Sign in to follow this  
macroth

Still have some strange graphic issues with FSX MD-11

Hello,I have some strange issues when I run FSX (+acceleration) with my MD-11. I use Vista 64 with a Q6600 @ 3 Ghz, a 512MB Nvidia 8800GT card an 4GB RAM. When I fly about 20-30 min or longer and change to any FSX internal menu (map, button assignment and so on) and try to return to the sim, the screen turns black (sometimes some graphical fragments stay), but the sim is still running and I can normal callouts from the plane. Even when I try to change the sight it doesn't come back. When I save this flight (without any sight it's a bit tricky :-)) , end FSX and load it again it continoues without any errors.I made a clean install of FSX + Acceleration under a clean Windows 7, but the problem remains the same. I become desperate on this and I have no more ideas. I didn't have this problem with any other plane. Does someone have similar problems? I really LOVE the MD-11, but it's not very funny under this constellation. Maybe my graphic card is the problem, but I think it is a very spread model, or not?I'm thankfull for every hint... :( Many thanksKai Steffan

Kai, I have a similar system except for the video card. I have not had an occurance of your problem in many hours of testing and flying, which does indeed point to something in the video such as drivers or settings. You are correct, the card is in widespread use. That might help you isolate the problem.Try this simple test: When screen goes black, select desktop view then select FSX from the task bar. That should refresh the screen.

Dan Downs KCRP

Kai,I've had the same issue since I bought my new PC that has Vista 64 and an Nvidia GeForce GTX 285. I've installed different drivers to no avail. Has to be a driver or a Vista 64 & driver combo issue.Bob L

Kai,I've had the same issue since I bought my new PC that has Vista 64 and an Nvidia GeForce GTX 285. I've installed different drivers to no avail. Has to be a driver or a Vista 64 & driver combo issue.Bob L
You are not alone ..I have same issue with vista 64/PMDG11MDX/747X. Dell tecnical support spent many hours to solve these problems. They replaced Nvidia graphic card with GTX280, heat-sink, fans, many different drivers No improvment . DEll exchanged PC two times. There is no way I can fly PMDG-Md11X and 747X in DX:9 mode , unless I select FSF DX:10 Review mode. Then Md-11x and 747X flys without problems. But, DX:10 review mode is not a complete program. What can I do better then nothing.Sanal

Ahmet Sanal

"Time you enjoyed wasting, was not wasted"

Thank's together! My drivers are all up to date, so I don't think it is driver related, because I have the same problems in Windows 7. I will try different memory timings in BIOS or maybe Sanals tip with DX10 preview mode. I will report later...cheers Kai

You are not alone ..I have same issue with vista 64/PMDG11MDX/747X. Dell tecnical support spent many hours to solve these problems. They replaced Nvidia graphic card with GTX280, heat-sink, fans, many different drivers No improvment . DEll exchanged PC two times. There is no way I can fly PMDG-Md11X and 747X in DX:9 mode , unless I select FSF DX:10 Review mode. Then Md-11x and 747X flys without problems. But, DX:10 review mode is not a complete program. What can I do better then nothing.Sanal
Nothing to do with your hardware at least I think ;-)Just turn down the level of detail radius form high to medium in your FSX settings and try again ;-) Plus make sure your memory timings are set a bit loose not to aggressive...

André

Nothing to do with your hardware at least I think ;-)Just turn down the level of detail radius form high to medium in your FSX settings and try again ;-) Plus make sure your memory timings are set a bit loose not to aggressive...
Try running with DX10 preview on. I had the same problem as OP until I turned it on. You have to live with flashing taxiway lines etc. but for me it's worth it.M. Ninov

Andre,I lowered level of detail to medium . I flew KCLE-KSAN 4Hr28min with out any problem.My PC configuration: DELL XPS-6301, Vista 64, Q9550 , 4 Gb RAM memory , Nvdia GTX 280. It suppose to be a high end PC. 1-Do you think I dont have enough RAM to complete a long flight with "Level of Detail Radius" High setting? 2-Do I need to purchase 2X4 GB Memory stick? I don't know if it is possible for my PC.3- "Plus make sure your memory timings are set a bit loose not to aggressive" How can I do this adjustment?ThanksSanal :(

