Sign in to follow this  
Carabou

I7 processor - neagative comments?

Hi Folks, I'm considering getting a new computer and have read many good comments about the new I7's. I'm interested in the I7 920. So far I've only seen good comments about this processor and I was wondering if anyone has any negative comments about it for running FSX.thanks Howard

The only negative comment you will get from me is about the price of a corei7 based system

Price is really the only negative comment I can think of.

CPU: Intel i7 920 @ 4gHz for FSX w/Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme Motherboard: ASUS P6T Deluxe OC Palm Memory: 6GB (3x2gb) OCZ3P1600LV6GK Case: CM690 PSU: PC Power & Cooling 750W OS: Vista64 SP1 Main HDD: 500GB WD Caviar Black SATA FSX Drive: 300GB WD Velociraptor

GPU: EVGA GTX285 Vanilla

Guest Alphahawk3
Price is really the only negative comment I can think of.
Price is a negative if you have a 775 M/B that you can stick a much better CPU in than what you have for 200 bucks and gain some performance.....but if like me and you only have an P4 3ghz and there was nowhere to go except new everything....then it is not a negative. I was not going to dump a grand in an system that is already showing it's age ...no matter what Quad I got the i7's were out and I would have been buying old technology. I have to admit that had I known there would be no FS11...don't want to start any new arguments here, but there probably will not be.....I would not have bought a new PC. But it is bought and I have purchased the FTX series of sceneries and I could not be happier with FSX and am anxiously awaiting FTX Pacific Northwest. I have nothing to do with FTX but to me it has transformed FSX into the next step above what we had. The reason I mention this at all is I think once one sees what PNW will look like people will want it and while FTX will work fine on older CPU's the i7 series really makes that scenery shine.....some of the airports are quite detailed. I am reading good things about the Phenom II CPU so maybe you might want to check that out. Regards

Thanks folks for your quick reply. Hey Alphahawk3 - I agree 100% about FTX - Fantastic. I don't need FS11 as long as I've got FTX scenery. Is your new system an I7 920? Do you find FTX is much smoother etc. in areas such as Warnervale (payware) and Coffs harbor (payware)? I currently have an older AMD 2 X 64 4200 which I've been happy with. I might consider the Phenom II but the I7 sounds pretty good as well. Good flying all Howard

An overclocked i7 920 at 3.8+ is a nice CPU, but for FSX it is NOT dramtically different from a core 2 quad at 3.8+.Maybe 5-10% faster fps, but thats only 1-3fps diff in tough areas.FSX stutters when stressed even with an i7.We have been throwing new tech at FSX for a long time its improved but not tamed.The change from P4 to a core 2 quad was impressive.The change from c2q to i7, less impressive.If someone is buying a new PC, go i7, but if you have a system with decent FSX performance, save your $.

Guest simjunkie
An overclocked i7 920 at 3.8+ is a nice CPU, but for FSX it is NOT dramtically different from a core 2 quad at 3.8+.Maybe 5-10% faster fps, but thats only 1-3fps diff in tough areas.FSX stutters when stressed even with an i7.We have been throwing new tech at FSX for a long time its improved but not tamed.The change from P4 to a core 2 quad was impressive.The change from c2q to i7, less impressive.If someone is buying a new PC, go i7, but if you have a system with decent FSX performance, save your $.
Agreed, in terms of FPS the difference is not a dramatic increase. However, you get much more than just fps out of it. With the clocked i7 and 1600+ memory the scenery is crystal clear. I could never get the amount of detail with my C2D (E6850) and C2Q (Q6600) and DDR2 that I get now. It's just stunning at times. As an aside, what really reduced my stutters was unlimited FPS and bufferpools of 200mb.-jk

