Sign in to follow this  
nudata

Accessing Documents & Settings-Vista 64?

New laptop - 2.4 ghz, 4gb memory, built-in ATI video, 17" screenVista 64 Home PremiumAdministrator privilegesI want to load FSX on the laptop but I cannot open the Documents & Settings folder where some critical FSX "stuff" is stored. Thus I do not want to go further until I can access that folder.Clicking on it I am Denied AccessThere are several folders with what looks like "shortcut" curved arrows" as icons. Each of these give me an access denied.I went through the various properties and forced the owner to the administrator with Special Privileges. This should allow the administrator to do anything they please to the folder and its sub-folders/files. But the Doc&Settings folder remains locked????This is my first attempt at Vista so the obvious may be alluding me.

regards,

Dick near Pittsburgh, USA

Click the windows logo circle... type %appdata% where it says "Start Search"... it will open a window that allows you to get to the FSX.cfg file.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

Click the windows logo circle... type %appdata% where it says "Start Search"... it will open a window that allows you to get to the FSX.cfg file.
I looked but do not know where the "logo circle" is. If this a new one in Vista I am a rank beginner. Otherwise I go back to Windows95. ===================== EDITI guessed that you meant the Start logo in the lower left and then the Search function. I searched for %appdata% but did not see Documents & settings folder. Need to do more with that but wanted to get this msg out...

regards,

I looked but do not know where the "logo circle" is. If this a new one in Vista I am a rank beginner. Otherwise I go back to Windows95. ===================== EDITI guessed that you meant the Start logo in the lower left and then the Search function. I searched for %appdata% but did not see Documents & settings folder. Need to do more with that but wanted to get this msg out...
If you type %appdata% in that box and press enter... it will OPEN the folders you seek.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

If %appdata% is too confusing then try navigating to this folder in Vista:C:\Users\yourname\Roaming\Appdata\Microsoft\FSXYou have to turn off User Account Control before you can directly access the Documents and Settings folder as you are trying to do. The above folder is the same as if you went through Docs and Settings.Todd

New laptop - 2.4 ghz, 4gb memory, built-in ATI video, 17" screenVista 64 Home PremiumAdministrator privilegesI want to load FSX on the laptop but I cannot open the Documents & Settings folder where some critical FSX "stuff" is stored. Thus I do not want to go further until I can access that folder.Clicking on it I am Denied AccessThere are several folders with what looks like "shortcut" curved arrows" as icons. Each of these give me an access denied.I went through the various properties and forced the owner to the administrator with Special Privileges. This should allow the administrator to do anything they please to the folder and its sub-folders/files. But the Doc&Settings folder remains locked????This is my first attempt at Vista so the obvious may be alluding me.
I had the same problem. What I discovered is that the items you are seeking in the documents & settings is a XP location. Those items in Vista are located in the Users\user_name\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX\. Such as FSX.cfg.Good luck

Happy landings,

Mike Eppright (KAAO)

I had the same problem. What I discovered is that the items you are seeking in the documents & settings is a XP location. Those items in Vista are located in the Users\user_name\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX\. Such as FSX.cfg.Good luck
Didn't I just say that? :(Oops I guess I didn't! I meant \Appdata\ and then \Roaming... :(Todd

Thanks - guess I have to look into the new secrets of roaming. A note on prices - this laptop lists for $650 at Newegg and Best Buy. Best Buy sold it for $500.The recession carries some advantages especially when I turnmy wife loose on a store.

regards,