Sign in to follow this  
Guest c12@fft

help with power on issue

Guest c12@fft

Hello. I am fit to be tied here with a problem that crops up every couple of months. I have the following: an MSI P7N Platinum motherboard, a Q6600 CPU, 4 GB of RAM, a GeForce 8800GT video card, and a Coolermaster Elite 330 case.Here is the problem. Every so often the computer refuses to power up. The last time it did it, I took it to a friend after a week of sitting idle. It started up for him and ran flawlessly for 24 hours. I brought it home and was ok for a month..Then this AM I hit the power switch, and nothing...I use this computer for FSX only, and to watch hunting videos while exercising. Tonight when I get home from work I will check all contacts internally and hit the CMOS reset switch.Any suggestions, opinions, or ideas would be greatly appreciated.Thank you in advance for your help.Regards,Bill

Are you not even getting POST beeps? If not, have you checked the card is seated good and proper in the PCIe slot? Sometimes I know that the cards can creep a little, and may cause a machine to suddenly "stop working".

Louise

London, UK

Guest c12@fft

Hello leostr,I am getting NOTHING. It is the equivalent of it being unplugged and trying to turn it on. The "red" power light is on on the mobo. There is no attempt by the fans or anything. About 6 weeks ago it did the same thing. Being busy at work, it sat there for about a week, then went to a shop. They plugged it in and it worked fine. He ran it for 24 hours, no problems. I have not overclocked it or such, still getting the bugs out and FSX set as to how I want it.Tonight when I got home I pushed the CMOS reset, plugged the outlet cord in...NOTHING. About the card. This case has a very cheap slider system to hold the PCIe cards. And I also have "extensions" on the card to connect my two monitors. I will check all connections in the AM, and see if I have anything.Bill

So... you'll have a 24 wire connector to the MB, and another 4 wire connector to the MB. Those are secure?Sounds more like a problem with wiring between the power switch and the MB. trace those wires and make sure all are tight. Brand name rigs have a single connector for the power switch. Yours probably has 3 or 4 two wire connectors grouped together. If the computer is dead, you might try to wiggle them as you turn it on. Best would be to test each with an ohm meter if you suspect them.Bob

Bob

i5, 16 GB ram, GTX 960, FS on SSD, Windows 10 64 bit, home built works anyway.

Depending on the mobo model, that may well mean that the power is getting thru to the mobo itself. If it does nothing every now and again, it sounds to me like you've got a/couple of loose components, or they could expand and contract within their slots due to ambient temperature. My P6N came with a USB/LED display backplate - did your P7N come with that too? I've found that a real lifesaver in the past, as it tells me exactly what is happening. IIRC, I had a loose RAM chip (I had to keep taking the 4th 1Gb stick out to install Vista x64, since that originally had a problem recognising >3Gb during install. Would BSOD), and I experienced much the same - no POST and a blank screen. Wiggled the stick a little, and problem solved.

Louise

London, UK

Guest c12@fft

Hello all. I talked to someone in tech support at BFG, and they believe it is a faulty power supply. It is now on its way back to them. They were very helpful and very gracious. I bought it in Jul of 08. But didn't build until Oct of 08 due to some health issues.I sure hope it was the culprit. My new 26 inch widescreen monitor came the day I shipped th power supply out!!! OUCH.Thanks again for the help. I do not post on here often but visit the site a couple of times a day.Regards,Bill