, TNCM is the airport you fly a good many missions from in Wilco's Aviation and Mission add-on for their 737, and if you select the option to allow changes in the missions in that add-on, you can use other aircraft on the missions, including the PMDG 747 of course. Don't forget reverse thrust!Al

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here