Sign in to follow this  
Flyer Ken

RCS B25 now available

Not bad. Not bad at all. Haven't compared the flight dynamics to the `Briefing Time` package yet, but I like what I've tried so far. Really good interpretation of two-stage superchargers, but has anyone found the DME?http://www.roychaffin.com/rcs-panels.htmlChasW

Guest jaapverduijn

I like the RCS Mitchell, just as I like the MAAM Mitchell. There are differences of course, and that's where it becomes a matter of taste. After about an hour's pottering about with the RCS version, my very own personal taste likes the RCS sound and the RCS main 2D panel better than the MAAM sound and main panel, while on the other hand the same personal taste likes the MAAM flight model better than the RCS flight model, and the MAAM pop-up panels (or overlays) better than the RCS version. Both versions are outstanding in their own right, and both have distinctive but different strong points. Some of these are easy to combine: I wasted no time aliasing the RCS sound to my MAAM Briefing time!Jaap Verduijn.

The RCS version is free, but even then it's the same quality than the payware version. So how can one compare the 2 whitout considering that one of them is FREE, which make it quite a better deal if you ask me... hmm?

>The RCS version is free, but even then it's the same quality>than the payware version. So how can one compare the 2 whithout>considering that one of them is FREE, which make it quite a>better deal if you ask me... hmm?We knew this comparison deal would happen, oh well.If you look at the "big picture" you will realise (or maybe not!?) that they are both a good deal!!! The money from the MAAM project goes to a great cause, not in a pocket. I agree totally woth Jaap, the sound is awesome in this one, they are both "must haves". Thanks Roy and team, this is a great aircraft. Regards, Michael

Best, Michael

KDFW

Guest danowat

Hi,Does anyone know if the rcs B-25 is avaliable from a download location that supports resuming?.ThanksDan.

>It's been out five minutes, and already it's a matter of>comparison, what's right, what isn't ...>>Heck ....>>THANK YOU, ROY AND TEAM! Sorry to have to be the first in>this thread to say so.Of course it's a matter of comparison. Two very similar aircaft are released within a short space of time, one payware the other free, from developers who used to work together but now work apart. So comparison is entirely natural and to be expected I'd say. And both have relative merits over the other. I don't think anyone is yet suggesting one is `superior`, unless one considers the curious idea that payware-to-a-worthy-cause makes a product somehow implicitly superior to freeware, and at the same time impervious to criticism? Which would be an interesting slant (and possibly an unfair comparison?) on the freeware v. payware debate?As it's freeware, I appreciate it and have written Roy and the boys direct to say so. The faults are neither here nor there - if they're there (I haven't found any obvious ones so far save for the omission of the DME which seems strange when dual VOR's are included, but is obviously a choice that has been made. The PDI allied to the ADF compensates for this to a great extent as, with maps or FSNavigator in without-aircraft-cursor-mode one can cross-bearing in triplicate). Anyway together they contribute to the variation of FS aircraft. I personally am sick and tired of all the boring jet airliners, hundreds of them. Please let's have more classy classics like these!ChasW

Guest Matt Johnson

You can compare the two by saying that the one you pay for has its money going to a good cause -- perpetuating the aviation legacy. If that's not worth $25 of your money, why do you enjoy flight simulation? I would surely like to keep Briefing Time flying, and to see MAAM's P-61 back in the air would be fantastic -- being able to donate to MAAM for these efforts and get something back (a top quality airplane) is more than you usually get for a donation. :-)There is much to be said for freeware, but unfortunately in this case I (personally) have problems seeing that the ethics of the freeware author in question are entirely pure.Regards,--M

>There is much to be said for freeware, but unfortunately in>this case I (personally) have problems seeing that the ethics>of the freeware author in question are entirely pure.How so? As a senior figure within Avsim you are obviously in possession of information that the rest of us don't have.We've seen nothing to give any cause for concern other than the usual bickering between ex-associates (and that's not limited to the flight simulation community). And anyone trying to push such strife in the MAMM forum has had their post summarily removed. So maybe you could expand on your assertion?MAAM has absolutely no relevance outside of the United States. Their aircraft do not tour Europe (the R4D-6 is not flying at all), their museum was little known until the RCS Panels R4D-6 release. According to the website RCS have secured a tie-up with the prestigious Battle of Britain Memorial Flight (BBMF) which is of more relevance in mainland Europe than in the colonies. Donationware to follow, I suspect.Many `new` design teams have used a preliminary freeware release to highlight their payware products to come or have released freeware alongside payware - PSS and Carenado, associates of Avsim jump to mind immediately - Surely you are not suggesting that they also had agendas prompted by a free release?ChasW

