Sign in to follow this  
Kosta

External View in FSX

Hello,As a veteran of FS9, I am kinda "forced" to install FSX, due to PMDG releasing its new product as FSX-only, and I get all their products due to quality.I have a simple question now:How do I manage my views in FSX?In FS9, I was normally rotating with the hat switch, and the distance, I changed it through the menu.In FSX, as far as I know, there is a key, I believe it is Ctrl and + or - to go near or further away. Is there anything else, like, somehow with the mouse or so?? I only found mouse for zooming, but I actually want greater distance, not zoom.

Forget about using the "+" and "-" keys. That method of zooming in and out is rubbish, and a total waste of programming time and resources. It's much better to use the "chase distance" keys. These are assigned as "Ctrl +" and "Ctrl -" in the keyboard commands list, but I changed them to "Z" and "X" respectively (mainly because that's what I was used to in Flight Unlimited 3). The rate of chage of distance from the camera is rather slow, but at least it works properly!

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Forget about using the "+" and "-" keys. That method of zooming in and out is rubbish, and a total waste of programming time and resources. It's much better to use the "chase distance" keys. These are assigned as "Ctrl +" and "Ctrl -" in the keyboard commands list, but I changed them to "Z" and "X" respectively (mainly because that's what I was used to in Flight Unlimited 3). The rate of chage of distance from the camera is rather slow, but at least it works properly!
I know about Ctrl+ or Ctrl- to change the distance, as I said in above post. This is pretty slow... What if I wish to change to big distance quickly? Or to very close up - takes very long.

You could try assigning it to a camera view preset, that way when you go thru the views, you have the set preset view you want.

Best, Michael

KDFW

Guest napamule

There is two ways to do this. (1). Hit 'Ctrl+Spacebar', then 'Backspace' (arrow). This will set it as in initial loading distance, usually way far back, and 1x zoom. The same effect as would happen in reloading the flight (even if flying, and AP set-it's ok). (2). Use your joy hat switch, pressing 'down' direction, and repeat for closer and closer (until you are 'almost' inside the a/c, if you keep going). May have to use 'Shft+Enter' and/or 'Shft+Backspace' to adjust height. Tricks of the trade.Chuck BNapamule

I'm reviving this old topic for one reason only:I've found a solution, a great one also.I've always been able to assign "View Chase Dist Add/Sub" in FSUIPC to any key I wished for.The speed at which the view moved forward or backward was terrible, taking sometimes times about 30second to move the view out of in.In FS9, this option was done with entering numbers.Now, I have a final solution for my problem:Logitech G13! The macro-keyboard can be set to a repeat-rate. I have my currently mine set to repeat a button I/O on the keyboard at 7ms rate, giving me pretty quick chase add/sub in the spot view.I set up my mouse to the mouselook, and one of the keys on G13 to activate it too.I can very quickly zoom out, if I wish to see where I'm on the airport or when checking out the scenery and I want to zoom out of the aircraft to have higher view... all in all, great solution.And if it gets too fast, only change the number to higher delay between repeats and I have slower, smoother chase view changes.Ahh... the magic of FSUIPC+G13+Linda. Love it.If anyone is interested into detail, just post here, I'll be happy to share any details.

Who's Linda?Just kiddin' - I wonder if the G11 has this capability. I have never used the macro keyboard for anything, it just gets in my way. So maybe I'll try it out.I would like to hear more about it Word Not Allowed. Thanks.

G11 should be able to handle it too.You already probably have assigned chase distance to ctrl + and -.Just assign keys on G11 to those keys and set the delay between 5 and 10 ms.