Sign in to follow this  
JeremyB

Need advice on new computer

Hi,I need to buy a new computer because I can't use my old laptop to fly in FS. I did some research and I found a computer within my budget and I think it's a good but I need some advice. I want to be able to use FS2004 and maybe FSX (not really important), low budget (under 500$ CDN taxes & shipping included) and I don't need a monitor. This is what I found on Canada Computers:Visionary VK-100-AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+ 2,6 GHz Dual Core-2 GB DDR2 800 MHz (2 x 1 GB)-320 GB SATA-ATI Radeon HD 3200-Power Supply 450WPrice: 419.00$Shipping: 19.99$Taxes: 21.95$Final Total: 460.94$Finally, there is no OS included but I have Win XP Pro with my laptop, is there a problem using XP Pro with this system ? (I mean is XP Pro able to use all the ressources of a Dual Core)Thanks a lot for your help, this is really gonna help me as I'm not an expert in computers.Jeremy

You would have to buy a new copy of Windows XP for your new build.That machine would probably be all right for FS2004, keep in mind that the graphics card is an onboard chipset though.

DDR2 is practically free now, might as well jump up to 4GB. Also the GPU listed is one of the onboard variety, best to go with a discrete card even if its el cheapo.

As I said, I'm not an expert so why should I keep in mind that the graphic card is an onboard chipset, what is the difference ? If I don't want to spend too much and I only want to run FS9 is it ok ?

Onboard graphics are MUCH slower than graphics cards. You want a graphics card even if it's a cheap one.

Hi Jeremy - my computer specs are somewhat similar to the one you're looking at I have -AMD Athlon 64 X2 42002 gig ramEvga Gforce 6800 cs 512 mb video cardMine came with an onboard video chip and it is worthless for FS2004/FSX as it doesn't have the power or capacity to properly display the fantastic detail the flight sims have. I bought and installed the Gforce video card and find I get reasonably good performance with FSX and very good performance with FS2004. Keep in mind that my machine has a somewhat slower processor than the one you are looking at. I don't think you need more than 2 gig of ram as I've checked mine with a freeware program (I believe Memstatus or whatever), and I'm usually using up to about 1.5 gig in FSX at most. Needless to say I have to tone down some sliders but most are at or close to max (AI in fs2004 runs well! ). Also I like autogen at dense or above.Since the machine you are looking at has a good size power supply, you could easily get a pretty good video card for it. When I last checked video cards were not too expensive. AS someone said before, you need to purchase a copy of the operating system as well.Hope this helps.. Howard

You DON'T want onboard graphics - I remember couple of people around here saying that they had many troubles running FS9 in full screen, and they had onboard video. Get a graphics card, even a 50

Following all your suggestions I found another system at 474$ (taxes included):

• Dual Core Pentium Intel E2200 2,2 GHz
  • DDR2 2 GB
  • 320 GB SATA
  • Geforce 7100 NVidia
  • Windows Vista Family Premium

This one has a video card but I don't know if it's good for FS2004.Thanks again for your help guys, I'm progressing ;)

That's still integrated graphics, and actually slower than the other one you picked out. If you buy parts it's much cheaper than having a system built for you. Would you be willing to try that, or do you perhaps have a friend/family member that could help you build a system? You'll get a lot more bang for your buck that way.

I don't know enough about computers to build one myself and that's too bad because I know that you can have something a lot better if you build it yourself. Anyway, I found another system that may do the job because as I said all I want is a PC that can handle FS9 perfectly and that's it no need for FSX, I prefer FS9. What I could do is buy this system (I'm pretty sure the video card is bad) and I could buy another video card for exemple I found one on Canada Computers:ASUS EN8400GS SILENT/HTP/256M nVidia 8400GS Chipset 256MB DDR2 Dual Display PCI-Express Graphics CardAnd the system:Processor AMD Athlon 64 x2 5200+ (2x 512k Cache) Motherboard AMD AM2 690/740 Chipset Memory 2G Dual Channel (2x 1G DDR2 667 PC5300) Graphics ATI Radeon X1200 Hard Drive 250G SATAII 7200rpm Optical Drive 18x DVD

Sounds good (AMD 5200 and the GeForce 9500gt) - good luck. Just make sure that the computer has a Pci Express slot available before you buy it.Suggestion. If you do get any dual core AMD computer, I suggest you go to AMD's site and download their Dual Core Optimizer (free) and install it. Definately helps. Howard

Sounds good (AMD 5200 and the GeForce 9500gt) - good luck. Just make sure that the computer has a Pci Express slot available before you buy it.Suggestion. If you do get any dual core AMD computer, I suggest you go to AMD's site and download their Dual Core Optimizer (free) and install it. Definately helps. Howard
Thanks for the suggestion, I'll look at this when/if I get this PC ;)