Sign in to follow this  
Guest Matt Johnson

How about adding user comments to downloads?

Adding comments has been mentioned in a poll about rating, however perhaps the subject deservers its own thread. I am not talking about rating (i.e. 1 to 5) as this would be very subjective as to the procedure which prompted the given user rating. Also ratings based on downloads has the weakness of being influenced by the age of the file and the amount of 'press' the file receives.I am talking about allowing user comments on any given file. It should go without saying (I shall nevertheless say it) that any comment left would need to adhere to given guidelines and proper etiquette. User comment of a file would allow overlooked files which may not have as broad a marketability (for lack of a better word) as files considered 'hot files' to gain an audience. Let face it, we all have our own favorite ways to use FS and just searching for a file can sometimes give the prospective downloader little real basis to determine the quality and content of the file.I am sure with as many user as AVSIM has there would be plenty of volunteers to police the comments for appropriateness, in fact count me as one.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

We have considered this and for now decided not to go this route.Adding user comments to the Library would require a lot of administrative work, and we would also need to guard against inappropriate content, flames, attacks and the like. The only way to do this would be to have a "pre-moderation" system (similar to that used by the file uploads) -- but the sheer volume would likely make this prohibitive.I see nothing wrong with posting to these forums if anyone feels that a file is worthy of particular interest; indeed, such discussions appear commonplace in the main MSFS forum.