Sign in to follow this  
Guest abent

Something New...Helicopter Flying...

Guest abent

Right next door to my house is a Department of Natural Resources depot and the forest fire season is starting here. There are helicopters landing fairly regularly now in preparation for the season.So, just for the H**l of it I decided to use Lago's FSSE and build the DNR depot. I've been practicing landing the Bell now for a few hours. Man...now there's a challenge. I can get close to the ground but cannot seem to hover before touchdown. I'm always drifting slowly back/forward or left or right just a bit which makes for a sloppy landing. I'm using my yoke and pedals now. Maybe a joystick would help.So, who's managed to master the Bell? I'm getting steadily better but it's very challenging.This is nothing like flying a fixed wing aircraft!Any advice other than just practice. :-rotor Thanks, Adam

Guest Lindy

I know EXACTLY how you feel and yes, flying the helos is a challenge. I've been flying several of the choppers now for quite a few months. I'm just now starting to be able to hover for a second before touching down (sometimes). :-rollA stick is better than the yoke for controlling the helicopters; rudder pedals are almost a must, although several users have a twist grip stick that they have success with.Go visit the Hover Control and HoverSafe websites for their tips, suggestions and lessons and practice, practice, practice.Happy hovering.-Lindy :-rotor:-wave

Guest abent

Thanks Lindy. I kinda expected that the words practice might be reiterated!I've got an old joystick somewhere buried under all my old computer junk in the closet. I'll dig it out and give it a go.Also, I'll check out the sites you suggest.Thanks again and take care, Adam

WELCOME TO THE WORLD OF ROTORY WING ADAM! lolyeah, practice is a must! (and a joystick) Funny, I am working on a scenery for a VA I fly for and we are mostly helicopter oriented. The base I am building is in Idaho and we are getting ready for 'fire season". been buzzing around in the default bell and the MD500, and I was hovering around, kicking up dirt and doing touch and gos, admiring the way they fly, simply awesome! I bet the scene next door to you is pretty cool to watch.Best of luck on your heliflight, stick with it, very rewarding when you get it down. I know guys that don't even fly fixed wing anymore! Regards, Michaelhttp://mysite.verizon.net/res052cd/mybannercva1.jpgCalVirAir Internationalwww.calvirair.comCougar Mountain Helicopters & Aviationwww.cgrmtnhelos.com

Best, Michael

KDFW

Guest Kurt

Along with the other suggestions, you might find the helihud useful.helohud.zip (with instructions} 30th March 2002http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?DLID=...hor=&CatID=Roothelihudnew1.zip (update} 25th January 2003http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?DLID=...hor=&CatID=Rootor you might like this package, it includes the helihud, new sounds, etc.-----------------"This is an extensively updated version of the stock MSFS aircraft pulled together by Steve Hanley. Includes flight model enhancements by Steve Baughs, HeliHUD, custom mini-panel by Don Giacomo, sounds and effects. This is the perfect beginner's package for anyone wanting to make a start with choppers in MSFS2002." ----------------bell206bDF.zip fromhttp://www.digital-flight.com/look under aircraft/MSFS2002Kurt M

Guest abent

Thanks guys for the replies. Well I managed to paste one on nicely last night. I guess I was "greasing" them on before :-lol . I'm sure it was a fluke 'cause after that I couldn't repeat it after many tries. Just for the fun of it, I set up a ski patrol base (again using Lago's FSSE) on top of a mountain near Pemberton, BC which is in the famous Whistler area. It is so cool flying around the mountains, hovering and turning 360 checking out the scenery.I don't know what took me so long to try the helos. Yeah, a couple buds and I tried the helicopters a few times, more just to laugh at eachother as we flipped and flopped around trying to hover or land. But this is great fun.Now, I've gotta learn all the startup procedures, because I always like to go through all that stuff. I do it with all the planes to add realism. Usually the more complex the better - like DF734.On another note, last year 6 Dromader 18 pilots were stationed here for 3 weeks on standby. I got to talk to them regularly. I had a few of them over and they got a great kick out of flying the sim. They're due back any day now I hear. Maybe I can get one of those helo pilots over to teach me how to fly the Bell. Occasionally we get a Dept of Fisheries and Oceans Hughes helo here. That's quite something! I need to get a digital camera so I can post some of this stuff.Again, thanks for the replies AND the links. :-beerchug Adam

Guest Lindy

Well if you like start up procedures, you're gonna LOVE Antti's Dauphin that you can find here at Avsim. A terrific helo with very realistically protrayed start up and shutdown procedures. It has a working autopilot too!It's a little tricky for some to get set up properly, but well worth it when you do. It has wheels instead of skids and Antti has found a cool work around for the FS anomoly of pausing the sim, retracting the gear, then unpausing the sim. You need your own sounds though and you need to read the manual.Have fun. :-hah-Lindy :-rotor:-wave

Guest abent

Thanks Lindy. I'll look into the Dauphin.Adam