Sign in to follow this  
Guest CarbonBell

FMC Route

Guest CarbonBell

Hi All.I am a recent sim pilot and am really green when it comes to this.I am unable to get an automatic "route" when I place all other pertinent information into the FMC.Is there something else that I need to purchase and download? Or do I have to manually input the route into it?Sorry for what might seem to be a basic question but your assistance would be appreciated.Thanks in advance.I can't wait to get things going:)

Hi All.I am a recent sim pilot and am really green when it comes to this.I am unable to get an automatic "route" when I place all other pertinent information into the FMC.Is there something else that I need to purchase and download? Or do I have to manually input the route into it?Sorry for what might seem to be a basic question but your assistance would be appreciated.Thanks in advance.I can't wait to get things going:)
There are no "automatic routes" per se. After setting the departure and arrival airports, one must tell the FMC how to get there. There are a number of transitions and waypoints as well as jetways that can be used to arrive at your destination. Also different runways for take-off can affect the flight plan. Take a look at Flightaware.com and you'll see that there are different flight plans for the same departure and arrival airports. The only way to have an "automatic route" would be to program a flight plan into the FMC and then 'save' it. Later you can choose it and the plan will be loaded into the FMC.Jim D.EDIT: The manual contains detailed information with regard to using the FMC. I also want to add that that by choosing a transition at the departure point, that portion of the FPLN is "automatically" entered into the FMC. Then, you must fill in the rest from the transition fix to the arrival transition point. Remember that default ATC does not recognize the FMC plan. There are other threads addressing this issue here at AVSIM.Jim D.

I will add to Jim's good answer that the navigaton data is kept current by downloading current navdata (aka AIRAC) from Navigraph. There are two "parts" to navdata, one being the global definitions and the other being the terminal (local) definitions (these are referred to as sidstars). The trick is to keep both "parts" of the same vintage, or better yet keep them both current. That way, you can use real world routes such as those you can find at flightaware.com.Hope this helps.

Dan Downs KCRP

I don't think you said which aircraft but for the Boeings you can import a route exported in PMDG FMC format from a third party flight planner that supports, among FS formats, the PMDG format. In the FMC you go to Index\Navdata\Flight Plans. A list of saved plans shows up that you can scroll through with PREV and NEXT. LSK the route name to put it in the scratch pad area. Then go to RTE page 1 and LSK the the CO_ROUTE entry. ACTIVATE and the EXE. It will fill in your ORIGIN and DESTINATION airports and the waypoints in between.I use FSBUILD v2.3 payware which includes an AUTO ROUTE feature. I then after building and checking the route waypoint grid activate exports to PMDG 737/7476 and FS9 (FSX available as well) and BUILD. This exports the files to the correct folders. I use the FS9 format for Active Sky 6.5 and Radar Contact 4.3. This way the FMC, Radar Contact, and Active Sky get the same route. The vendor of FSBuild has been providing AIRAC updates at no charge frequently. If you include SIDs and STARs in the FSB route, those waypoints will be expanded and included in the exported .pln files and FMC route file. This way the ATC route is in sync with the entire FMC route and other than the final runway approach you would not use the FMC SID\STAR database. If you want to use the FMC SID/STAR database, you would only include just the transition points in the FSB route, but then ATC would not know about the SID/STAR routing. If you subscribe to NAVIGRAPH FMC updates and use the FSB same AIRAC then the FMC SID\STAR database should agree with the FSB database. There are lots of options here. You can easily also paste in filed r/w flight plans from sites such as flightaware.com which contains controlled filed flight plans for FAA airline, charter, and GA. You might have to change a terminal procedure name due to a revision such as from UKN3.UKN to UKN2.UKN to match FSB's SID/STAR database. The SID/STAR names are easily seen on the FSB airport area dropdown on the main route screen so you can catch any differences.I should mention that FSB coordinates with Active Sky automatically to assist in wind and temperature fuel planning that will print out on the FSB navlog. Many aircraft including the 747 and 737 have profiles in FSB that are close enough for fuel planning. You just input in time format taxi time, holding time, and extra time, plus a second alternate if needed and FSB will give you a detailed fuel requirements report.There are other planners available but I'm not aware of all their features. Some have auto-routing but I do not know if any export to the PMDG FMC format.Dan Downs provides free PMDG FMC procedure AIRAC updates for about 65 US airports via downloads in the AVSIM library Flight Simulator 2004 - AI Flight Plans section. Search for ddowns. For FAA airports you can use this to sync with any planner you use that supports AIRAC updates such as FSB.Thanks for these, Dan.

Flightaware is USA only. Is there a similar site around that caters for European flights? Thanks.

