Sign in to follow this  
Midnight Music

Does Nhancer help?

With a brand new i7 computer with a GeForce GTX 295 graphics card running the display at 1680 by 1050 at 32 bit does it pay to have Nhancer on with Nick's tweaks? I can't really see the difference and I wonder if there's any performance hit. I'm running Vista 64 bit with sp1 which I'm actually finding rather stable and smooth. I'm curious if anyone has some thoughts on this.Lee

Lee H

i9 13900KF 32GB Ram 24GB RTX 4090

I had the blurries on my system but once i followed nick's setup and installed enhancer they were a thing of the past.Just%20Kidding.gif

With a brand new i7 computer with a GeForce GTX 295 graphics card running the display at 1680 by 1050 at 32 bit does it pay to have Nhancer on with Nick's tweaks? I can't really see the difference and I wonder if there's any performance hit. I'm running Vista 64 bit with sp1 which I'm actually finding rather stable and smooth. I'm curious if anyone has some thoughts on this.Lee
Yes, it does pay to use nHancer if you are running FSX in DX9. nHancer will allow you to use 8xs AA mode which is not available under the Nvidia Control Panel. Utilization of the 8xs AA mode will greatly increase overall image quality within FSX. There is no performance hit using nHancer.If you are running in DX10 preview, nHancer will be of no use.

A little off topic but how is that GTX 295? I always hear FSX is more CPU dependent but after seeing the 295's specs....

Guest Nick_N
A little off topic but how is that GTX 295? I always hear FSX is more CPU dependent but after seeing the 295's specs....
295 is useless to FSX.. waste of the 2nd core and shared memory since FSX will not use it285 is not.. 285 is the card of choice for FSX and i7DX10 is its own animal.. all settings are made in the FSX interface .. both AA and AF must be set in the Graphics settings of FSX as Nhancer will have no influence in DX10 mode. The user must remember to set those back as my list shows when running DX9 (uncheck AA and set AF to Trilinear)

Guest rdg
295 is useless to FSX.. waste of the 2nd core and shared memory since FSX will not use it285 is not.. 285 is the card of choice for FSX and i7DX10 is its own animal.. all settings are made in the FSX interface .. both AA and AF must be set in the Graphics settings of FSX as Nhancer will have no influence in DX10 mode. The user must remember to set those back as my list shows when running DX9 (uncheck AA and set AF to Trilinear)
Nick, I was wondering about Trilinear. I have always used Aniso, as it provided me better performance. I have tried going back to Trilinear thinking it would improve my frames, but the clarity is just not there compared to anisio. I have upgraded video cards since, and am in process of OC, but I will try both Tri and Anisio when I get to that point with my new card. I never really did not do any reading about the two to see what the differences were. I just know my system performed better using Anisio. ThanksBob

nHancer will allow you to use 8xs AA mode which is not available under the Nvidia Control Panel.
Sarg, I always assumed the two modes in the nV control panel when used together: 8x and Supersampling AA Transparency = 8xs. No?Noel

Noel

System:  9900K@5.0gHz@1.23v all cores, MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC, Noctua NH-D15S w/ steady supply of 40-60F ambient air intake, Corsair Vengeance 32Gb LPX 3200mHz DDR4, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 2, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM 850W PSU, Win10 Pro, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frametime Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320NX, WT 787X

Guest sillyeagle

Transparency AA only applies to transparency textures, and has no effet on object or edge AA. Transparency AA is used simply because multisample AA does not work with transparency textures. All AA modes in the Nv CP are multisampling, with 4x, 8xQ, 16xQ being standard multisampling, and 8x, 16x being coverage sample AA, which are are forms of multisampling with a reduced stored color/z sample. Supersample AA actually renders the entire scene at 1x2 or 2x2 your screen resolution in the frame buffer, then applies multisampling. So if using 1600x1200, 8xS renders 1600x2400 internally, downsamples back to 1600x1200, which creates an antialiased image, and then applies 4x multisampling to that. 8xSQ would render at 3200x2400, then apply 2x mutisampling. Unlike multisampling, supersampling works on transparency textures as well, so you don't need transparency AA with it, and while you can still enable it, doing so would be redundant as transparencies are already getting the 1x2 or 2x2 supersample treatment.