Guest Alphahawk3
Thanks folks for your quick reply. Hey Alphahawk3 - I agree 100% about FTX - Fantastic. I don't need FS11 as long as I've got FTX scenery. Is your new system an I7 920? Do you find FTX is much smoother etc. in areas such as Warnervale (payware) and Coffs harbor (payware)? I currently have an older AMD 2 X 64 4200 which I've been happy with. I might consider the Phenom II but the I7 sounds pretty good as well. Good flying all Howard
I have all of the Orbx scenery except Warnervale. I have been flying with the 920 since the i7's were released and here are my results. It is spring here now and I will be fishing and switch to golf and will take up FSX again in October when I have surgery. I will be laid up for several months........at which time I will buy Warnervale and anything else Orbx has ready to go. During this time of year I only spend a little time flying....but in the winter months it is sometime as much as 12 hours a day. I can't speak to a core 2 quad CPU as I have no experience with one. My 920 is clocked to 3.6ghz...safely....no heat problems...and I have DDR3 1600 mem. I also use the FPS Limiter app. I have no stutters...even at YMML. My VC is the bottle neck in my system. It is a 9600GT and the 920 sends it more than it can really handle in some places. But I can't say I have any problems. Everything is maxed out except autogen..and sometimes I will max it out depending on where I fly. Traffic...commercial and GA is set at 54 percent. I have FEX...GEX...XGraphics and some good payware aircraft...Bush Hawk XP....SF 260...Flight1 172...Cirrus SR22 and a few others. I have no problem with any of them. I set up FSX using Nicks guide and I use nHancher. Before I read about the FPS Limiter App the i7 920 would have huge surges if you set the FPS slider to unlimited in a rural area. I would set it at 60 out of Alice Springs and it would stay locked at 60. At YMML I would set it at 30 and after climb out it would stay at 30 unless viewing toward the airport at which it would drop to high teens but still no stutters. May I say I look at the FPS as a small way to measure certain sets of performance and do not believe it is an indication of how smooth the flying is. Locking the FPS like this I had smooth flight and hardly ever saw even a micro stutter. After installing the FPS Limiter App I just leave the FPS slider set to unlimited everywhere and I have not even seen a micro stutter. Using the app you will find that with the i7 you can throw all the storms and rain you want to at it and it will not change a thing. You can read about the FPS app in the forums but with an i7 and even some of the higher end quads it really changes the way FSX works...smoothness and also texture loading comes into play also. All I can say is I am very pleased and when I do get a new VC and Orbx starts releasing scenery for the USA I will be in flight sim nirvana. Good luck with your choice. Regards

I have all of the Orbx scenery except Warnervale. I have been flying with the 920 since the i7's were released and here are my results. It is spring here now and I will be fishing and switch to golf and will take up FSX again in October when I have surgery. I will be laid up for several months........at which time I will buy Warnervale and anything else Orbx has ready to go. During this time of year I only spend a little time flying....but in the winter months it is sometime as much as 12 hours a day. I can't speak to a core 2 quad CPU as I have no experience with one. My 920 is clocked to 3.6ghz...safely....no heat problems...and I have DDR3 1600 mem. I also use the FPS Limiter app. I have no stutters...even at YMML. My VC is the bottle neck in my system. It is a 9600GT and the 920 sends it more than it can really handle in some places. But I can't say I have any problems. Everything is maxed out except autogen..and sometimes I will max it out depending on where I fly. Traffic...commercial and GA is set at 54 percent. I have FEX...GEX...XGraphics and some good payware aircraft...Bush Hawk XP....SF 260...Flight1 172...Cirrus SR22 and a few others. I have no problem with any of them. I set up FSX using Nicks guide and I use nHancher. Before I read about the FPS Limiter App the i7 920 would have huge surges if you set the FPS slider to unlimited in a rural area. I would set it at 60 out of Alice Springs and it would stay locked at 60. At YMML I would set it at 30 and after climb out it would stay at 30 unless viewing toward the airport at which it would drop to high teens but still no stutters. May I say I look at the FPS as a small way to measure certain sets of performance and do not believe it is an indication of how smooth the flying is. Locking the FPS like this I had smooth flight and hardly ever saw even a micro stutter. After installing the FPS Limiter App I just leave the FPS slider set to unlimited everywhere and I have not even seen a micro stutter. Using the app you will find that with the i7 you can throw all the storms and rain you want to at it and it will not change a thing. You can read about the FPS app in the forums but with an i7 and even some of the higher end quads it really changes the way FSX works...smoothness and also texture loading comes into play also. All I can say is I am very pleased and when I do get a new VC and Orbx starts releasing scenery for the USA I will be in flight sim nirvana. Good luck with your choice. Regards
Ditto for me.

Jim Wenham

Many thanks for the detailed and informative info. I7 sounds like it just may be the machine for me. I'm not one who is in awe of FPS as smoothness is much more important. I've read other posts about the I7 which indicate that while their fps with I7 may not be high they still have extreme smoothness. I also use the FPS Limiter and also see more smoothness using it. ALso, it reduces the % of cpu useage posssibly putting out less heat. I think you'll like Warnervale as it covers a large area and is very detailed.In my case bicycle riding takes a good amount of my time in spring/summer/fall but I still try to fly a few hours a week. In a way I'm happy to see spring come along as it almost forces me to get on the bike and play outdoors. Otherwise I'd spend most of time in front of the computer playing in Australia (and soon PNW). Good luck with your surgery and happy flying. Howard

If anyone is interested, Micro Center currently has the I7-920's boxed for $199. Best price I've found, so I snatched one today! Also Asus PT6 board is $229.www.microcenter.com

If anyone is interested, Micro Center currently has the I7-920's boxed for $199. Best price I've found, so I snatched one today! Also Asus PT6 board is $229.www.microcenter.com
WOW that is a good price. just yesterday did i pick up my i7 920 and P6T from the local store for $479+tax. had i only known... although, i prefer buying at the store even for a few more $$$ because it is so much easier to return if something is not workling right. we all know how delicate hardware can be.regards,

Denis Kosbeck

KPHX