Sign in to follow this  
mrcaveman

Beech king air falls out of the sky

Simmers,I have only been flying fsx a couple of days now but noticed on an ILS approach using the autopilot the aircraft turns on final just fine, but it drops from the sky like a lead balloon. When this happened I openned up the trim window and noticed it was maxed out for trim up. Nothing left. My only fix was to edit the config file and set the elevator tim form 1.0 to 2.0. This fixed the problem. Now when I open the trim window it is not bottomed out on approach and lands great. Did anyone else have this problem? Thanks

Simmers,I have only been flying fsx a couple of days now but noticed on an ILS approach using the autopilot the aircraft turns on final just fine, but it drops from the sky like a lead balloon. When this happened I openned up the trim window and noticed it was maxed out for trim up. Nothing left. My only fix was to edit the config file and set the elevator tim form 1.0 to 2.0. This fixed the problem. Now when I open the trim window it is not bottomed out on approach and lands great. Did anyone else have this problem? Thanks
These "design problems" do occur, but it is also possible that you are flying a bit too slow for the autopilot to handle.If you need excessive nose up correction, it may be that you need more throttle or flaps. Try hand flying the same approachand get a feel for how much you need to correct to keep from stalling.

Bert

Bert is spot on. The proper way to correct the problem is to adjust your flying...Adjusting a .cfg file entry isn't solving anything at all; it's merely masking the real problem... :(

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Bert is spot on. The proper way to correct the problem is to adjust your flying...Adjusting a .cfg file entry isn't solving anything at all; it's merely masking the real problem... :(
That was the first thing I made sure of was my power. Even at a 15000 lb the V speed is only 109 indicated with a flaps on approach. I keep my approach higher to insure a safe landing. With the correct landing speed the auto pilot can not maintain proper altitude without excessive power. At least at my end it drops below proper altitude. By changing the aircraft file it works fine at the correct landing speed. Thanks for the input.Kspi
That was the first thing I made sure of was my power. Even at a 15000 lb the V speed is only 109 indicated with a flaps on approach. I keep my approach higher to insure a safe landing. With the correct landing speed the auto pilot can not maintain proper altitude without excessive power. At least at my end it drops below proper altitude. By changing the aircraft file it works fine at the correct landing speed. Thanks for the input.Kspi

Another thing you may want to try, is to download Alexander Metzger's improved flight model from:http://www.metzgergva.de/default_e.htm

Bert

Guest napamule

Generally, when doing an ILS landing your speed should be faster than 'usual'. Unless your runway is not long enough, in which case you shouldn't be doing any ILS landings on those. If you ck your FD it should tell you to go up (or go down) and this requires ONLY give (or take) of throttle, and/or flaps, but not ANY manual pitch input. Your 'needing' extra pitch points exactly at insufficient speed (ie: throttle). Also, how much fuel do you have left? Details count. Good landings don't just 'happen' (ILS or not). Cheers.Chuck BNapamule