Sign in to follow this  
slip-stream

unusual VNAV to FLCH switch

I arm the auto throttle and select V and L NAV as per normal procedures. Soon after rotation I select central command and VNAV changes to FLCH. Is this normal? Once FLCH has selected the speed (V2 + 10) is maintained during the climb and therefore I never get to retract flaps. Could anyone explain if this should occur? Many thanks,

Keith Sandford.

I arm the auto throttle and select V and L NAV as per normal procedures. Soon after rotation I select central command and VNAV changes to FLCH. Is this normal? Once FLCH has selected the speed (V2 + 10) is maintained during the climb and therefore I never get to retract flaps. Could anyone explain if this should occur? Many thanks,
Keith!I guess you are referring to the 747-400?I always arm the VNAV, but not the LNAV, since I usually in the climb out of the flight, follow the rwy heading and sometimes get vectored by ATC (RC4) to the initial fix in my flightplan. When on track, I finally arm the LNAV. I only use FLCH when I have to decent ordered by ATC and always only down to 10 000 feet. After that I use VNAV or simply VSPEED.I never had a prob, with retracting flaps, according to speedtape when climbing, using VNAV in climb.EDIT: But you can also see PMDGs Manual "Flight Techniques" page 9-9 / Leffe

Fly the speed bug on departure. The FLCH mode is due to lack of speed control using pitch. Be sure your MCP SPD is set to V2+10, then on initial climb use the green trend bar to adjust pitch to hold speed close to V2+10. There is a really good writeup in the Flight Techniques manual on this procedure. Be sure to read it.

Dan Downs KCRP

Thanks for that Dan, point taken. That theory makes perfect sense. I spend too much time looking out the window, when I obviously should be looking elsewhere.

Keith Sandford.

Keith!I guess you are referring to the 747-400?I always arm the VNAV, but not the LNAV, since I usually in the climb out of the flight, follow the rwy heading and sometimes get vectored by ATC (RC4) to the initial fix in my flightplan. When on track, I finally arm the LNAV. I only use FLCH when I have to decent ordered by ATC and always only down to 10 000 feet. After that I use VNAV or simply VSPEED.I never had a prob, with retracting flaps, according to speedtape when climbing, using VNAV in climb.EDIT: But you can also see PMDGs Manual "Flight Techniques" page 9-9 / Leffe
Leffe, is there any reason why you don't use FLCH below 10,000? How do you select and comply with an ATC assigned descent during approach below 10,000 using only VSpeed? I always use FLCH for this, but if there a better way, I'm all ears!Justin

Leffe, is there any reason why you don't use FLCH below 10,000? How do you select and comply with an ATC assigned descent during approach below 10,000 using only VSpeed? I always use FLCH for this, but if there a better way, I'm all ears!Justin
Decending assigned by ATC (RC4) beginns always some 10-15Nm before TOD.So when reaching 10 000 feet and 250kts, I nearly always, only have to make small decent rates, to the FAF and I like to make manual inputs when flyingregarding speed and V/S up to FAF. Sometimes however, I wait with V/S until reaching 5 000 feet. It all depends on airports and charts.Vertical speed is the preferred mode for small, controlled altitude changes, but have no speed protection, I know! but I find it challenging, mastering speed and decent rate, without having an overspeed or stall of the ac. But that

Guest Alias
EDIT: Regarding the MD11, one can from cruise to FAF, nearly sit with one hands in the pocket, the ac will handle everything automaticly and that

Thanks for all the tips and alternative methods. How is RC4? I remember installing RC3 and had nothing but trouble until I uninstalled.

Keith Sandford.

Guest Alias
Thanks for all the tips and alternative methods. How is RC4? I remember installing RC3 and had nothing but trouble until I uninstalled.
Uh..well that's great I can't live without it. And version 5 will be even better.

Couldn