Sign in to follow this  
Midnight Music

Does Nhancer help?

Thats because you are on a 280 card.. a much different animal than others and long after I posted the best perf/visual settings for Nhancerand yes, YMMV especially when you hit multilayer overcast clouds.. you may then want to go back to 8xS Combined but that will also depend on if you hit them over a major hub or out in the booniesThe entire tuning thread is here with the direct link to Nhancer settings under the Nhancer section: http://www.simforums.com/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=29041
A much different animal eh. How so? Do you mean to tell me you weren't using one with nH 8xs at some point in the past? Somehow I missed that 8xs was not for 280GTX'ers. Nick, what is the benefit of 8xs from a theoretical standpoint, ie which *should* it offer improvements?In Oct 08 you posted, "COMBINED 8xS is what I use to eliminate shimmers in FSX". I don't have shimmers for starters, so perhaps that is why I'm not seeing anything added. Perhaps the adding has to do with better performance, which I have not really tested for. I made a very cool video flying around Kauai using Fraps, some pretty heavy weather & rain and stayed locked on 30 frames as usually, dedicating FRAPS to the 4th core only. Amazing! I had some IZ playing in the background, started with the helicopter hovering 6' off the water with the sunrise and clouds in the background, reflections off the ocean, then morphed into the beech flying into PHLI. Flawless performance during moviemaking at 30 frames movie capture.

Noel

System:  9900K@5.0gHz@1.23v all cores, MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC, Noctua NH-D15S w/ steady supply of 40-60F ambient air intake, Corsair Vengeance 32Gb LPX 3200mHz DDR4, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 2, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM 850W PSU, Win10 Pro, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frametime Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320NX, WT 787X

Noel,In nHancer under the AA tab you check Combined and 8xs and leave the multi- and super- Transparency AA check boxes Unchecked.
Sarg, do you see any benefits from 8xs? I'm not seeing anything so far. I get no shimmers.

Noel

System:  9900K@5.0gHz@1.23v all cores, MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC, Noctua NH-D15S w/ steady supply of 40-60F ambient air intake, Corsair Vengeance 32Gb LPX 3200mHz DDR4, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 2, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM 850W PSU, Win10 Pro, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frametime Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320NX, WT 787X

Sarg, do you see any benefits from 8xs? I'm not seeing anything so far. I get no shimmers.
See my screenshots some posts above yours. If you can't see the difference, then don't bother. :( But I see even more differences when everything is actually moving! This afternoon, while I was in a FSX-tweaking mood, I once again experimented with various FSAA settings. And again I came to the same conclusion: 8xs beats the ###### out of any other FSAA method. When I use other methods I get flickering trees (as if the graphics card can't decide which pixels to use to show the trees and keeps on swithing between them) and 'moire' over for instance high buildings with lots of windows: unless I pause the game I see lines moving across the squares. All in all I see things move where things shouldn't move whenever I don't use 8xs and things look way too 'busy'. With 8xs everything looks er... normal! It's really the best. BTW I have a GTX285 and still 8xs is the best... It's a different animal indeed, but it still benefits from 8xs.

Noel,I have to agree 100% with J van E's statements above. I get the best visuals hands down with 8xs.

Guest rdg
See my screenshots some posts above yours. If you can't see the difference, then don't bother. :( But I see even more differences when everything is actually moving! This afternoon, while I was in a FSX-tweaking mood, I once again experimented with various FSAA settings. And again I came to the same conclusion: 8xs beats the ###### out of any other FSAA method. When I use other methods I get flickering trees (as if the graphics card can't decide which pixels to use to show the trees and keeps on swithing between them) and 'moire' over for instance high buildings with lots of windows: unless I pause the game I see lines moving across the squares. All in all I see things move where things shouldn't move whenever I don't use 8xs and things look way too 'busy'. With 8xs everything looks er... normal! It's really the best. BTW I have a GTX285 and still 8xs is the best... It's a different animal indeed, but it still benefits from 8xs.
I too have a GTX285, but I have not yet experimented. I have always used the Combined 8xs. What are you doing different, if anything at all from Nicks nHancer setting recommendations? A little of subject, but what video driver are you using?