To show you the (imho huge) benefit of 8xS, here are some zoomed in (with Photoshop) comparisonshots I made a long time ago:TreesCS8x.jpgTrees8xS.jpgGliderCS8x.jpgGlider8xS.jpgBuildingCS8x.jpgBuilding8xS.jpgWaterCS8x.jpgWater8xS.jpgDistanceCS8x.jpgDistance8xS.jpg8xs looks a lot smoother and shows a lot more detail! Trees become trees instead of cluttered pixels, lines are lines instead of rows of pixels, rows of windows become rows of windows instead of randomly placed pixels... :( nHancer really does help!!!

To show you the (imho huge) benefit of 8xS, here are some zoomed in (with Photoshop) comparisonshots I made a long time ago:TreesCS8x.jpgTrees8xS.jpgGliderCS8x.jpgGlider8xS.jpgBuildingCS8x.jpgBuilding8xS.jpgWaterCS8x.jpgWater8xS.jpgDistanceCS8x.jpgDistance8xS.jpg8xs looks a lot smoother and shows a lot more detail! Trees become trees instead of cluttered pixels, lines are lines instead of rows of pixels, rows of windows become rows of windows instead of randomly placed pixels... :( nHancer really does help!!!
Thanks Jeroen. What transparency setting did you have the Coverage Sample 8X? Did you have Multisampling or Supersampling checked? That is what I was trying to compare.

Noel

System:  9900K@5.0gHz@1.23v all cores, MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC, Noctua NH-D15S w/ steady supply of 40-60F ambient air intake, Corsair Vengeance 32Gb LPX 3200mHz DDR4, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 2, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM 850W PSU, Win10 Pro, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frametime Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320NX, WT 787X

Noel,In nHancer under the AA tab you check Combined and 8xs and leave the multi- and super- Transparency AA check boxes Unchecked.

Guest V4DIV-CVN-70

NICKI once sAW A TUTORAIL for nhancer that i thought you put together. I had to reinstall my PC and was wonder if you could point me back to it again. I have allready done your winXP tweaks.

Noel,In nHancer under the AA tab you check Combined and 8xs and leave the multi- and super- Transparency AA check boxes Unchecked.
Man I just don't see it. I have flown several flights with nH at 8xs, and several with nV at 8x with supersampled trans, and I prefer the latter. I see no difference in smoothness/perf either. Plus, in my Cessna 441 when I pan the VC I get some ripples with 8xs that I don't get in 8x or 4x multi or super, and this is independent of the BP setting. YMMV I guess!

Noel

Guest Nick_N
Man I just don't see it. I have flown several flights with nH at 8xs, and several with nV at 8x with supersampled trans, and I prefer the latter. I see no difference in smoothness/perf either. Plus, in my Cessna 441 when I pan the VC I get some ripples with 8xs that I don't get in 8x or 4x multi or super, and this is independent of the BP setting. YMMV I guess!
Thats because you are on a 280 card.. a much different animal than others and long after I posted the best perf/visual settings for Nhancerand yes, YMMV especially when you hit multilayer overcast clouds.. you may then want to go back to 8xS Combined but that will also depend on if you hit them over a major hub or out in the boonies
NICKI once sAW A TUTORAIL for nhancer that i thought you put together. I had to reinstall my PC and was wonder if you could point me back to it again. I have allready done your winXP tweaks.
The entire tuning thread is here with the direct link to Nhancer settings under the Nhancer section: http://www.simforums.com/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=29041

Guest V4DIV-CVN-70

NickThanksI had a dual crash on my PC. RAM and WD 10K Raptor. I still wonder if they are related. Anway Had to reinstall Windows and THe whole bit, tuning is Almost as fun as flying FSX.Thanks Again For Your Great Tutorials!