Sign in to follow this  
ClaudeF

APChart

Hello,As anyone figured out how to get Holger Maass' APChart.Gau database to recognize/include add-on airports? For example it does not seem to recognize the KIAD add-on which includes the new runway. (In this case, FS2004.)Claude

Regards,

Claude Franklin

Hello,As anyone figured out how to get Holger Maass' APChart.Gau database to recognize/include add-on airports? For example it does not seem to recognize the KIAD add-on which includes the new runway. (In this case, FS2004.)Claude
Which KIAD enhancement are you using?I just installed the only one I could find in the library here - dulles.zip by Jim Campisi - and the Airport Chart Viewer had no problem displaying the chart. It saw it right away and I did not have to rebuild the database. I rebuilt the database anyway as a test and it still displayed properly.I placed the afcad which came in the Dulles package in the scenery subfolder of KIAD.If you are using some other enhancement, possibly there is a problem with it's afcad, but that is only a guess. :( I have had not had any problems (so far) with the Chart Viewer "seeing" any other add-ons which I have.

Try this:Open your main flight simulator 9 folderMake a backup / copy of the file "scenery.cfg"Open your original scenery.cfg in a text editorSelect all lines, beginning with

[Area.001]

and ending just before

[Area.037]

which should be Addon scenery, unless you re-ordered your default scenery areas.Cut those lines and paste them at the end of the file.Save.The top of your file should look like this:

[General]Title=FS9 World SceneryDescription=FS9 Scenery DataClean_on_Exit=FALSE[Area.037]Title=Addon SceneryLocal=Addon SceneryLayer=37Active=TRUERequired=FALSERemote=

Start the Airport Chart DB builder toolSelect FS2K4 and then BuildShould see progress bar and then completeSelect OffDelete your edited scenery.cfg file and restore the original one.scott s..

I am curious what you are attempting to accomplish with the suggested edits to the scenery.cfg file Scott.Virtually all my afcads are in the scenery subfolders of the enhancements - not in my addon scenery/scenery subfolder - and AP finds them there with no trouble.

Which KIAD enhancement are you using?I just installed the only one I could find in the library here - dulles.zip by Jim Campisi - and the Airport Chart Viewer had no problem displaying the chart. It saw it right away and I did not have to rebuild the database. I rebuilt the database anyway as a test and it still displayed properly.I placed the afcad which came in the Dulles package in the scenery subfolder of KIAD.If you are using some other enhancement, possibly there is a problem with it's afcad, but that is only a guess. :( I have had not had any problems (so far) with the Chart Viewer "seeing" any other add-ons which I have.
Hello "Opa"The Add-on is Imaginesim's KIAD which includes the new north-south rwy 1L/19R (the old 1L/19R is now 1C/19C). Everything I've tried, so far, results in no-joy. That would include moving the AFCAD into the AddOn Scenery directory, temporarily installing an AFCAD I found in the AVSIM library that includes the new rwy (took out the other one to prevent too many AFCADS) aand several database rebuilds. If I slew the A/C to the new RWY 1L, it shows up where it should be in APChart's view, but nothing is there (i.e. taxiways or rwy). Same thing in FSX.BTW, the Library refers to the APchart gauge as Ver 2, but the gauges themselves report Ver 1.0.0.9 (for FS2004) and 1.0.0.10 (for FSX). The database reports it's Ver 1.1. The gauges and DBBuilder.exe were created 3/31/2008. Do I have the correct version? My OS is WinXP, SP2.Doubt there's any need to fiddle with the scenery.cfg.Claude

Regards,

Claude Franklin

Hello "Opa"The Add-on is Imaginesim's KIAD which includes the new north-south rwy 1L/19R (the old 1L/19R is now 1C/19C). Everything I've tried, so far, results in no-joy. That would include moving the AFCAD into the AddOn Scenery directory, temporarily installing an AFCAD I found in the AVSIM library that includes the new rwy (took out the other one to prevent too many AFCADS) aand several database rebuilds. If I slew the A/C to the new RWY 1L, it shows up where it should be in APChart's view, but nothing is there (i.e. taxiways or rwy). Same thing in FSX.BTW, the Library refers to the APchart gauge as Ver 2, but the gauges themselves report Ver 1.0.0.9 (for FS2004) and 1.0.0.10 (for FSX). The database reports it's Ver 1.1. The gauges and DBBuilder.exe were created 3/31/2008. Do I have the correct version? My OS is WinXP, SP2.Doubt there's any need to fiddle with the scenery.cfg.Claude
If you don't mind, send me a regular e-mail and attach the afcad for KIAD which you have (the Imaginesim one).Then I can see if my install of Chart Viewer sees it properly or not.My address is opaflightsimaddict at verizon dot netI shall look forward to hearing from you.FYI - As far as I know the only version is the one which is located in the FSX section at Avsim.http://library.avsim.net/search.php?Search...x&Go=SearchIt it the one I have installed on my FS2004 setup and for which I created the panel icon and installation guide.