Guest Matt Johnson

>How so? As a senior figure within Avsim you are obviously in>possession of information that the rest of us don't have.In this case, nothing more than can be found in and surmised from the public domain. >MAAM has absolutely no relevance outside of the United States.>Their aircraft do not tour Europe (the R4D-6 is not flying at>all), their museum was little known until the RCS Panels R4D-6>release.I am sure you actually mean the "R4D Team's R4D-6 release". Nowhere in the documentation for the release is "RCS Panels" mentioned. Roy Chaffin was a member of the R4D Team and provided the panel programming for the R4D. This is my final comment on the subject.You have also missed the fact that I actually live in the United Kingdom, and not in the United States. My interest in aviation does not stop at the coasts of the Atlantic Ocean, however, as you appear to surmise.>According to the website RCS have secured a tie-up>with the prestigious Battle of Britain Memorial Flight (BBMF)>which is of more relevance in mainland Europe than in the>colonies. Donationware to follow, I suspect.Should that come to pass, I will be more than pleased to continue my support of the BBMF.Regards,--M

Matt, That clears that up. But perhaps it might be prudent for you to remove the moderator motif from such messages, to avoid giving the impression that I obviously gained. And obey the forum rules - User conduct (A). Your comment could be easily taken as defamatory under UK law.Nice to see Avsim staffers are just as likely to have personal preferences as the rest of us! ChasW

Guest oyvindhansen

>You can compare the two by saying that the one you pay for>has its money going to a good cause -- perpetuating the>aviation legacy. If that's not worth $25 of your money, why do>you enjoy flight simulation?Matt, I partly agree with you about the worthy cause, but please keep in mind that $25 is not the same amount of money for everyone. Not every simmer has a salary, some simmers live in countries where dollars are expensive, some simmers are kids that would have to nag their parents for money and, admittedly, some simmers are just cheapskates. Your post seem to imply that those who can't or won't buy the MAAMsim donationware are lesser aviation enthusiasts than yourself.- Oyvind

>MAAM has absolutely no relevance outside of the United States.>Their aircraft do not tour Europe (the R4D-6 is not flying at>all), their museum was little known until the RCS Panels R4D-6>release. According to the website RCS have secured a tie-up>with the prestigious Battle of Britain Memorial Flight (BBMF)>which is of more relevance in mainland Europe than in the>colonies. Donationware to follow, I suspect.>Roy Chaffin Simulations (RCS...) was founded only AFTER the current R4D was completed. Roy tried to appropriate the entire project by calling it the "RCS R4D6" when his disagreements with the other members of the R4D team exploded over the direction of the project for FS2002.They split and the others (Jan Visser and Bill Rambow) continued under the name MAAM-Sim.>Many `new` design teams have used a preliminary freeware>release to highlight their payware products to come or have>released freeware alongside payware - PSS and Carenado,>associates of Avsim jump to mind immediately - Surely you are>not suggesting that they also had agendas prompted by a free>release?>The agenda of their free releases is press for themselves, not harm to another group or company and there's the difference.

>The agenda of their free releases is press for themselves, not>harm to another group or company and there's the difference.Then you, unlike Matt, must have evidence that justifies such a statement and I'm sure we all look forward to you presenting that information. Just do it right now, so that we all know that you speak the truth. By your way of thinking, Mr Frolov is evil incarnate for releasing a freeware Dash-8 to rival PSS, or FFX for making something that supposedly, to your warped methodology, competes against Flight 1 and their DC-9.What is it with knocking freeware developers? Where is the evidence, not hearsay and speculation? I don't see any other forum allowing this kind of malicious attack. Could it be that Avsim and MAAM have a financial association tucked away that feels threatened by this freeware release?http://www.avsim.com/lottery/_lottery.htmCan't we simmers just enjoy them both without being attacked? Or is part of the price of buying into the MAAM B-25 release an intolerance of other developers? Perhaps the Museum that shares its name with these developers would care to comment? ChasW