Sign in to follow this  
C09G

How to capture a good glideslope decent in big jets?

I'm having trouble on decent approach to capture the "2 white and 2 red lights" or precisions approach path indicator.Every time I'm on approach I either have to keep pulling the yoke up or down to get it steady. I've seen flight simmers video that they didn't even have to move the yoke up or down, it like there flying straight down steady.Is there any instrument to capture a good glide slope path? I'm flying the PMDG 747 and default 737(Waiting for NGX 2.0) I want a steady decent aprroach without pitching up or down the plane to much.-Vincent

I'm having trouble on decent approach to capture the "2 white and 2 red lights" or precisions approach path indicator.Every time I'm on approach I either have to keep pulling the yoke up or down to get it steady. I've seen flight simmers video that they didn't even have to move the yoke up or down, it like there flying straight down steady.Is there any instrument to capture a good glide slope path? I'm flying the PMDG 747 and default 737(Waiting for NGX 2.0) I want a steady decent aprroach without pitching up or down the plane to much.-Vincent
The problem with FS (among others) is that you don't feel the plane in your bottom. A good approach configuration and a correct trimming is the secret.Flying "by the numbers" can help you in this question. You can perform an autoland and write on a paper what the autoflight system is doing when the acft is going down the glideslope, (so, just copy him !! ). The aspects you can act on are.N1 valueTrim valuePitch valueOf course, when hand flying you will have to make small corrections, but, with those knownvalues you will be in the best starting point for a good and stable landing.Regards.

Thanks, and yes I nearly for got trim!And you've seen flight simmers on you tube who decent pretty nice and steady without ILS.

Guest 413X3

the way i learned was to setup the 747 for an ils approach, even in clear weather. by the time it captured the glide slope and started to descend, i disconnected the auto pilot. so the airplane was in perfect trim and angle and you get a feel for how that "feels". then you learn to do it all yourself by trimming the nose up a little bit, and use the throttle for vertical increases or decreases