Ahmet Sanal

"Time you enjoyed wasting, was not wasted"

Try running with DX10 preview on. I had the same problem as OP until I turned it on. You have to live with flashing taxiway lines etc. but for me it's worth it.M. Ninov
Hi,I used DX10 now for a flight from Paris CDG to Geneva without any problems. This was impossible in DX9. Thank's for the hint. I will investigate further...ByeKai

Hi,I used DX10 now for a flight from Paris CDG to Geneva without any problems. This was impossible in DX9. Thank's for the hint. I will investigate further...ByeKai
Try just DX9 but with medium settings of level of detail...

André

Andre,I lowered level of detail to medium . I flew KCLE-KSAN 4Hr28min with out any problem.My PC configuration: DELL XPS-6301, Vista 64, Q9550 , 4 Gb RAM memory , Nvdia GTX 280. It suppose to be a high end PC. 1-Do you think I dont have enough RAM to complete a long flight with "Level of Detail Radius" High setting? 2-Do I need to purchase 2X4 GB Memory stick? I don't know if it is possible for my PC.3- "Plus make sure your memory timings are set a bit loose not to aggressive" How can I do this adjustment?ThanksSanal :(
No need for new hardware maybe tuning a bit the problem is with FSX and the detailed addon as follows...- That setting will load huge bunch more textures into memory and stress the graphics bus. - With default aircraft or memory less intensive aircraft the problem doesn't occureBut what if we have an addon aircraft that needs a lot of memory space in combination of hardware thathas fast memory timings the resistance on the graphics bus from you hardware will change and can be the problem.What we see here is an timeout of you busy graphics bus that's why on some systems this doesn't occurand on others the problem is within 10 - 30 minutes.It's just a combination of hardware and software to whom the memory addressing of the addon is the problem.Reprogramming of the detailed addon isn't going to happen so the solution is to give more headroom on your system.This can be done via the most important ones that will make a difference.:- level of detail radius- Autogen- AI- Water- Hardware tuning in case of over clocking turn down your clock rate and the extra stress on your system- As for memory look into your bios :-)That's why every texture size larger then 1024 * 1024 makes no sense at all besides it looksgreat but at that size it will throw every system over the edge even faster with FSX.Lol try with high settings and night textures it will happen fast real fast now turn back the level of detail radius and you will be surprised..Have fun guys,

André

Hello,I have some strange issues when I run FSX (+acceleration) with my MD-11. I use Vista 64 with a Q6600 @ 3 Ghz, a 512MB Nvidia 8800GT card an 4GB RAM. When I fly about 20-30 min or longer and change to any FSX internal menu (map, button assignment and so on) and try to return to the sim, the screen turns black (sometimes some graphical fragments stay), but the sim is still running and I can normal callouts from the plane. Even when I try to change the sight it doesn't come back. When I save this flight (without any sight it's a bit tricky :-)) , end FSX and load it again it continoues without any errors.I made a clean install of FSX + Acceleration under a clean Windows 7, but the problem remains the same. I become desperate on this and I have no more ideas. I didn't have this problem with any other plane. Does someone have similar problems? I really LOVE the MD-11, but it's not very funny under this constellation. Maybe my graphic card is the problem, but I think it is a very spread model, or not?I'm thankfull for every hint... :( Many thanksKai Steffan
I had exactly these symptoms until I did this:http://forums1.avsim.net/index.php?showtopic=247174Tim

Try just DX9 but with medium settings of level of detail...
That doesn't worked for me. My textures disappeared right after takeoff as I changed the view. Only in DX10 Mode it is rock stable for me. I tried several things to stress the sim like heavy cloudas, big airports like Heathrow and CDG and Zurich without ANY problems, so I think I will have to live with this solution. When I do some VFR flying some sceneries will have problems with DX10, but it is only one click which is acceptable for me. I would like to test Tim's solution with SP2 and no Acceleration, but I really don't like to install my huge amount of addons again. Also I really like my acceleration Heli :( . (or is there any way to instal the acceleration planes without acceleration???)So I will have an eye on a possible solution from other people..Thank'sKai