Sign in to follow this  
axelb9

Repainting without a paintkit (FSX R22)

Hi,As the title says - please help out this painitng noob :( I receintly got nterested in painting as I was not afraid of the learning curve, read the SDk, some tutorials, etc. The problem is that most all of these documents demonstrate how to do it on a layered paintkit. Yet the helo I wanted to repaint to reflect a real world livery has no paintkit at all - still I know it could be done somehow as there are a few repaints circulating on the web. When I open the texture dds I get one unlayered texture sheet that has everything on it from the engines to the doors of the helo all through to the pilots face and I have no idea what to do with it. In such a case do you actually work on this very texture sheet with no layers at all? How do you separate different parts of the helo as seemingly everything overlaps each other or at least the texture sheet is awfully crammed. Please, any help is greatly appreciated.Thanks,Alex

Download FSRepant ( Abacus) free demo.Use this program to explore the texturesheets.When there is no paintkit available for the helo , you will have to do it with what you have.In others words "change what you want to change" on the available DDS sheets.If you have FSRepaint full version , you can do as follows.Open the texture in FSRepaint and make the parts of the texturesheet you want to change pure white.It is possible now to make a new paintsceme with the build in editor of FSRepant ( realtime) and save this repaint.As the build in editor in FSRepaint ( wich is actually the only editor wich works real time with FSRepant) is of a very poor quality you will have to overhaul the paintwork in a more sophisticated editor. ( Paint.net,Gimp,Paintshop,Photoshop)I do not advise to make another editor than the build-in one the standard editor in FSRepaint. ( for reasons I stated above)To be more precise , painting with Paintshop and others IN FSRepaint IS POSSIBLE but NOT IN REAL TIME , in other words you do not see your paintwork "live" on the model, the build in editor does.Leen de Jager

forumlogopaintmod.png

"Non licet omnibus volare cum aquilis" (Azzurro)

Visit Flybike-Paints

Thank you very much Leen for the detailed advice. Basically this is what I thought just could not believe it as the texture sheet dds seemed to be so crammed.Woud you still do the paintjob in layers or would you work just in one layer in such a case? I am referring to using Photoshop with the original DDS afer identifying repaintable parts in FS Repaint? Maybe the stupidest questin eve but what are the real advantages - if any - for using layers in such a case without a layered paintkit?I also saw that there was a specular texture sheet for the default R22 and the repaints already available. I know that this is what defines dynamic shine and gloss and the like - although I cannot really distinguis its use from that of the alpha channel - would I have to modify this specular texture as well? From looking at it it looks the same as the diffuse texture however all colours seem a bit darker. Do repantes regularly paint the specular sheet also?Thanks as ever,Alex