Sign in to follow this  
karim_

MD-11 VNAV CLIMB RATE

Hello Guys,I am experiencing VERY high climb and descent rates on the MD-11 when I set it VNAV...Does Somebody know why and how to reduce it a little bit?And is this also happening in real life or not?Regards.

Please sign you posts in this forum... pretty vague observation: How high is VERY high and what is your TOGW? Try derate?

Dan Downs KCRP

Hi,sometimes I have 6000 ft/min and more than 20 degrees on HSI.I don't know if this is normal or not, so I would like to know that, and if this happens in real also ..Bye.

If you arent carrying a lot of weight or fuel, then yes, high climb rates are normal. Even with a heavy load, fast/high initial climb rates are very much the norm, even in real life. This airplane is highly overpowered in real life, and PMDG has done a fine job of accurately modelling this.

Hi,Okay. I putted the full pax configuration, and took off but still the maximum rate I had was 4.9 (4900 Ft/Min).I don't think that this is a normal climb rate..Maybe the people who flew it can tell me if this is normal or not..Thanks.

The MD11 is a real stunner on the initial climb, so get used to very high body angles, especially below 10,000ft. She'll do well until somewhere in the mid twenties, where heavy weights will cause an anemic rate of climb. She'll still be over 1000fpm, but won't be able to keep up with the more sporty 767 ;).Paul

There's nothing wrong with high climb rates - you WANT to get up to cruise quicker for fuel economy... Many airliners can climb very quickly when lightly loaded - I remember reaching cruise in less than 10 minutes on a 757 that only had 15 or so passengers on it.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Hi,Okay. So I think I have to get used to it then.Maybe I have to set the Climb Trust manually?

Hi,Ok but im just not familiar with this high rates.. In other aircraft everything is different in climb rates/descent rates...Once a controller asked me whats going on because I was only 2NM from the Runway and I climbed trough 5000 Ft Already ...BTW I have another question.. How do you know how many meters to set in the FMC for your pushback?Regards.

Heres my problem with high climb rates. When I press FMC speed - it drops to about 190, then I go into lo thrust protect mode and the climb is brought back down to about 1800. Im probably missing something here, but any advice would be welcomed. Thanks guys.Blake

You could use CRZ thrust during the climb to get a more sedate climb rate. I have seen this done in the real world. The reason they would want to do that is to save wear on the engines and extend engine life.

Tom Landry

PMDG_NGX_Tech_Team.jpg

BTW I have another question.. How do you know how many meters to set in the FMC for your pushback?
What was your name again?