Sign in to follow this  
downscc

Weather Applications Recommendations

Guest Buzz313th
JB - Only that it doesn't provide oceanic coverage. The winds just drop to zero, quite disconcerning when you planed on an average tail wind.
Your refering to the vanilla FSX online weather right?Interesting, I didn't know that. I thought I was getting winds over the Nats, didn't check to see if they were correct or not.JB ------> Official name Jeff B

I only tried it once, and it could have been a fluke. I will give it another try based on your comment... I have also ordered the FSMeteo8.x through simmarket. I guess I have to wait for the developer to email the package to me. I would be glad to give up fancy graphics for relistic winds so between default wx through msfs and this new package I hope for that. I will advise.

Dan Downs KCRP

Well, if it works out Dan, they'll get another customer.... me lol. Don't mind the winds in asa, just wish they'd blow from the same sort of direction and strength for more than 30 seconds.... grrrI find it's pretty good in fs9, just absolute (expletive deleted) in FSX lolJohn E

Guest Alias

Yes Dan keep me updated on this issue, I'm fully on your side although I don't cross the pond very often. But wind is an issue for everyone here.

I installed FSMeteo and flew a short hop KIAH/KDFW. It started out perfectly but I need to learn a little more about it before I can decide if I like it or not. I thought it would update the wx as the flight progressed but maybe I need to feed a flight plan into it. When I refreshed near LFK it went crazy... I want to assume it is operator error. Give me a couple of days with it and then I'll pass on my recommendation.The one thing I really like is the simple interface. Very down to earth, displays metars, TAFs and the FA (wind aloft) raw data. Now if I just figure out the nuts and bolts of it.

Dan Downs KCRP

Yes how is this working out, more interested in the winds, do they bounce you around like ASA or are they more realistic?Ryan Gann

Ryan, I am just sitting down to the workstation to start more testing; however, I assure you wx smoothing in FSUIPC is still going to be required. Those shifts are due to faulty MSFS wx engine rather than any addon. I'm not sure ASA has found the solution that doesn't require FSUIPC.. at least as far as I have read in their forum next door.Speaking of winds, right now in Corpus Christi we have sustained winds of 37 gusts 46... and it's not the windiest day of this year yet, but the dewpoint is -6C. I have never seen a desert-like dewpoint on the Texas gulf coast. Holy moly.

Dan Downs KCRP

Bummer... FSMeteo doesn't look like the answer either. I tried my favorite short hop KIAH/KDFW and fed the rte flight plan file into FSMeteo.. it gives you a nifty screen full of wind, heading and track info. I watched it sequence local stations from HOU to CXO to LFK but then noticed the wind at FL240 was NNE instead of 260/80. So I refreshed FSMeteo but no joy, then I opened FSX weather menu and went to the advanced custom wx set up and OK'd out of that which sets FSX to whatever was on that screen (it was correct by the way.. the microslop wx engine is so screwed up) and that corrected the wx presentation. Okay, I thought. But on descent on the CQY arrival (we are landing N direction at KDFW today) I noticed winds at 12000 were about 20kts too high (they seemed to be frozen) so I did another refresh in FSMeteo and all locked up. End of story.FSMeteo worked for about 20 min of a 40 min flight. It's probably the user, but I don't know why FSX insists on decreasing winds aloft and turning them to the NNE.. it seems to do this pretty consistently. Interesting. I'm sure FSMeteo might work in FS9 but the simconnect in FSX is hosed.

Dan Downs KCRP

Dan,Sorry to hear that, i am wondering if changing the dynamic weather changes settings to zero in flight sim as well as in fsmeteo will make a difference. hmm, ill have to test that when i get home tonight. I had some wind differences last night when i flew from KORD to CYYZ. :( , so i have been playing around with refresh times and coverage densities to see if that will help. :( So far i have only used fsmeteo on flights in europe and it seemed to behave, lets see..... how it does for a long haul flight over the weekend :( Thanks,Sumit

Guest Alias
Bummer... FSMeteo doesn't look like the answer either.
:( :( Thanks anyway.