Sign in to follow this  
Dougal

New DierectX Update

Microsoft put up a small DirectX update yesterday - don't know how important it is though.

Microsoft put up a small DirectX update yesterday - don't know how important it is though.
Hi Dougal:I believe you are referring to this DirectX update:DirectX End-User Runtimes (March 2009) (Validation Required) :( http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=enPersonally, I prefer to use this "Direct" link... 'cause I'm usually in a big rush to get the latest DirectX update: :( http://download.microsoft.com/download/3/C...2009_redist.exeGaryGB

Guest rdg
Hi Dougal:I believe you are referring to this DirectX update:DirectX End-User Runtimes (March 2009) (Validation Required) :( http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=enPersonally, I prefer to use this "Direct" link... 'cause I'm usually in a big rush to get the latest DirectX update: :( http://download.microsoft.com/download/3/C...2009_redist.exeGaryGB
Hi,I could not figure out if there were any updates in this for bugs or improvement. At the top of the page it basically mentioned that developers can now include the runtime stuff. Not sure if there is anything in this as far as improvement for the end user.Bob

Hi,I could not figure out if there were any updates in this for bugs or improvement. At the top of the page it basically mentioned that developers can now include the runtime stuff. Not sure if there is anything in this as far as improvement for the end user. Bob
Hello:Perhaps this might clarify the contents further: :( "The DirectX redist installation includes all the latest and previous released DirectX runtime. This includes the bi-monthly D3DX, XInput, and Managed DirectX components."http://downloads.guru3d.com/DirectX-End-Us...nload-1943.html"OverviewMicrosoft DirectX is a group of technologies designed to make Windows-based computers an ideal platform for running and displaying applications rich in multimedia elements such as full-color graphics, video, 3D animation, and rich audio. DirectX includes security and performance updates, along with many new features across all technologies, which can be accessed by applications using the DirectX APIs."http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=enI would always install the latest DirectX "End User Runtimes"... they're only posted if they do something pertinent for end users. :( Hope this helps! :( GaryGB

Guest rdg
Hello:Perhaps this might clarify the contents further: :( "The DirectX redist installation includes all the latest and previous released DirectX runtime. This includes the bi-monthly D3DX, XInput, and Managed DirectX components."http://downloads.guru3d.com/DirectX-End-Us...nload-1943.html"OverviewMicrosoft DirectX is a group of technologies designed to make Windows-based computers an ideal platform for running and displaying applications rich in multimedia elements such as full-color graphics, video, 3D animation, and rich audio. DirectX includes security and performance updates, along with many new features across all technologies, which can be accessed by applications using the DirectX APIs."http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=enI would always install the latest DirectX "End User Runtimes"... they're only posted if they do something pertinent for end users. :( Hope this helps! :( GaryGB
Hi Gary,I agree with you 100%, but what are the improvements, do you know?ThanksBob

Hi Gary,I agree with you 100%, but what are the improvements, do you know?ThanksBob
Hi Bob:I am having little success finding specifics on what has changed in general for DX9 much less DX10, but apparently this DX Runtime download is regarded as a must-have for Vista users; I doubt any functioning DX11 runtimes would be in the runtime this early before "Vista Redux"... er, Windows 7 and actual DX11 capable hardware ships. :( As to Windows XP users using SP3, some have reported that the installer said there was "nothing to update", so for those that did not install SP3 (like me!), this would be worthy of installation for bug fixes specific to DX that were incidentally installed by SP3.The important thing to consider here is that there are likely incremental bug fixes that Microsoft puts in (which the programming teams don't want to publicize for their own sake of PR and job security) that do more good ... than harm for multimedia, gaming and simming (FS).I doubt that there is any sneaky anti-piracy or WGA stuff in the "directly-downloaded" DirectX Runtime Update packages that were likely contained in the full Windows XP SP3 package, Automatic Online Updates, or the "DirectX Web Installer" applet. :( MS normally wants to keep the DX update package sizes as small as they can to minimize download times (they are bigger every version because they always include prior updates inside the package... thus an incentive, IMHO, to limit content to just DirectX rather than including other "mischief" files. :( Hope that helps! B) GaryGB

Guest rdg
Hi Bob:I am having little success finding specifics on what has changed in general for DX9 much less DX10, but apparently this DX Runtime download is regarded as a must-have for Vista users; I doubt any functioning DX11 runtimes would be in the runtime this early before "Vista Redux"... er, Windows 7 and actual DX11 capable hardware ships. :( As to Windows XP users using SP3, some have reported that the installer said there was "nothing to update", so for those that did not install SP3 (like me!), this would be worthy of installation for bug fixes specific to DX that were incidentally installed by SP3.The important thing to consider here is that there are likely incremental bug fixes that Microsoft puts in (which the programming teams don't want to publicize for their own sake of PR and job security) that do more good ... than harm for multimedia, gaming and simming (FS).I doubt that there is any sneaky anti-piracy or WGA stuff in the "directly-downloaded" DirectX Runtime Update packages that were likely contained in the full Windows XP SP3 package, Automatic Online Updates, or the "DirectX Web Installer" applet. :( MS normally wants to keep the DX update package sizes as small as they can to minimize download times (they are bigger every version because they always include prior updates inside the package... thus an incentive, IMHO, to limit content to just DirectX rather than including other "mischief" files. :( Hope that helps! B) GaryGB
Whew is right LOL. Ask a man what time it is and he builds you a watch. Just kidding really. I do appreciate knowing what others know. I do have a vista 64 build so I will turn on auto-update and see what I get. Thanks again for a very informative update on this. I am continually amazed that we have so many folks that have more info than most on certain subjects. This is definately a plus for the community. RegardsBob

Just ran the DX installer on my V64 and it said "DirectX setup has detertmined that a newer or equivalant version of DX has already been installed. No installation is neccesary". I haven't updated DX since last August.

Regards, Kendall