Sign in to follow this  
Guest escargotnautique

md11 vor navigation

Guest escargotnautique

still new to md11 and going laboriously through the manuals. can get from point a to b with flight plans and sid star which work often enough... anyway would like to know through which screen on the mcdu one can get the aeroplane to follow or join a radial to or from a vor station. other than by programming it as a path in the flight plan that is. that would be acquiring the vor signal and have the aeroplane autopilot follow the radio signal, not the input from the gps or irs.any guidance will be appreciated.thanks in advance.michel labarre

1. Remain under 18,000ft2. Enter the VOR ident and course at 1L/1R on the NAV RAD page3. Press the VOR ARM prompt at L2/R2Paul

Guest cliffie1931
1. Remain under 18,000ft2. Enter the VOR ident and course at 1L/1R on the NAV RAD page3. Press the VOR ARM prompt at L2/R2Paul
This question interests me too. Thanks for such a concise, clear answer Paul.Cliff

Guest escargotnautique
many thanks for your answer. much appreciated.michel labarre

Guest BlueRidgeDx
What's the significance of remaining below 18,000?Regards,Nick

Guest BlueRidgeDx
The VOR hold feature was not meant for the en route phase, only approaches.Paul
Interesting tidbit. I didn't know this about the MD-11.We were flying from MEM to CMH in the CRJ about a year ago with the entire FMS deferred. So we had to manually tune the VOR's along the way and use the VOR mode of the autopilot (which is almost never used, even for VOR approaches). "Tracking" a VORTAC radial resulted in us meandering all over the place, constantly rolling left & right, resulting in headings as much as 15deg left or right of course, and two dots of course deviation.We finally just asked ATC for a heading, and switched to HDG mode to prevent 50 sick pax. We continued to watch the CDI swing wildly back and forth +/- dots until we were within about 40nm of the station.So anyway, in the CRJ its not prohibited, but it doesn't work very well either.Regards,Nick

We were flying from MEM to CMH in the CRJ about a year ago with the entire FMS deferred. So we had to manually tune the VOR's along the way and use the VOR mode of the autopilot (which is almost never used, even for VOR approaches). "Tracking" a VORTAC radial resulted in us meandering all over the place, constantly rolling left & right, resulting in headings as much as 15deg left or right of course, and two dots of course deviation.We finally just asked ATC for a heading, and switched to HDG mode to prevent 50 sick pax. We continued to watch the CDI swing wildly back and forth +/- dots until we were within about 40nm of the station.Regards,Nick
Even in a C414 at FL220 tracking the VOR signal comprises of a series of S-turns. Normally we are using the Garmin530 but if it is out then I use HDG and just keep the HSI looking smart. Unlike MSFS, the winds don't radically change so a HDG will hold a TRK for quite some time.

Dan Downs KCRP

Interesting tidbit. I didn't know this about the MD-11.We were flying from MEM to CMH in the CRJ about a year ago with the entire FMS deferred. So we had to manually tune the VOR's along the way and use the VOR mode of the autopilot (which is almost never used, even for VOR approaches). "Tracking" a VORTAC radial resulted in us meandering all over the place, constantly rolling left & right, resulting in headings as much as 15deg left or right of course, and two dots of course deviation.We finally just asked ATC for a heading, and switched to HDG mode to prevent 50 sick pax. We continued to watch the CDI swing wildly back and forth +/- dots until we were within about 40nm of the station.So anyway, in the CRJ its not prohibited, but it doesn't work very well either.Regards,Nick
Why noy just use HDG SEL to track the radial? Or do it the way your CFI showed you...Left hand on the yoke, right hand on the power, and a finger on the chart? :( Paul

Guest BlueRidgeDx
Why noy just use HDG SEL to track the radial? Or do it the way your CFI showed you...Left hand on the yoke, right hand on the power, and a finger on the chart? :( Paul
Right. Thats what we did. If you notice, my previous post stated:"We finally just asked ATC for a heading, and switched to HDG mode to prevent 50 sick pax. We continued to watch the CDI swing wildly back and forth +/- dots until we were within about 40nm of the station."The reason we tried it the other way first, is because the FOM states that if "White Needles" aren't available when flying a radial or airway, the autopilot Roll Mode shall be engaged in NAV mode and coupled to the onside VOR as the Nav Source (Green Needles). Thats why. :(It's the same reason why you don't fly the glideslope in V/S mode.Regards,Nick

Nothing against "thinking Boeing", and selecting HDG SEL for tracking.Why not "thinking MD11", and use TRK?Regards,Harry

The reason we tried it the other way first, is because the FOM states that if "White Needles" aren't available when flying a radial or airway, the autopilot Roll Mode shall be engaged in NAV mode and coupled to the onside VOR as the Nav Source (Green Needles). Thats why. :( It's the same reason why you don't fly the glideslope in V/S mode.Regards,Nick
I was just poking fun at you. I'm unfamiliar with the CRJ. I take it white needles indicate FMS guidance?It's interesting that you should mention that though' I've heard it several times from airline pilots. Whenever I fly, (172) the VOR needle seems less sensitive than I'd imagine. Consequently, I can change heading maybe 15 degrees and it still stays centered. Then again, I've never used the 172 AP to follow an airway.
Nothing against "thinking Boeing", and selecting HDG SEL for tracking.Why not "thinking MD11", and use TRK?Regards,Harry
Shame on me for not thinking MD11Shame%20On%20You.gif. Bad Check Airman. Baaaaaad Check Airman.Paul