Keith Sandford.

Flightaware is USA only. Is there a similar site around that caters for European flights? Thanks.
This has been asked before without any answers. So my take is "No international sites as FlightAware".Jim D.

Guest CarbonBell
There are no "automatic routes" per se. After setting the departure and arrival airports, one must tell the FMC how to get there. There are a number of transitions and waypoints as well as jetways that can be used to arrive at your destination. Also different runways for take-off can affect the flight plan. Take a look at Flightaware.com and you'll see that there are different flight plans for the same departure and arrival airports. The only way to have an "automatic route" would be to program a flight plan into the FMC and then 'save' it. Later you can choose it and the plan will be loaded into the FMC.Jim D.EDIT: The manual contains detailed information with regard to using the FMC. I also want to add that that by choosing a transition at the departure point, that portion of the FPLN is "automatically" entered into the FMC. Then, you must fill in the rest from the transition fix to the arrival transition point. Remember that default ATC does not recognize the FMC plan. There are other threads addressing this issue here at AVSIM.Jim D.
Thanks very much for the assistance Jim. I appreciate it and hope I can work through things to figure them all out.Can I get in touch again if I have further questions? It seems to me that the questions will keep on coming hence this forum.
I don't think you said which aircraft but for the Boeings you can import a route exported in PMDG FMC format from a third party flight planner that supports, among FS formats, the PMDG format. In the FMC you go to Index\Navdata\Flight Plans. A list of saved plans shows up that you can scroll through with PREV and NEXT. LSK the route name to put it in the scratch pad area. Then go to RTE page 1 and LSK the the CO_ROUTE entry. ACTIVATE and the EXE. It will fill in your ORIGIN and DESTINATION airports and the waypoints in between.I use FSBUILD v2.3 payware which includes an AUTO ROUTE feature. I then after building and checking the route waypoint grid activate exports to PMDG 737/7476 and FS9 (FSX available as well) and BUILD. This exports the files to the correct folders. I use the FS9 format for Active Sky 6.5 and Radar Contact 4.3. This way the FMC, Radar Contact, and Active Sky get the same route. The vendor of FSBuild has been providing AIRAC updates at no charge frequently. If you include SIDs and STARs in the FSB route, those waypoints will be expanded and included in the exported .pln files and FMC route file. This way the ATC route is in sync with the entire FMC route and other than the final runway approach you would not use the FMC SID\STAR database. If you want to use the FMC SID/STAR database, you would only include just the transition points in the FSB route, but then ATC would not know about the SID/STAR routing. If you subscribe to NAVIGRAPH FMC updates and use the FSB same AIRAC then the FMC SID\STAR database should agree with the FSB database. There are lots of options here. You can easily also paste in filed r/w flight plans from sites such as flightaware.com which contains controlled filed flight plans for FAA airline, charter, and GA. You might have to change a terminal procedure name due to a revision such as from UKN3.UKN to UKN2.UKN to match FSB's SID/STAR database. The SID/STAR names are easily seen on the FSB airport area dropdown on the main route screen so you can catch any differences.I should mention that FSB coordinates with Active Sky automatically to assist in wind and temperature fuel planning that will print out on the FSB navlog. Many aircraft including the 747 and 737 have profiles in FSB that are close enough for fuel planning. You just input in time format taxi time, holding time, and extra time, plus a second alternate if needed and FSB will give you a detailed fuel requirements report.There are other planners available but I'm not aware of all their features. Some have auto-routing but I do not know if any export to the PMDG FMC format.Dan Downs provides free PMDG FMC procedure AIRAC updates for about 65 US airports via downloads in the AVSIM library Flight Simulator 2004 - AI Flight Plans section. Search for ddowns. For FAA airports you can use this to sync with any planner you use that supports AIRAC updates such as FSB.Thanks for these, Dan.
Thanks for your help Dan. I will definitely look into your recommendations and hopefully get things going in the near future. I'll lock myself away and say good-bye to my wife and children:))

There are various sources for routes... vroute.info has a wide selectioin of routes worldwide, part of the vatsim system I believe...rfinder.asalink.net has a free area which generates routes according to the current AIRAC you have...Sometimes you can generate PMDG format flightplans for the FMS from www.simroutes.com...Many roads lead to Rome... some are more direct than others :)Andrew

Thanks very much for the assistance Jim. I appreciate it and hope I can work through things to figure them all out.Can I get in touch again if I have further questions? It seems to me that the questions will keep on coming hence this forum.Sure. Remember though, read the manuals, look at departure and arrival charts when programming the FMC. Ask any questions here and I or others are always willing to give you the help needed.Jim D.