Sign in to follow this  
BlueStar

B747-400ER/ERF

Does PMDG have an upgrade to bring the -400/400F up to -400ER/ERF specifications? I would like to fly some of the long flights and the -400 comes up a couple hours short on fuel. I considered going into to *.cfg file and making the necessary adjustments, but I was afraid that might adversely affect the balance.Bill

I Earned My Spurs in Vietnam

There is a very good probability that altering the cfg will severely mess things up. The sim does not use the msfs datum for moments, it is modified to use the actual datum (arm length from the front of the plane instead of from the static cg).They don't have the ER modelled.

Dan Downs KCRP

There is a very good probability that altering the cfg will severely mess things up. The sim does not use the msfs datum for moments, it is modified to use the actual datum (arm length from the front of the plane instead of from the static cg).They don't have the ER modelled.
Dan,Thanks for the reply. Maybe the ER/ERF is the new mystery plane. :( Bill

I Earned My Spurs in Vietnam

Dan,Thanks for the reply. Maybe the ER/ERF is the new mystery plane. :( Bill
Mystery plane is J41

I would like to fly some of the long flights and the -400 comes up a couple hours short on fuel.
Hmmm. A 747-400 can't fly far enough for ya? Talk about a tough customer. When's your birthday? I'll get you a 777-200LR or an A340-500.Paul

Loose a few passengers and throw their bags out too. Keep strictly to your step climbs and you too can easily fly LAX to Melbourne direct as QF93, or Sydney to San Fransisco, or Brunos Aires to Sydney. or whatever ER route you're wanting to fly :( Activesky only, as close to the real flight time as possible, with a real flighplan (Flightaware as much as possible, this is to get proper winds). Done it in the standard -400 plenty of times. (Theyre the routes QF use their -400ER's on mostly)Hong Kong to New York's also a fun one over the North Pole (or very very close to it at least)If you don't hit FL400/FL410 by the end, you're carrying too much stuff. Chuck some people off :(

Guest CX355
Loose a few passengers and throw their bags out too. Keep strictly to your step climbs and you too can easily fly LAX to Melbourne direct as QF93, or Sydney to San Fransisco, or Brunos Aires to Sydney. or whatever ER route you're wanting to fly :( Activesky only, as close to the real flight time as possible, with a real flighplan (Flightaware as much as possible, this is to get proper winds). Done it in the standard -400 plenty of times. (Theyre the routes QF use their -400ER's on mostly)Hong Kong to New York's also a fun one over the North Pole (or very very close to it at least)If you don't hit FL400/FL410 by the end, you're carrying too much stuff. Chuck some people off :(
AA flt Chicago to Delhi...777 Vincent

AA flt Chicago to Delhi...777 Vincent
I can easily do that with the 747 and the md-11 can do it nicely too even at 400.000lb zfw

Guest CX355
I can easily do that with the 747 and the md-11 can do it nicely too even at 400.000lb zfw
Pretty amazing how far aviation has come. My first airplane ride was on a Super Connie KSFO to ROAH w/ two refueling stops, Pearl and Wake. Those were the days....... :( VincentP.S. as Jimmy Stewart once said "you use to take pride in ...Just getting there"

You can always add 6480 us gallons of fuel when it's low enough simulating the 2 x 3240 gallon tanks. Can't add to the weight though lolJohn E

I flew from LAX to Melbourne once, filled the old girl to the brink and then put as much passengers and cargo to MTOW. I got there, but less than 10,000lbs of fuel left at the end. Started chewing the fingernails halfway between Fiji and the east coast! Not as much as the virtual pax in the back, I guess.Cheers, Chris D

I was wondering the same thing about a modelled 747 400ER/ERF, and found nothing across the web..For your information, i did modify the .cfg file, and everything went well so far... I just modified the fuel center tanks capacity, by incrising it to a value that i don't remember, but you can find it on the Boeing website..Cheers,Daveoops "increasing it"... :-)

UA does LAX/SFO to SYD, IIRC that is a 400 not a ER. Even the ERs have to stop at SYD or NAN every blue moon for Jet A.

Guest icecone

It doesn't seem to take PMDG a lot of work to create a 400ER model, why not do it?Sam

You can always add 6480 us gallons of fuel when it's low enough simulating the 2 x 3240 gallon tanks. Can't add to the weight though lolJohn E
Found this thread in a search because I was wondering about the -400ER It looks to me that the -400ER is essentially the same as the -400 but with extra tanks (which increases the ZFW over the -400), so I can see that editing the .cfg to add additional fuel tanks would be disastrous. My question is, would there be any problem simply editing the .cfg file to add the fuel capacity to the existing center tanks? Dan Downs said it would screw everything up, but someone else said they've had no problems. Can someone from PMDG weigh in on this?Fidel Lopez