Sign in to follow this  
ahinterl

MD-11 (FS9): Path construction troubles

Just for testing, I tried to construct a path from KSEA to CYYJ with SID and STAR and all. The result was a strange depiction of the path at the destination, see the attached screenshot.I tried to ease the situation by editing the approach part by hand. Basically, the important portion is: CONDI-CONDI/260/15-MBNB (260/15 is just an example). I tried the PBD waypoint further away from MBNB both in distance and in angle. The result is that this waypoint is never planned to be overflown but extremely generously bypassed. In fact, the plane turns where the magenta line is on the ND, and I never succeeded to construct a path which allows for a smoother and more controllable approach. Speed scheduling is compromised by that lateral path.If I leave the STAR intact, the path is even more strange and results in loc overshoot and a very adventurous series of turns and a frightful autoland capture.What do I do wrong?Andreas

Well, I got hold of the charts available at vatcan, to see if I could work out the issue you have...I would strongly recommend you looking at the charts, as all routes to ILS09 in CYYJ would require you to approach from the North...The procedures files for SIDs and STARs come from Navigraph initially, there are a few on avsim in the library for various airports. It might be worth checking out a new file...Here is the chart file from vatcan: http://www.czvr.ca/_Pilot_Resources/_Chart...C/cap2BCocr.pdfCheck out pages 219 onwards (marked in the document as pages 233 onwards)...Andrew

Thank you. The route I selected was only for testing, I choose a different one in the future since terrain aroung CYYJ is very high and that approach I did looks dangerous to me.Nevertheless, this was not the only occurrence of a strange route depiction for me.It all started when I tried to fly a right hand traffic pattern at GCTS where I was unable to get a clean, elliptical route on the ND.Same for the CYYJ approach, whatever I try, the magenta line never even comes close to the PBD waypoint. If you experiment a bit with standard entries to the FMC, you get the weirdest depictions on the ND. And the bad thing is that the plane exactly flies the magenta line!I know from the LDS767 that route depiction can look strange at first, but when flown, the quirks disappear. Not so for the MD-11...Maybe the cause is really that selecting a special STAR prevents the star to properly connected to the remainder of the route since the're problems with the AIRAC data...All I can try is to construct the route by hand without choosing any SID and STAR...Andreas