Sign in to follow this  
Guest rdg

DX10 Users

Guest rdg

Hi,I am new to Vista 64 and am in process of OC, so I have not had alot of time to do any testing with the DX10 Preview as of yet.I was curious as to how many of us here are using DX10 and what are your experiences and thoughts. Had you used it and went back to dx9, or did you decide not to use it and for what reasons?RegardsBob G

I tried it once and chose to stick with DX9, hence my best system is running XP x64.Many addon aircraft are not able to work with it properly (particularly those that were originally designed for FS2004), and many textures, most noticeably the runways and some buildings, flicker very much.

Guest rdg
I tried it once and chose to stick with DX9, hence my best system is running XP x64.Many addon aircraft are not able to work with it properly (particularly those that were originally designed for FS2004), and many textures, most noticeably the runways and some buildings, flicker very much.
Yes, the flickering seems to be the most prominent complaint. To bad. On the positive side, some had mentioned improvement in smoothness and FPS increase but not much detail. Thanks for your inputBob G

I switch back and forth between DX10 & 9. I use DX10 more, but as the previous posters said, there is some flicking on the default scenery runways. I do not get this with addon airports, only default airport runways. Also runway lights do not work with DX10, most night lighting does, but not the runway and taxi way lights at most airports. I alway use DX9 for night flying. However, DX10 is noticably smoother for the most part, but not so much so that its worth using. I think most poeple use DX9 more. Its a shame they were never able to get these issues resolved with DX10, because I do like it better, but the issues mentioned, Kill it.

Guest jaskanFactor

i7920@ 3.6G - VistaFor me the smoothness of dx10 is not worth the downsides. So i use Dx9.AS for smoothness, i now use the fps limiter tool, which you can find links to if you search fsx forum on this site. The tool only helps high end systems.

Guest rdg
i7920@ 3.6G - VistaFor me the smoothness of dx10 is not worth the downsides. So i use Dx9.AS for smoothness, i now use the fps limiter tool, which you can find links to if you search fsx forum on this site. The tool only helps high end systems.
It seems DX10 is not used by most. Yes, I had been following most of the limiter threads here and there. I did download it and sun java, but will wait until I get my box leveled out.Bob

I also switch between DX9 and DX10. Since a week or two I am using DX10 when I fly VFR, mainly with the RealAir Scout. When I fly VFR I like reflections in the water, lots of autogen, etc. DX10 runs a lot better on my system than DX9 with all these settings enabled! It does have some problems (mentioned by others) but to me the gain in fps is worth it. I used to have problems with microstutters when using DX10, but these are (almost) gone with my new system.When I fly the MD-11 (high and dry) I use DX9, mainly because FSAA is better with DX9 because then I can use nHancer, which won't work with DX10. And the MD-11 VC really needs good FSAA, so that's why... For VFR DX10 FSAA is good enough but not for the MD-11. This means I have to turn down autogen a lot, traffic too, no water reflections, etc. but since I fly high and dry this is no problem for me. I do have to add though that also with DX10 fps is a lot less with the MD-11. It USED to be okay, but now I've gotten used to great fps with DX10 using the Scout, the fps with the MD-11 sometimes sinks too low for my taste. It's still workable though, somwhere between 15 to 20 during landing.BTW I switch by using two fsx.cfg's named FSX.cfgdx9 and FSX.cfgdx10. Whenever I want to use one, I simply rename it to FSX.cfg. This way I do not have to startup FSX, switch to a different mode and restart FSX again (which is mandatory when switching between DX9 and DX10). I also don't have to load the different settings I use for the two modes because they are all saved in the fsx.cfg.

