Sign in to follow this  
Guest delsutton2009

Aiming for reality!

Guest delsutton2009

Hello all.I'm really struggling with trying to order the best rig for FSX and trying to save money at the same time!I've read many posts that say that CPU is the most important thing, so I thought that the latest i7 would be perfect. However, I've emailed one of the major suppliers who have told me that i7 is only suitable for multithreaded software and that doesn't apply to FSX. They've recommended an Intel Core

Guest Alphahawk3
Hello all.I'm really struggling with trying to order the best rig for FSX and trying to save money at the same time!I've read many posts that say that CPU is the most important thing, so I thought that the latest i7 would be perfect. However, I've emailed one of the major suppliers who have told me that i7 is only suitable for multithreaded software and that doesn't apply to FSX. They've recommended an Intel Core

Hello all.I'm really struggling with trying to order the best rig for FSX and trying to save money at the same time!I've read many posts that say that CPU is the most important thing, so I thought that the latest i7 would be perfect. However, I've emailed one of the major suppliers who have told me that i7 is only suitable for multithreaded software and that doesn't apply to FSX. They've recommended an Intel Core™ 2 Quad Q8200 Quad Core Processor(2.33GHz,4MB Cache,1333MHz with a 1GB NVIDIA GeForce with CUDA 9600GT Graphics Plus - PhysX enabled, Dual DVI, HDTV, TV Out, which really works out a lot cheaper!! Can anyone give me a feel if this seems good, or for what I should be aiming at?
This belongs in the Hardware forum :( but the key is to get a processor that will run higher than 3GHz.You can either pay a bundle for a CPU that is certified to run at this speed or buy a CPU that will overclock to that level.Some benchmarks claim that an i7 gets 15% better performance in FSX than a C2D cycle for cycle, but that would imply having the mother board and DDR3 memoryto support it.

Bert

However, I've emailed one of the major suppliers who have told me that i7 is only suitable for multithreaded software and that doesn't apply to FSX. They've recommended an Intel Core

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Guest pete1_leeds

new 950 is due out soon, wait for that if you can

I've read many posts that say that CPU is the most important thing, so I thought that the latest i7 would be perfect. However, I've emailed one of the major suppliers who have told me that i7 is only suitable for multithreaded software and that doesn't apply to FSX. They've recommended an Intel Core

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Guest delsutton2009

OK, I've agonised over this for ages and struggled to justify my bank balance! But I've finally plucked up the courage to order a new rig. OK, I know it's not the best available but I felt I couldn't spend all my savings on a PC :-( It's due to arrive next Wednesday and I have to option to return it if I'm not happy, but hopefully it will do the job I want it to. It's:Intel Core 2 Quad Q8300 (2.5GHz)4Gb RAMATI Radeon HD 4650 (1Gb)750GbAnyone got something similar and got halfway decent results?

OK, I've agonised over this for ages and struggled to justify my bank balance! But I've finally plucked up the courage to order a new rig. OK, I know it's not the best available but I felt I couldn't spend all my savings on a PC :-( It's due to arrive next Wednesday and I have to option to return it if I'm not happy, but hopefully it will do the job I want it to. It's:Intel Core 2 Quad Q8300 (2.5GHz)4Gb RAMATI Radeon HD 4650 (1Gb)750GbAnyone got something similar and got halfway decent results?
Hm, well, what's the use of answering when you apparently didn't read (or at least didn't react to) earlier replies...? :( You were adviced to get an i7 or at least a CPU that runs at > 3GHz... and you ordered a 2,5 GHZ CPU. And if you would have read the hardware forums, it should have become clear a nVidia card is the best choce for FSX, and not an ATI card. If you are aiming for reality, you'd better listen to realistic advice. :( Luckily you have the option to return it, so if you don't get halfway decent results, you've still got the option to do ir right the next time. :(

Consider a Q9550 (if you can find one)... They're the best CPU for the dollar right now. Huge L2, 45nm, o-clock easily to 3.8Ghz.Of course.. you're limiting yourself to what's becoming an old "socket" (775).. but the Q9550 is pretty darn close to the i7-940 (dead-even in the o-clock world), for less than 1/2 the price.

Unless you have low standards, you're not going to be very happy with that rig, UNLESS you overclock that CPU. I don't even know what that 8300 will go up to.... maybe 3.2 if you buy a good cooler

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Guest hmstiger
Unless you have low standards, you're not going to be very happy with that rig, UNLESS you overclock that CPU. I don't even know what that 8300 will go up to.... maybe 3.2 if you buy a good cooler
The 920 is a great value - it overclocks beautifully and easilly with a good mother board. I'm running at 3.66 ghz with now problems at all.

OK here is what you have to do to get FSX running at its best.1. Call Wachovia and ask them for a big loan2. Call NASA3. Tell them you will give them 400 million to rent their supercomputer for a year4. Install FSX5. Post screenshots with FSX for bragging rights and to make us jelous of you being the only person to max every slider, getting 200 FPS.6. And last but not least, figure out a way to pay the gigantic energy bill!JK JK. I think your processors is fine, and you can always overclock. I think what people say about having a processor that is over 3 GHz is BS because frequency does not always matter. L2 and L3 cache on the processor can help performance a lot. Also things like SSE instructions (don't really have to worry about SSE though), and the architecture of the processor if you are willing to study those things. If you want an extra boost in performance. Get a motherboard that is a reliable overclocker and the problem is solved! I'd say you want a processor at 2.4 GHz at least.At least a Q6600 or a Phenom x3 8750.I recommend a C2Q 9400 or a Phenom II x4 920, 940 or the brand knew 950 if you want bragging rights about how smooth FS is and how good your FPS is though :(