Guest Nick_N
A much different animal eh. How so? Do you mean to tell me you weren't using one with nH 8xs at some point in the past? Somehow I missed that 8xs was not for 280GTX'ers. Nick, what is the benefit of 8xs from a theoretical standpoint, ie which *should* it offer improvements?In Oct 08 you posted, "COMBINED 8xS is what I use to eliminate shimmers in FSX". I don't have shimmers for starters, so perhaps that is why I'm not seeing anything added. Perhaps the adding has to do with better performance, which I have not really tested for. I made a very cool video flying around Kauai using Fraps, some pretty heavy weather & rain and stayed locked on 30 frames as usually, dedicating FRAPS to the 4th core only. Amazing! I had some IZ playing in the background, started with the helicopter hovering 6' off the water with the sunrise and clouds in the background, reflections off the ocean, then morphed into the beech flying into PHLI. Flawless performance during moviemaking at 30 frames movie capture.
OK, back upWhat I meant is you have a card that can run the transparency settings and get away with it on perf. You would never even begin to be able to attempt that on a 88-9800 card and regardless of the 200 series you will eventually see a perf hit using transparency somewhere most likely related to weather. None the less, let me make myself perfectly clear... the BEST PERFORMANCE to BEST VISUAL compare comes from using COMBINED 8xS

Yes I saw the difference J, in the still pictures, at least in most of the stills. One of them I think I could see no differences in. I'll play around some more and see if there is anything there for me.

Noel

I too have a GTX285, but I have not yet experimented. I have always used the Combined 8xs. What are you doing different, if anything at all from Nicks nHancer setting recommendations? A little of subject, but what video driver are you using?
Er... how do you mean 'what are you doing different'...? Do you mean you still get 'moving trees and windows' with 8xs? Or...? Your question seems to say you are getting different results, but it's not clear what results you mean... Are you talking about FSAA or fps or...?I set everything up with Nicks settings for nHancer, but use altered ingame settings. Currently I am experimenting with Bandwidth and Bufferpools, but they have nothing to do with nHancer and/or FSAA. (And they don't seem to make much difference either when it comes to fps, I have to say). Right now I use the 182.08 drivers. Every now and then when I think about it, I use new drivers. But I can't say they make any difference when it comes to FSX.

Yes I saw the difference J, in the still pictures, at least in most of the stills. One of them I think I could see no differences in. I'll play around some more and see if there is anything there for me.
I don't know how you are testing now, but to make comparing the various FSAA modes a LOT easier, you can alt-enter FSX to windowed mode, change any nHancer setting you want (simply keep the nHancer window open!), and alt-enter FSX back to full screen: any change you make will be applied then! This way you can easily and quickly test the differences. So take a flight not too high above a big city with trees and high buildings and closely watch if things are moving more than they should. When I have 8xs on, everything passes by smoothly (not talking about fps here, but everything passes by and it doesn't move by itself): when I turn on another FSAA mode, I see the trees 'move', I see lines on the windows, I can even see groundtextures in the distance 'move': there is movement everywhere, while only the cars on the road should move! :( Anyway, using alt-enter > change nHancer > alt-enter again works great for comparing FSAA modes, because when you completely quit the game and start it all over, it takes waaaaaay too long and you will have forgotten already how it looked before the change. Using this method you can compare modes in seconds.BTW Only use this 'method' to compare FSAA modes: don't test any fps-related settings like this! In order to REALLY HONESTLY test fps you will have to restart the computer after every test... (I don't always do that: I quite often simply only restart FSX, but in that case I only compare results that were all done after simply restarting FSX and I keep in the back of my mind that results may degrade over time. Restarting the computer completely will usually give better and more comparable results fps-wise. When I use the quick-test-method and I think I have found a tweak that REALLY helps (they are hard to find) I always restart the computer and load FSX completely fresh to see what the result REALLY is... :( )

