Sign in to follow this  
Guest RET_1935

Hydroelectric Powerplants (Dams) Needed.

Guest RET_1935

Hello, first let me state I am not a scenery designer but I figured this would be the right forum to place this in. I use alot of graphical add ons such as GEX and UTX but even when just using default textures or landclass I have found that the huge hydroelectric dams of the pacific northwest as well as elswhere are simply missing. Massive structures like Dworshak Dam which is much larger in size/mass (although not quite as tall) than Hoover Dam is missing completely. Represented by a thin strech of dirt/earth that makes it look like an un-naturally formed lake.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dworshak_DamSame goes for Grand Coulee Dam and others presumably everywhere?I sure wish someone would take on the challenge of designing these beasts they are clearly visible from altitude forming naatural vfr landmarks as well as just making the scenery look correct.Respectfully,Robert

Hello Robert,Thank you for bringing this up. You are absolutely correct and the lack of dams (and generally of all hydrological features throughout the world) is one of the most glaring absences in the default scenery. The FS world is a dry and barren place without them.All of us are mostly dedicated to our personal projects, the places and things that we find most interesting. And those who think that something needs to be fixed are the best people to do so. Therefore, even if you have never attempted it, why not consider joining our ranks? Become a scenery designer and put those dams in place. It is not necessarily difficult and gets a lot easier with practice. And there are plenty of people here who will be glad to help you along and give valuable tips and indications.Best regards.Luis

Guest RET_1935

I just looked over the thread for beginers at the start of this forum and got to admit it looks like it's way over my head. I don't know a thing about programing or anything else, seems more than I could handle but I admit it would be fun to try.

Guest Dan G Martin
I just looked over the thread for beginers at the start of this forum and got to admit it looks like it's way over my head. I don't know a thing about programing or anything else, seems more than I could handle but I admit it would be fun to try.
Hi,For "simple" non animated objects one does not need to know any programing. You will however have to learn the needed tools such as Gmax and a few others. P.S. You will find lots of help here when ever you need it.So go ahead and download the needed tools and start to play around you might just find it great fun!Dan Martin Team Flight Ontario

Grand Coulee is included in the default FSX. You should see this:As for the other dams, do you have the latest UTX update? Version 1.3.1 includes most of the dams on the Columbia and Snake rivers.All you get though is a bare concrete edifice. To spice it up a bit I added a dynamic water spray effect to simulate an active spillway. Easy to do. Here's an example at The Dalles.John