Sign in to follow this  
Guest Id Rather Be Flying

Fast Systems,

Guest sb55mv

Hi All.I was wondering if anyone here is running a very fast sys, such as XP3000+ and a lot of ram and a good graphics card,I was just interested to see how FS2002 performed with a big rig thrown at it.and all sliders set high.

Guest ba747heavy

Nope, nobody does run a system that good. Only millionaires and such have nice systems like that.:-lol

It does very well. Nice, smooth, no stutters. Turn the Frame limiter off and you can see FPS in the 120-150+ range. FSMeteo and RCv3.1System:PIV@ 3.06gigaByte 8INXP in parallel mode.1024RAM @266Radeon 9700ProFS on its own 80G 7200RPM DriveTurtle Bay Santa Cruz soundSaitek x-45Win XP ProEd Green

Guest sb55mv

thanks for the reply

Guest cw1011

What happens when you drive your 747-200 through partially cloudy skies, with a good helping of AI aircraft. I'm in single digits with my p4 1.9 with 750+ mgs of Ram and TI 4200 - I'm guessing with an upgrade to your specs I'll go from 8 frames to 13. Also, I'm somewhat taken aback at your 120+ frames. Reading the hardware reviews that use FS2002 as a benchmark, the highest I've seen is 37 fps for the very newest P4 3 rig for a fresh install, default planes. Again, leading me to believe that even the fastest rigs out there can't handle MSFS2002 with all the bells and whistles. Colin

Hi Colin. It's not as easy to answer as you might think as I'm one of those people who are much more concerned with the smoothness of the sim than the actual FPS. Having said that, I built this system about a month ago, and out of curiosity I did run some Tests with the counter on and those were the numbers that I got. They actually were with the RFP 747-200 at altitude and with FS Meteo, Zone Alarm and McAffee running. The biggest difference that I noticed initially was at the Gary Simmond's London Airports: my prior system (dual PIII@1G, 1024KRam with a geforce 3 500TI) would go to 3-5FPS with more than 10% AI; this one will show 22-25 with 50% AI and all the other stuff running. Weather seems to have no noticable effect at all as far a smoothness is concerned. This upgrade was a big birthday present and I do like it. My bottom line is that the new system does allow FS2002 to perform very, very well. Your guess is as good as mine for the future. I know one thing: I will be living with this one for a while.Best regards,

Guest cw1011

Thanks for the update. I may sit on my hands for a few months and see how demanding COF really is. Thanks! I'm glad you like your system. Colin

120??? :-lol :-lol :-lol :-lol :-lol While you may be really blessed and lucky with some fluke of a system, there have been a million posts on this forum and many other sites about FPS and FS2002, and plenty of people with high end systems are still searching for those elusive FPS.To the original poster, there is no given that just because you get a high end PC, that with all sliders maxed, real weather, 3rd party scenery and aircraft, that you will have fantastic performance and FPS to spare, just wanted you to be aware and not disillusioned.I think I saw a CRAY on Ebay really cheap! LOL Regards, Michaelhttp://mysite.verizon.net/res052cd/mybannercva1.jpg

