Sign in to follow this  
Guest A_Delta_Sierra

X-Plane piped 2 FS2002?

Guest A_Delta_Sierra

Assumption:FS2002 is the eye-candy leader and X-Plane is the flight dynamics leader.Has anyone worked on "piping" the x-plane heading, speed, altitude, pitch, control surface status, ... to FS2002 so we can have both. Many of us have home networks and machines that can run either sim.Isn't this what the Microsoft net pipes are designed for?From the SDK"If you have a data set generated by an application other than Flight Simulator, you can use that information to drive the visuals in Flight Simulator 2002. You can even send partial and incomplete data and let Flight Simulator determine the missing the values.The steps for this procedure are: Transform that data into the format described in this document. Use the WM_COPYDATA technique described in the preceding section to connect that data stream to an instance of Flight Simulator 2002. Feeding data to Flight Simulator.The playback mechanism in Flight Simulator works by running the simulation and view systems and using the incoming data to override the object properties with the values specified in the data stream. If the data stream includes only Latitude/Longitude/Altitude information, the simulation will slave the movement of the user

X-Plane uses OpenGL, FS uses Direct3D.Completely incompatible programming languages. I suppose some aspects of each may be portable, but not the core elements.ChasW

Guest A_Delta_Sierra

Thanks Chas for the comment. I think I must have failed in presenting the idea. The two programs would be "merged" only via netpipes.All that x-plane "has to do" is make available the heading, airspeed, altitude, pitch, roll, ... and an "external program" will use the Microsoft netpipes to "spoon feed" that data into FS2002 as described in the netpipe sdk.The external program is what is needed if x-plane can broadcast the flight data in real time. FS2002 will use that data as if it was coming from a recorded flight.OpenGL and Direct3D are not a factor. X-plane runs on one machine and FS2002 on the other networked machine. No changes are required in the coding of FS2002. The key coding question is: Can X-plane currently broadcast the key flight data so an external program can take it and pass it to FS2002?Bob

That's a really interesting idea, Bob, but what would happen if the two sims differed in elevation data? Wouldn't you have a situation where flight sim thinks you're 20 feet over the threshold and xplane has you 15 feet under ground (and therefore crashed)? Also I imagine that the runways, taxiways etc wouldn't necessarily line up, so you might be taxiing on the runway in FS, and in the rough in X-plane. In other words, the feed back from the flight model in X-plane might not match the visual feedback from FS.

it has been reported by someone on a x-plane discussion group has accomplished just that. if you're interested, i'll see if i can find the post/poster for youjd

Guest A_Delta_Sierra

Yes, Very Interested. Please post the link if you can find it.Many thanks, no need to invent a wheel twice!Regards,Bob

>Assumption:>FS2002 is the eye-candy leader and X-Plane is the flight>dynamics >leader.>It's always been an assumption, a myth, or perhaps a false legend...........While some X-Plane models travel at a tremendously fluid frame rate, I've never found one that exceeds some of the flight qualities now available with some of the better 3rd party models for FS2002.X-Plane seems to have a problem with simulating weight and inertia. Too many of the aircraft "feel" the same, whether it's a large commercial aircraft or GA. It also has trouble with hitting "numbers". Something the "lookup tables" appear to do better.FS2002 even performs simpler tasks such as the left drift tendencies while traveling down the runway and climb. A particular FS2002 add-on also performs spins and slips better than X-Plane as well as other aerobatic manuvers. In the end, while I do fly X-plane once and a while, it's greatest advantage is the fluidness of flight, which is probably do to the lack of MSFS type scenery, and it's smoother animation of instruments.L.Adamson

Guest JonP01

Larry beat me to it. My early experiences with x-plane suggested to me it was the better sim as far as flight dynamics are concerned. With the introduction of certain 3rd party add-ons (for example the SF260), I came to realise that the MS sim was actually more than capable of reproducing a realistic feeling of flight. And as far as GA flying in x-plane is concerned, the weather (wind, gusts, turbulence) modelling is so overdone, that if everyone flew like that in real life they would be selling more sick bags than McDonalds sell Big Macs. As far as I am concerned, X-Plane has only one advantage over MS, and that is the refresh rate and response time of the gauges.

Guest A_Delta_Sierra

Sorry guys,I started this out with a clearly labeled assumption, and I do not want to get in the "my daddy can whip your daddy" discussion. That is not what this topic is about.why not leave each to his own and lets not try and change anyone's mind on the assumption. But do keep bringing up points that may generate challenges.In adddition to the X-plane data feed, I would like to expand it to be able to take recorded real time data, such as that available here,http://rob.com/lancair/flights/2003/and push it through FS200x to allow replay of real flights using the netpipes.Thanks and keep the comments/observations coming.Bob

>Sorry guys,>>I started this out with a clearly labeled assumption, and I do>not want to get in the "my daddy can whip your daddy">discussion. That is not what this topic is about.>>why not leave each to his own and lets not try and change>anyone's mind on the assumption. But do keep bringing up>points that may generate challenges.>I have no complaints regarding a combo X-Plane and FS2002 "eye candy" if that's what you want to do. Some users of FLYII do the same with FS2002 airport scenery.But you did start the post with "assumption". For all we know, a beginning flight simmer who hasn't flown a real aircraft (for comparison sake) might see this post and begin to immediately "assume" your "assumption"............... if you get my point. I'm just offering a "counterpoint".L.Adamson

Guest panzerschiffe

This is what someone posted in the X-plane features newsgroup:"Why converting scenery ? You can use both simulators at the same time.http://daniel.leygnat.free.fr/xplane/Xconnect002_FS2002.jpgOn this picture I am flying X-Plane 6 but I have a window with FS2002 to display the scenery.To link the two simulators I use XConnect on the X-Plane side and FSUIPC.DLL on the MSFS side. You need a fast PC to do this. My AMD 1 Ghz is not the best for that. ;-)Or better, you can use two computers."So there you go

Guest A_Delta_Sierra

Thank you for the information. Looks exactly like what I had in mind.So, if you want, you can biuld your aircraft with the X-plane tool set and get the dynamics correct, without being an expert, and enjoy it in the eye-candy of MSFS. Now, if Rutan used it (we don't know to what degree/detail), would you use it for your homebuild? A leading question for the debate on x-plane. ;-) Thanks again the information on the crossing!Bob