Sign in to follow this  
Guest Paul_D

Best proccessor For FS9

I would like to know how did you get your motherboard to be stable at such high FSB? What is it, multi 9 or 9.5? Meaning FSB 450 or 470? I can't get my mobo stable past 400.
Hey Word Not Allowed,I wasn't ever able to break 4.0 with my old P5N32 board and DDR2. In fact my highest stable with this chip was ~3.8 and 4.0 would boot but was very flaky.Then I upgraded to the Maximus Extreme with DDR3 1333 running at 1400 and breaking 4.0 has been no issue. It was a 468x9.5, 470x9.5 will not Pass 48 hours Prime, 468 will but for my day to day (not benchmarking) I run at a 450x9.5 for a little over 4.25 with the mem at 1400. To hit 468 I have to back off the memory timings, not the speed.. Also, anything above 1400 on the memory and I have to start backing off the CPU so that is as hard as I push for the best compromise of CPU +Memspeed... The Motherboard runs liquid as well so temps are ~ 42 under full load in a 75F room. Cheers,-Paul

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg

Guest Paul_D

So what do you gies think I should buy in regards to a CPU that would work with my system specs...Paul ( Toronto ).

So what do you gies think I should buy in regards to a CPU that would work with my system specs...I personally think you should keep your processor and try to OC if you have the cooling and the MOBO for it.If not,I would go for the E8500,good speed/$ ratio.RichardPaul ( Toronto ).

Guest abarter
Thanks for the link to Tigerdirect, I had no idea this place existed, I wil compare there CPU prices with Canada Computers... See who has the best deal. So what do think, core2 Duo, or Core 2 Qaud? What do you thik is the best proccessor for FS2004 here?TigerdirectIntel Core 2 Duo E8400 Processor BX80570E8400 - 3.0GHz, 6MB Cache, 1333MHz FSB, Wolfdale, Dual-Core, Retail, Socket 775, Processor with Fan$248.99Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650 Processor BX80569Q9650 - 3.0GHz, 12MB Cache, 1333MHz FSB, Yorkfield, Quad-Core, Retail, Socket 775, Processor with Fan$482.99Canada ComputersIntel Core 2 Duo E8600 Socket LGA775, 3.33 GHz, 1333 MHz FSB, 6MB L2 Cache, 45nm $356.99Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650 Quad-Core Socket LGA775, 3.0 GHz, 1333 MHz FSB, 12MB L2 Cache, 45nm $438.99Paul ( Toronto Canada ).
If you are not scared of overclocking as described in other posts, I'd go for the E8400 and overclock it to 3.33. It's the same speed as the E8600 and you'll save $110. Or, if you have some extra cash, take the E8600 and overclock it to 3.7 or so. If you're not comfortable with overclocking, then go with the E8600.

Guest Paul_D

Sound advice, I think I will go with eh E8600, My B-day is in Two weeks so now I just have to pass it on to my wife....Hopefully I will notice a considerable difference.Paul ( Toronto ).

Hey Word Not Allowed,I wasn't ever able to break 4.0 with my old P5N32 board and DDR2. In fact my highest stable with this chip was ~3.8 and 4.0 would boot but was very flaky.Then I upgraded to the Maximus Extreme with DDR3 1333 running at 1400 and breaking 4.0 has been no issue. It was a 468x9.5, 470x9.5 will not Pass 48 hours Prime, 468 will but for my day to day (not benchmarking) I run at a 450x9.5 for a little over 4.25 with the mem at 1400. To hit 468 I have to back off the memory timings, not the speed.. Also, anything above 1400 on the memory and I have to start backing off the CPU so that is as hard as I push for the best compromise of CPU +Memspeed... The Motherboard runs liquid as well so temps are ~ 42 under full load in a 75F room. Cheers,-Paul
Hi Paul,I was asking because I saw many go over to 470-500FSB on the P4Q, and was only wondering why mine doesn't want to.Getting a Maximus mobo was a no-go for, financial reasons, though I knew it would bring more to OCing, especially because of DDR3 and high frequencies.No matter what I back off (both CPU and mem), mobo is unstable over 400, no matter how much on NB or SB I give her, very weird indeed.My P5Q is way hotter, about 45C in the 23C room, doesn't change if load or not, also liquid-cooled computer, but not on the NB/SB.
So what do you gies think I should buy in regards to a CPU that would work with my system specs...Paul ( Toronto ).
E8600 if you got the juice. E8500 if you want to save a bit juice (is a compromise).
Sound advice, I think I will go with eh E8600, My B-day is in Two weeks so now I just have to pass it on to my wife....Hopefully I will notice a considerable difference.Paul ( Toronto ).
You will, either way, but more if you OC.

Guest Paul_D

Thanks for all the help guys, it was very much appriciated.Paul ( Toronto Canada ).

Thanks for all the help guys, it was very much appriciated.Paul ( Toronto Canada ).
Before u go and start overclocking a new processor...try to o/c your old one. I'm guessing you can push it to 3,2 easy as long as you have adequate cooling. I'm running my e6750 on 400x8, rock solid and temps on idle are 39-40 and 55C under full load.See how u like the results- maybe the need for buying a new proc will be gone.regardsMetod

Metod Praprotnik

Before u go and start overclocking a new processor...try to o/c your old one. I'm guessing you can push it to 3,2 easy as long as you have adequate cooling. I'm running my e6750 on 400x8, rock solid and temps on idle are 39-40 and 55C under full load.See how u like the results- maybe the need for buying a new proc will be gone.regardsMetod
I agree,tried my E8500 with FS9 at both the stock(3.16) and OC to 3.8,and I really can't see a whole lot of a difference.Probably an OC would provide a sufficient increase in processor speed to avoid buying a new one.But I guess there are a lot of different parameters involved(RAM,video card..etc).Good luck in your search.Richard