Best, Michael

KDFW

I have the following system I just put together this past weekend:P4 3.06HTGainward 8INXP motherboard w/Intel 7205 Granite Bay chipset512Megs Geil Dual Channel DDR PC3500Radeon 9800 Pro @ 8XBare Windows XP Pro SP1Audigy 2 Platinum2 120Gig WD 7200RPM 8Meg Cache JB1 180Gig WD 7200RPM 8Meg Cache JBSony DRU500A DVD BurnerSamsung DVD/CD-R Combo450Watt Kingwin PSAverDVD MPEG2 Video CaptureWell, I just wanted to see what sort of frame rates by just sitting at Meigs and looking at 2D/Virtual/Outside views.At the following resolutions with ALL details maxed (including 100% AI) with the Cessna 172 and current overcast weather:800 X 600 X 32 No Antialiasing1024 X 768 X 32 No Antialiasing1152 X 864 X 32 No Antialiasing1280 X 1024 X 32 No Antialiasing1600 X 1200 X 32 No AntialiasingThere are a bunch of resolutions over 1600 as well but I didn't bother cause it is getting overkill on my 21" monitor.All rates were around 35 - 50 consistently mostly upper to 50800 X 600 X 32 With Antialiasing1024 X 768 X 32 With Antialiasing1152 X 864 X 32 With Antialiasing1280 X 1024 X 32 With Antialiasing1600 X 1200 X 32 With AntialiasingSame situation but hovering around 40 - 45 fps.Pretty good if you ask me.I will have to try a busy afternoon at KJFK & KLAX but I am happy for now until I get LoMac and FS2004 on the box!Not to mention that Unreal Tournament at 1600 X 1200 with all the bells and whistles is great to play while recording a DVD on RoadRunner Broadband!

Update:Settings of 1280 X 1024 & Anti Aliasing Enable with ALL MAX settings Daytime: Aircraft: PSS Dash 8 300 Tyrolean Special paint scheme at Gate 3 at KLAX (WHOOPS forgot the airport I was at! :) )Sitting on the tarmac: 15 - 30 but hover around 23 fps.Taking off in 2D Panel or Virtual same result. Outside the aircraft 20 - 30fps.Of course it will be lower fps when you are showing gates and concourse and multiple AI but it is around 20 - 23 fps.I will be happy to test a FEW configurations/situations if anyone wants when I can.

Guest cw1011

Many thanks - that is the info I was looking for. Colin

I would only be impressed with FPS if someone did the following test: flying Flight1's Pieper Meridian in cocpkit view on final approach to Thomas Kwong's Hongkong airport (freeware). The airport should be enabled in max detail.Michael J.

Well, I am now $29.95 dollars poorer and REALLY feel it since the Meridian is a frame rate killer NO MATTER WHAT!I installed Kwongs Hong Kong Scenery (INTERESTING when selecting it that the Country/Region has Hong Kong SAR like in SARS :-eek ) and had everything maxed at 1280 X 1024 X 32.The slide show began and I saw frame rates from 3 to 15 hovering mostly from 9 - 11.That is a SHAME. Even after taking off anti aliasing I still didn't gain many fps since the Radeon's are crowned for that ability without killing the frames.Even at Meigs and flying around I only got up to about 25fps. Does NOT make me happy for sure to know what I have and what I saw. Hopefully FS2004 as they said was optimized and utilizing HT may help but truthfully even though the Meridian is beautiful I wish I didn't buy it now.In conclusion, who knows what FS2004 is going to do with add ons and only time will tell.I will ONLY test scenarios in which I already OWN the products.I have MOST of the PSS and Flight 1 aircraft now though as well as most of the GOOD commercial add ons such as Radar Contact, ActiveSky (both running with WideFS on my email server along with AirPlan), Reality XP, etc...

Well, I think I have tasted what FS2004 will offer with a good fast PC. Reinstalling Combat Flight Sim since I tried it when it first came out with Patch to 3.01, I FELT THAT GOOD FEELING AGAIN! Smooth flights throughout but slowed down to acceptable non slide show rates when complete cloud cover or thunderstorms. BUT, taking off and climbing through the clouds breaking out on top with a scattered 3/8 sky and seeing things brighten up when I was on top was GREAT!! :-jumpy Even though CFS 3 clouds are still not right they are better than FS2002 and boy coming back down to the deck along the coast through the clouds was just as breath taking.All sliders maxed at 1280 X 1024 X 32 resolution.Just looking forward to an IFR hop and coming down through the soup to hit the numbers and pull into the gate with FS2004!! Should be a good show with COF since the difference from FS2002 to CFS3 is just a sample even though different groups develop both they still feed off of one another.Hopefully you won't be able to select a snowstorm though in the middle of summer. :)