Sign in to follow this  
Guest sunbear

Asus P5Q3 Motherboard

Guest sunbear

Anybody using a P5Q3 Motherboard from Asus along with a Q6600? If so, what is the easiest way to put a mild overclock on it. Memory is 2 sticks of DDR3-1800 mhz capacity for a total of 2gig.jack

Anybody using a P5Q3 Motherboard from Asus along with a Q6600? If so, what is the easiest way to put a mild overclock on it. Memory is 2 sticks of DDR3-1800 mhz capacity for a total of 2gig.jack
I'm running a Q6600 on an Asus P5K and assuming that the BIOS is similar... it took just two steps to go from 2.4 to 3.2 GHz.Start up the computer and enter the BIOS by hitting the Delete key as the system is booting.Go to Advanced settings and look for Jumperfree configuration.1. Set PCIE frequency to 100 (this is to keep the hard drives and video card from being affected by the overclock)2. Adjust FSB frequency to speed up your CPU. The Q6600 multiplier being 9X, you can calculate your CPU frequency by multiplying FSB X 9Suggest you start by seeing if your machine will run at 2.8 (fsb=311), if OK try 3.0 (fsb=333).Monitor temperatures using something like Speedfan or the Asus PCprobe utility.I'm running my machine at 3.2 (fsb=356) using stock factory cooling.

Bert

Guest sunbear
I'm running a Q6600 on an Asus P5K and assuming that the BIOS is similar... it took just two steps to go from 2.4 to 3.2 GHz.Start up the computer and enter the BIOS by hitting the Delete key as the system is booting.Go to Advanced settings and look for Jumperfree configuration.1. Set PCIE frequency to 100 (this is to keep the hard drives and video card from being affected by the overclock)2. Adjust FSB frequency to speed up your CPU. The Q6600 multiplier being 9X, you can calculate your CPU frequency by multiplying FSB X 9Suggest you start by seeing if your machine will run at 2.8 (fsb=311), if OK try 3.0 (fsb=333).Monitor temperatures using something like Speedfan or the Asus PCprobe utility.I'm running my machine at 3.2 (fsb=356) using stock factory cooling.
Thanks Bert.When you say the q6600 multiplier being 9X, do you mean that the multiplier is ...fixed...at 9X by default? If so, I have a built-in utility on the MB that is entitled: "AI Tweaker". It is showing a FSB of 266mhz I believe and the settings are all on auto except for the AI overclock tuner which is set to manual. I wonder if I should change this setting in the bios to read: auto and let the AI tweaker do it's thing!! Since I'm new to this overclocking thing, I was hoping that somebody had the p5q3 board with this 'AI Tweaker' thing to kind of guide-dog me through it....Regards & thanks for your inputs.jack

Thanks Bert.When you say the q6600 multiplier being 9X, do you mean that the multiplier is ...fixed...at 9X by default? If so, I have a built-in utility on the MB that is entitled: "AI Tweaker". It is showing a FSB of 266mhz I believe and the settings are all on auto except for the AI overclock tuner which is set to manual. I wonder if I should change this setting in the bios to read: auto and let the AI tweaker do it's thing!! Since I'm new to this overclocking thing, I was hoping that somebody had the p5q3 board with this 'AI Tweaker' thing to kind of guide-dog me through it....Regards & thanks for your inputs.jack
Yes, the multiplier on the Q6600 is fixed. 266 X 9 = 2.4 GHz... that is the default.I believe the AI tweaker is the BIOS tab you need.Look here: http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/asus_p5q3/Try setting PCIE to 100 and FSB to 311 in the BIOS and save and re-boot..

Bert

Guest sunbear

Thanks for the assist Bert.