Sign in to follow this  
rgamurot

Notes on the PHNL Area for V5

I've semi-recently got my PPL and realized that some of the names of the facilities here are different than what most people would think. Here at PHNL, you still have Honolulu Clearance, Ground, and Tower, but outside of that, it's all HCF (ie. HCF Departure, HCF Approach, just HCF everywhere in between.) During a tour of the center here, it turns out the reasoning is that they had to change the name of the center to Honolulu Control Facility when they moved from Diamond Head to the airport. That way apparently, the entire facility could stay together and the funding wouldn't have to be split. The only exception I've noted is Maui Approach and Hilo Approach and Departure and I've never hear Kaneohe at all (they tend to keep to themselves).Also, I don't know if V5 will still have VFR capability but if so, just as a note (if this is even possible) VFR squawks for PHNL are 02xx and Hilo is 51xx.Just thought these would be interesting notes for V5 if its not too late.

I've semi-recently got my PPL and realized that some of the names of the facilities here are different than what most people would think. Here at PHNL, you still have Honolulu Clearance, Ground, and Tower, but outside of that, it's all HCF (ie. HCF Departure, HCF Approach, just HCF everywhere in between.) During a tour of the center here, it turns out the reasoning is that they had to change the name of the center to Honolulu Control Facility when they moved from Diamond Head to the airport. That way apparently, the entire facility could stay together and the funding wouldn't have to be split. The only exception I've noted is Maui Approach and Hilo Approach and Departure and I've never hear Kaneohe at all (they tend to keep to themselves).Also, I don't know if V5 will still have VFR capability but if so, just as a note (if this is even possible) VFR squawks for PHNL are 02xx and Hilo is 51xx.Just thought these would be interesting notes for V5 if its not too late.
you can specify different vfr codes in v4 today. same in v5. i'm not going to try to compile a list of vfr codes for all the different areas.i can probably change the center name, if that is necessary. but not much i can do for departure and approach.jd