If you don't mind, send me a regular e-mail and attach the afcad for KIAD which you have (the Imaginesim one).
Done!

Regards,

Claude Franklin

I am curious what you are attempting to accomplish with the suggested edits to the scenery.cfg file Scott.Virtually all my afcads are in the scenery subfolders of the enhancements - not in my addon scenery/scenery subfolder - and AP finds them there with no trouble.
What I have observed is this:The AP chart database builder opens scenery.cfg, and then starts reading the file at the top, which normally is Area.001. It looks for the local= line and opens that folder and its scenery subfolder and then goes through all the bgl files looking for airports. It then goes to the next area in scenery.cfg and repeats.What I found (in my tests) is that if it finds an airport in a bgl file, it will add it to the database. As it continues down through scenery.cfg it will find all the default airports in asia, eure, eurw, etc. Now, once it gets past those it starts on addon scenery, and then every other scenery area. BUT (and this is key), when it finds an airport that is already in the database, it will skip it. Thus, any "AFCAD" or other remake of a default airport will be skipped.So what I did, was simply to reorder scenery.cfg. By starting with addon scenery, it now works it way through all the new/additional scenery areas, and only then will it get to the default ones. This time, it will ignore the default airports (if they are dupes) keeping my modded airports.Then restore the original order of scenery.cfg so fs9 doesn't get confused.Herr is an example of the FRF KATL which happens to be scenery area.134 on my system, using "normal" scenery.cfg and my "mod" scenery.cfg:apchartdif.jpgscott s..

Thanks for the explanation Scott - I will have a go at it later today.The only airports which CV seems to not see for me are any which have had a "new" runway added and the original runway numbering system has been changed - i.e. what might have been a "left" runway has become a "center" runway etc.I will post back my findings.

Thanks for the explanation Scott - I will have a go at it later today.The only airports which CV seems to not see for me are any which have had a "new" runway added and the original runway numbering system has been changed - i.e. what might have been a "left" runway has become a "center" runway etc.I will post back my findings.
Scott, you are a genius - it works like a charm!!If it is alright with you I am considering creating a small "illustrated guide" showing exactly the steps involved and uploading it to the library so anyone who uses the Chart Viewer program will see how the trick is accomplished. I would give you full credit of course.What say you? :(

Scott (and OPA),This morning, after spending more time then planned, I tried your method and can report some success.After trying several configurations, it did recognize Imaginesim's KIAD with the new runway and old renamed runway. But, although it recognized the new runway numbering and the airport layout including parking spaces correctly, it did not include taxiway deisgnators. It required temporarily moving the KIAD afcad into \Addon\scenery rather than the seperate Imaginesim KIAD directory. When left there the database builder refused to recognize the afcad (maybe due to where it appears in the scenery.cfg).I then tried it with a recent KSEA afcad that renumbered 16R/34L to 16C/34C. This afcad does not actually include the new KSEA runway 16R/34L. As with KIAD, it recognized the new runway numbering and the airport layout and parking spaces, but without the taxiway designators.It recognized the Imaginesim KATL afcad which includes the new KATL runway 18/28 with no problems whatsoever. However, KATL's original ("default") runway numbers did not change as they do at KIAD or KSEA.This leads me to suspect that new afcads that change FS default runway numbers still presents problems when AP chart's database builder does its thing. Haven't tried yet in FSX, but would anticipate similiar issues. Will report my findings in a few days (hopefully).Claude

Regards,

Claude Franklin

Scott, you are a genius - it works like a charm!!If it is alright with you I am considering creating a small "illustrated guide" showing exactly the steps involved and uploading it to the library so anyone who uses the Chart Viewer program will see how the trick is accomplished. I would give you full credit of course.What say you? :(
go for it. I think a better guide will help any possible confusion about what I did.scott s..

go for it. I think a better guide will help any possible confusion about what I did.scott s..
Further "tests" reveal a few flaws - so it is not "ready for prime time" yet.None of the taxiways on an afcad which has added a "new" runway seem to be indexed by Chart Viewer - and it seems such afcads need to be in the addon scenery / scenery subfolder rather than in the associated scenery subfolder.As I said, more tests are needed to be absolutely sure what will and won't work.Unfortunately I have had no luck contacting the author (Holger Maass) so I guess we are on our own to try to find workarounds. I will keep plugging away. :(

Opa,Have you had any success at fixing this problem of it not recognizing add-on airports, afcads, etc? It is a shame that it is so good and yet not quite there.Thank,Lynn

Opa,Have you had any success at fixing this problem of it not recognizing add-on airports, afcads, etc? It is a shame that it is so good and yet not quite there.Thank,Lynn
Sorry to report that I made no progress at all in trying resolve the few issues that keep this from being a "complete" utility.And no luck trying reach the author either. He seems to have dropped off the face of the earth. Tis a shame.