hi,i am thinking about that overdue system upgrade (for FSX). right now i am running an AMD64 3500+, 2GB ram, 7800GT that is almost 4 years old now.what i have in mind is the i7 920 cpu with the ASUS P6T board and probably a GTX260. from what i have been reading the 920 could be easily overclocked to 3.5 GHz. now i am not all that proficient when it comes to overclocking but it seems doable to me (with some help from all you guys :( ).where i am kind of lost is the decision for the RAM. there are many many choices and the price range is large. i would assume buying the cheapest memory out there is not necessarily going to be the best choice for what i have in mind.i am hoping that i could get some advice on what memory (brand, speed, timing, voltage, etc.) would be the best choice for the above combo with the overclocking in mind?help would be greatly appreciated!regards

Denis Kosbeck

KPHX

Guest Nick_N
hi,i am thinking about that overdue system upgrade (for FSX). right now i am running an AMD64 3500+, 2GB ram, 7800GT that is almost 4 years old now.what i have in mind is the i7 920 cpu with the ASUS P6T board and probably a GTX260. from what i have been reading the 920 could be easily overclocked to 3.5 GHz. now i am not all that proficient when it comes to overclocking but it seems doable to me (with some help from all you guys :( ).where i am kind of lost is the decision for the RAM. there are many many choices and the price range is large. i would assume buying the cheapest memory out there is not necessarily going to be the best choice for what i have in mind.i am hoping that i could get some advice on what memory (brand, speed, timing, voltage, etc.) would be the best choice for the above combo with the overclocking in mind?help would be greatly appreciated!regards
i7 clocking requires 1600 memory or faster3x2GB DDR3 1600 7-7-7 timing, that will do it for you and you need the 64bit OS to really take advantage of the higher memory amount

i7 clocking requires 1600 memory or faster3x2GB DDR3 1600 7-7-7 timing, that will do it for you and you need the 64bit OS to really take advantage of the higher memory amount
thanks Nick. if i could please ask two more questions: 1) if i ever upgrade to a faster cpu (i.g. 965 when it gets affordable next year or even later) will that memory still be fast enough or is the one you recommend the best for only the 920? 2) if i had the choice between ram with the same speed but different timings should i go with the higher timings or the lower ones? or only 7-7-7? i am just asking because if i find one on sale for cheaper than the 7-7-7 but with different timings should the timing numbers be higher or lower? or ist it a little more complicated than that?thanks!regards

Denis Kosbeck

KPHX

Guest Nick_N
thanks Nick. if i could please ask two more questions: 1) if i ever upgrade to a faster cpu (i.g. 965 when it gets affordable next year or even later) will that memory still be fast enough or is the one you recommend the best for only the 920? 2) if i had the choice between ram with the same speed but different timings should i go with the higher timings or the lower ones? or only 7-7-7? i am just asking because if i find one on sale for cheaper than the 7-7-7 but with different timings should the timing numbers be higher or lower? or ist it a little more complicated than that?thanks!regards
1. Memory will work fine with 9652. Always lowest timing, highest speed. In this case 1600 will be fine for clocking either 920 or 9653. If you are going to go with a 965 next year you could also go for a memory upgrade as well to get the most out of that purchase.. to DDR3 2000 7-8-7 by Corsair which should also come down in price by next year

Denis, What Nick has told you is 100% true about the mem speed you need to get if you intend to OC. This is what I have and is working perfect for me. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820227365 When I bought mine only 3 months back I didnt have many options to pick from as there are now and decided to go with the OCZ ram. This ram actually worked out perfectly as I ended up running it at 1542 with a OC on the CPU @ 4.05 ghz. If I had the 1333 ram it would have been a no go on the OC. As far as OCing the CPU it is really easy and enough people have done it now that you should have no problems. Makae sure you get a good cooler for the CPU as well or that will hold you back on the OC as well.

Jim Wenham