Guest rdg
I also switch between DX9 and DX10. Since a week or two I am using DX10 when I fly VFR, mainly with the RealAir Scout. When I fly VFR I like reflections in the water, lots of autogen, etc. DX10 runs a lot better on my system than DX9 with all these settings enabled! It does have some problems (mentioned by others) but to me the gain in fps is worth it. I used to have problems with microstutters when using DX10, but these are (almost) gone with my new system.When I fly the MD-11 (high and dry) I use DX9, mainly because FSAA is better with DX9 because then I can use nHancer, which won't work with DX10. And the MD-11 VC really needs good FSAA, so that's why... For VFR DX10 FSAA is good enough but not for the MD-11. This means I have to turn down autogen a lot, traffic too, no water reflections, etc. but since I fly high and dry this is no problem for me. I do have to add though that also with DX10 fps is a lot less with the MD-11. It USED to be okay, but now I've gotten used to great fps with DX10 using the Scout, the fps with the MD-11 sometimes sinks too low for my taste. It's still workable though, somwhere between 15 to 20 during landing.BTW I switch by using two fsx.cfg's named FSX.cfgdx9 and FSX.cfgdx10. Whenever I want to use one, I simply rename it to FSX.cfg. This way I do not have to startup FSX, switch to a different mode and restart FSX again (which is mandatory when switching between DX9 and DX10). I also don't have to load the different settings I use for the two modes because they are all saved in the fsx.cfg.
Well thank you for you time. I just moved from xp 32 to Vista 64 and just getting used to Vista. I have done no optimizing yet, as I am going through a very careful OC project for my computer. After I get it stable, I will first try to optimize the OS, then experiment with other FSX options, including the new optimizer which seems to be sweeping the flight sim community. I will as part of this certainly try the DX10 stuff. We will see. I thank you again for your detailed reply. Take CareBob G

Guest RudeAwakening

Using DX9 and DX10 aswell. DX10 runs faster but IMO because it overrules all driver AA settings and uses the standard FSX AA which isn't very nice, but nice to the Graphics Card.Setting DX9 to the same setting (I think its 2X2 or 4xS, not sure) gave me comparable framerates to DX10.

I think it is to each person's taste.Also if your running XP, one cannot run DX10 preview.I use DX10 all the time, but I have the system to take advanatge of it.Dell XPS 730 Extreme Quad core 9650 3.00 , O/C to 3.94gb ramNvidia GTX 285Vista 32bitI've noticed in Windows 7 Beta ( I have a duel boot on my system) that the DX version is DX 11, what that means for Flight sim, who knows, as with what hapepned with Aces earlier in the year, I've not heard of any certain plans to make the next version. I guess time will tell, Yes I agree there is a lot of add ons one cannot use with DX10, but there is more and more every month being released.Phil

Guest jaskanFactor

The only reason why i bother to taxi and not just spawn on runway is cause fsx progressive taxi makes it easy enough to be worth my while.Since progressive taxi does not work in DX10, it was a no brainer for me to drop back to Dx9. Plus some runway lights dont work in dx10, but that is no big deal, like struglling to find your runway in big airport.Dx10 = no progrssive taxi = dx9

The only reason why i bother to taxi and not just spawn on runway is cause fsx progressive taxi makes it easy enough to be worth my while.Since progressive taxi does not work in DX10, it was a no brainer for me to drop back to Dx9. Plus some runway lights dont work in dx10, but that is no big deal, like struglling to find your runway in big airport.Dx10 = no progrssive taxi = dx9
Yes no progessive taxi is a issue with DX10, although it does show from top down view. I still kind of think it is a driver issue why it won't show from other views.Not that I use it much, as I can folow ATC most times, as I do have real life flying training. VFR day and night PPL licence in real life.Note sure what you mean by runway lites, they come up okay on my system under DX10Phil

I just switched to DX10 recently and I am loving it. Everything has a good contrast now, light bloom does not hurt your FPS as much, and there are nice cockpit shadows! The AA also seems a lot better in DX10 than DX9. The only problem I am having with DX10 is the flickering taxiways, but i haven't tried progressive taxi yet...

I use DX9, since I use nHancer.Plus, the water in DX10 looks completely fake, you get near tropical seas in non-tropical areas.And the bleedthrough taxiways always annoyed me.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

My performance utilizing DX10 is a little better, but the lower level of FSAA somewhat ruins the experience for me. The better performance comes at the price of jaggies. DX9 + 8xFSAA looks a heck of a lot better, IMO, and the performance difference is not that noticable. If you want bloom, you could always download the END Series plug-in and use that with DX9.

Ark

--------------------------

I9 9900K @ 5ghz / 32GB G.Skill (Samsung B) / Aorus Master Mobo / EVGA GTX 2080Ti FTW 3