Sign in to follow this  
Kosta

Mesh & Landclass Search Tools

Hello,Are there any? I know there are mesh & landclass creation tools, but how would I go about if I wanted to identify which bgl's are for landclass and which for mesh in the scenery I installed?

Sure, Word Not Allowed, no problem. You will find TMFViewer in the Terrain S.D.K.Simply load each file in that program and you will immediately see what it is.Best regards.Luis

Ooookay, that is useful if I want to identify a file. But what if there are 100 files in a folder, or more, and I want to "find" landclass or mesh? Landclass should be separated from normal scenery folder, that be ALL of landclass...Besides, I tried it, and it reports "failed to open", I think if its not landclass.

For FS9 the LWMViewer2 program by Jim Keir will load all scenery by airport or lat/long position, with a tree listing of files by type. For FSX, I don't any other way than trial-and-error in TMFViewer.scott s..

Well, Word Not Allowed, then you should consider the following general rules: - Land classification (land class, not "landclass") = small files, about 2 or 3 kB - altitude mesh = very large files, many Mega BytesOther than that, if the file will not load in TMFViewer, then it is not a terrain file, neither land class nor altitude mesh. That is for sure.By the way, there is no particular reason why all land class files should be together in one separate directory. In any case, I have never done that and always keep land class files in the folder with the other local files.Best regards.Luis

What is the difference between land class and landclass files?!?It has been said that keeping landclass files in the general scenery folder causes memory leaks in FS9, and it has been confirmed. I can also confirm it with FranceVFR scenery. I currently have 64bit and 4GB of memory, so I am cured of OOMs, but I am still looking for ways to improve and sink memory usage of FS9 (which tends to grow to 2700mb on occasion).As I said that, also to mention that I have ove 300 scenery lines in my FS9, so I just want to start one by one, checking them all.

What is the difference between land class and landclass files?One is good English, and the other is not (although it could be considered good German.)As for the memory leak in FS 9, I am very sorry as I assumed you meant FS X since you never mentioned which version. You are absolutely right, and you will suffer from memory leaks if there is an associated texture folder. So, sorry again, there seems no solution for you.Best regards.Luis

I wouldn't see it as no solution. I am currently going through my folders with LWMViewer2, which is showing me which are "Landclass" files.Another question I have:It shows me in some sceneries that have photo scenery as an addon, a file called for example airport_photo.bgl as landclass file.Is it safe to understand that those "landclass" files shouldn't be moved into separate folder, as they are actually class files for photo textures?

IIt shows me in some sceneries that have photo scenery as an addon, a file called for example airport_photo.bgl as landclass file.Is it safe to understand that those "landclass" files shouldn't be moved into separate folder, as they are actually class files for photo textures?
Correct. Photo scenery also is called custom terrain, and works in a manner similar to the landclass, except there is a unique texture bitmap for each tile, rather than generic ones based on a landclass "number" and the vector terrain textures are not drawn either. In the case of custom (photo) terrain, the textures are in the "paired" texture folder. Actually, even if the file is a "normal" landclass one, if all the required textures are in the paired texture folder it is OK, the problem comes when the texture file is not in the paired texture folder, and fs9 has to go looking for it, that the memory leak issue comes up. scott s..