I don't know how you are testing now, but to make comparing the various FSAA modes a LOT easier, you can alt-enter FSX to windowed mode, change any nHancer setting you want (simply keep the nHancer window open!), and alt-enter FSX back to full screen: any change you make will be applied then! This way you can easily and quickly test the differences.
Now that is a nice practical tip I was not aware of. Thanks, I'll give that a whirl . . .

Noel

I can't believe the difference now that I have played with it a while. The 8xS setting really does improve IQ and for not much processing cost it would appear. I would have to say with these settings, FPS_Limiter, BP setting with my 1GB video card, I am now seeing FSX as essentially clear and smooth as . . . real life flying!! It's truly remarkable. I was flying the ORBX blue area and it was just too real for words. Glad the sim made it this far!Thanks all for your input on this issue. Noel

Noel

I am buying the HP m9560.nl computer as my other computer cannot cope with the specifications needed for FSX.I am not an expert I have no experience in tweaks , over clocking etc.I just want to fly like I have been during for a few years since FS2000 to FS2004.I have bought a lot of scenery (airports,aircraft, ground textures etc.) to install in my FSX.The video card is the the nVidia GT 130 with 768MB reserved memory which I will be using. There is an upgrade driver 182.50, will this increase the performance?Both the FSX & FS2000 will be on the second HD which comes with the computer.Will the nHANCER download be an advantage, and does it also alter the nVidia setting for the first HD also?Once again I am just a beginner as regards FSX & tweaks etc.

I am buying the HP m9560.nl computer as my other computer cannot cope with the specifications needed for FSX.Once again I am just a beginner as regards FSX & tweaks etc.
Hi Christiaan,Have you researched if the HP m9560.nl can TRULY handle FSX? If you aren't 100% certain it will handle FSX properly, stop now and do the research before you buy a new PC. If you "want to fly like I have been during for a few years since FS2000 to FS2004" you must be certain you have answered this question correctly. Only after that can you "tweak" anything, since tweaking really has most to do with actualizing the software and hardware's potential.

Noel

Noel, thanks for your quick reply.I am not an expert in computers, the salesman said that the HP m9560.nl will get me the best out of the FSX.On FS2004 I fly using Flight Planner to get from A to B as I have never mastered the art of programming a flight myself, or land using the Auto Pilot.I did install the FSX next to my FS2009 and the default scenery was alright except for a few blurries as I did not meet the minimum requirements. Also some imported aircraft were white or had missing textures on parts of the aircraft.All I want to do is install my Airport & Aircraft products and try to fly.I also could not install SP1 & SP2 due to the low graphic card. (nVidia GeForce 440 128Mb.)So this card is a big improvement in my eyes.I am easy to please, ChristiaanSPECIFICATIONS HP m9560.nl Windows Vista

I am not an expert in computers, the salesman said that the HP m9560.nl will get me the best out of the FSX.I am easy to please,
What can I say... Never trust a salesman... :( I wonder if that guy knew what FSX is...That computer won't get the best out of FSX, I think. But well, if you are easy to please, maybe you are happy with what this computer will give you. :( But a video card that uses system memory (if I understand it well) is never that good for gaming. The CPU isn't top of the bill either and also not brilliant when it comes to gaming (if I may believe some reviews). Then again, hardly any computer will be able to bring the best out of FSX... :( Anyway, I don't know if you already bought it, but if not, you might search some flightsim forums for what works well with FSX. I have to say I never ever buy branded computers (HP, Dell, Compaq, etc.) because you pay extra bucks for the brandsticker on it and you can create a far better system yourself (or let someone do it for you).Of course this system will do better than your old one (I think) so... again, if you are easily pleased this might be just the computer for you. B)