Sign in to follow this  
Guest SpeedBird192

MD-11 just jump in and fly?

Guest SpeedBird192

MD-11 looks like a fantastic aircraft.I love the attention to detail and realism, and in my own time I plan to explore those details. However, my first question -- is there a jump in a fly option or will I be forced to go thru the startup procedures and everything else need to do a quick test flight?Thanks, Rob.

You can always have it load with engines running and ready to go!I hope in the future you get the oppurtunity to load it Cold and Dark and learn this systems...the MD-11 is quite enjoyable after you learn the ins and outs.Good luck to you sir!

Rob-There are a few pages in the FMC that you'll most likely want to initialize before pushing the throttles up- but after you've set them oncce or twice- it'll take you <30 seconds...No REQUIREMENT to init those pages- but you'll have to ignore the airplane complaining about it during the first portion of the takeoff roll. :-)The MD-11 as marvelously automated- so if you init those pages you'll find it's basically like a big C-172 from that point on....(Okay- a REALLY big C-172....)

Robert S. Randazzo coolcap.gif

PLEASE NOTE THAT PMDG HAS DEPARTED AVSIM

You can find us at:  http://forum.pmdg.com

To check how long it takes to go from cold and dark to flying with ALL systems working and panels setup as they should, I just started a flight with a cold and dark cockpit on the runway, so no taxiing. I started the stopwatch when the C&D state was loaded and after setting things up using the load manager. I did not talk to ATC and I started all three engines at once (instead of starting them one by one). I also loaded a company plan into the MCDU (instead of entering it manually: I did enter the take off runway though). After 4.50 minutes I had left the ground with a completely well setup plane.So even when you do set everything up the way you should, it won't take you much time!

Guest SpeedBird192

Excellent, thanks for the input folks. I do want to learn all the systems, but I like to see how she flies first before I start diving into the details.The details come on a Sunday morning with a big cup of coffee, lots of flight planning, and reading -- so I'm a little late on push back, not my dime and I don't mind "disrupting" those passengers -- heheCheers, Rob

I think you could set it up properly once (eg engines running, correct FMS weight, takeoff init etc for the loaded fuel, set flaps, autobrake, stab trim etc) and then save the panel state. Next time just reload the panel state and it should be right to go.

Matthew S

To check how long it takes to go from cold and dark to flying with ALL systems working and panels setup as they should, I just started a flight with a cold and dark cockpit on the runway, so no taxiing. I started the stopwatch when the C&D state was loaded and after setting things up using the load manager. I did not talk to ATC and I started all three engines at once (instead of starting them one by one). I also loaded a company plan into the MCDU (instead of entering it manually: I did enter the take off runway though). After 4.50 minutes I had left the ground with a completely well setup plane.So even when you do set everything up the way you should, it won't take you much time!
How in the world did you do that when it takes the IRS 10 minutes to align?

Eric Szczesniak

How in the world did you do that when it takes the IRS 10 minutes to align?
Guess he reduced the align time in the options menu.Rob

Rob Prest

Guest Olivier

I think you could set it up properly once (eg engines running, correct FMS weight, takeoff init etc for the loaded fuel, set flaps, autobrake, stab trim etc) and then save the panel state.I totally agree with this - I have a couple of situations saved, ready to take off, arrivals... which allow me to "work" on different things without having to set up the whole plane. It works really great.Happy flying,Olivier

You should definatly go through the tutorial, it gives you a quick introduction on how the aircraft functions etc. :)Ps. Robert, have anyone ever told you that you look abit like Christian Slater on that picture? :( - Philip

What Philip said.You're probably going to end up in a parking lot 3 miles down range from the runway you departed from if don't do the tutorial. The PMDG 747 is a "mash the thottle and go", the MD11 is not ....based on my :( experience.

You should definatly go through the tutorial, it gives you a quick introduction on how the aircraft functions etc. :)Ps. Robert, have anyone ever told you that you look abit like Christian Slater on that picture? :( - Philip

Guess he reduced the align time in the options menu.Rob
I sure did. :( Even when I am not rushing, like I did with this 'test', I am usually ready to move (pushback and taxi) within ten minutes. And I don't like to wait for IRS aligning in that case. I think I set it to 3 minutes or something like that, because I DO like to select the align option in the MCDU myself! :(

Guest pegase

4.50 minutes from C&D to TO is indeed an impressive performance :( But I think it is possible for some pilots (not me...). A ellow from my VA succeeded to get ready and releasse brakes in such time. Just he DID NOT set the IRS align time :( As result, a blind manual flight from Marseille to Nantes following barely his flight plan on FSNav :( On my side I never had to wait with the 10 minutes IRS alignment. Getting the winds, entering flight plan, settings the VOR NDB to follow the SID in case off, making some post adjustment due to FSPax load differences... Never been ready in less then half an hour !!