Sign in to follow this  
martinlest2

Strange AI traffic problem

I have a really weird problem. I wonder if anyone can help me solve it?The problem is at Southampton Airport, UK (EGHI) - not sure about elsewhere, this is where I have noticed it for now. I have UK2000's scenery for EGHI, but even if I remove not only this, but ALL my FS addons, including any AFCADs, and fly with FS9 default 'out-of-the-box' scenery files (copied over from another PC I use for testing), including the scenery.cfg file of course, I get exactly the same thing.The problem is that all AI traffic (I have Ultimate Traffic installed), when it lands at EGHI, touches down half-way along the runway and then carries on quite some way past the end of the runway, turns, comes back towards the runway threshold, then taxis to the gate along the correct taxiways. My initial thought of course is that there would be a duplicate AFCAD, but having removed ALL AFCADs from my setup, leaving just the default AP947130.bgl file (includes FS9's EGHI), this can't be the cause. My own ILS (with glidescope) landings are fine (with or without EGHI scenery installed) - the a/c touches down at the right place. And all the taxiing for my own a/c, including the Progressive Taxi lines, is fine - it doesn't go off the runways or off the marked taxiways.If I follow where tha a/c go in AFCAD2, that also shows them going way past the runway end before turning back - both with the AP947130.bgl file and with the UK2000 AFCAD for this airport (which are pretty much identical in layout anyway).It's not an easy thing to troubleshoot. I have saved a flight with Traffic View Board as my aircraft and am able to follow an AI flight into EGHI to test this. But if I start experimenting by removing traffic.bgl files, I no longer have an AI flight to run as a test. Anyone any ideas? AI aircraft follow the same fixed pattern off the end of the runway every time. But if it's not an AFCAD file that's cuasing this, and it's not the default AP947130.bgl file, what's left as the culprit? Could it be an Ultimate Traffic problem? I'm stumped!Martin

Works fine here. Which aircraft? All of them? Have you done any FDE changes lately?

Mike...

Works properly for me also - using a totally default setup.

That's very odd!! My default setup with no addons doesn't work right at all. It MAY be that I am only getting this with certain a/c as I have seen a BAE146-300 taxi correctly off the runway after landing. How might it be possible for this error to be AI a/c specific though? I can't see that there is anything in an of the a/c files that would make it taxi off the end of the runway like this (in exactly the same pattern every time)I'll have another look - it's not that easy to troubleshoot as the airport isn't especially busy, even with 100% traffic. Aircraft don't seem to arrive according to UT timetables, so I just have to sit by the runway (at 4x speed) and wait for traffic to arrive. I'll have another go as soon as I can. It's not a huge problem in itself of course, I don't often fly into EGHI, and it's only AI a/c that are affected when I do - but I'd like to get to the bottom of this for my own satisfaction!Martin

I've seen this happen, also. Right now I can't say which airport it affects on my system (mostly fly in USA or NZ) or which A/C, but I'll keep an eye out and report back..

Schnelle Autos, schöne Frauen und deutsches Bier !

"Artificial Intelligence is no match for natural stupidity."

I occasionally get the opposite in Ultimate Traffic, with one or two airports where aircraft undershoot the runway a little bit and come down on the grass fifty yards short of the threshhold (the ILS at these airports is fine for me). To be honest it doesn't happen at a lot of airports and is only really noticeable when you are holding short, so it never really bothered me than much, but I'll give it a shot at EGHI and see what happens.Seems odd you saying that it's very quiet there though, If I recall correctly, a few budget airlines fly from Southampton (FlyBe and BA use it don't they?), I know Helios Air used to fly to there occasionally before they had that bad crash a few years ago which ultimately put them out of business, but that might have been when they had to divert from Bournemouth. Anyway, I'll give it a look later on to see if I get the problem too and see if I can figure anything out.Al

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

OK, thanks. There is traffic at EGHI, but it's not like Heathrow - you have to wait a while for a/c to land.I'll keep an eye on this post of course,Martin

Hi,One reason for that behavior is high terrain on the approach path. Perhaps your installation has something bizarre like "invisible" high elevations near that airport?

Hmmm, maybe, though not sure how I'd find out. The odd thing is that when the a/c turn around past the end of the runway, they clearly manoeuvre around an exact duplicate of a concrete turn-round space that is part of the real runway. When they get back onto the real (visible, tarmc/concrete) runway, they follow exactly the same pattern of path. It's as if there were a duplicate AFCAD just slightly offset from the legit airport - but as I say, there definitely isn't. It is really weird to watch and though (as I also said) it's no big deal in practice, I am fairly used to getting to the bottom of the various glitches I come against. This is the first time in a long time that I am completed stumped by what is happening, and it's a bit frustrating!M.