Sign in to follow this  
Guest estevesm

RealAir C172 and C208 tire traction

Guest estevesm

Hello all!I have a weird problem that happens when I fly RealAir's C172 and C208: When the ac touches downwith a crosswind component it "slides" on the runway like it was covered with grease (or ice). Has anyone experienced this? Usually I point the ac properly (let's say right rudder and left aileron for left crosswind)... Hope this is not a problem on the interface between the chair and the keyboard... ;-)

What is your t/d speed? And the crosswind?If the aircraft is flown on too fast the wings are still providing substantial lift and the crosswind is strong or gusty enough, it could easily cause the aircraft, even one the size of a Caravan to move sideways or even blow off the runway. I was only reading this afternoon of an accident involving a Rans S6 Coyote which was blown over at walking speed on a taxiway with a crosswind component of about 20 knots!Standard crosswind technique often involves NOT using full flaps for landing - I seem to recall it's in the POH for the real Cessna 172 but I dont have it to hand to confirm. Also raise the flaps as soon as the wheels have settled. And use differential braking until the speed is such that the wing is unlikely to be unloaing the wheels and tyres.Chas

Guest estevesm

You're right, depending on the crosswind component you can actually slip sideways. Although I think the ac will have a tendency of rolling over...I can't remember exactly what the wind speeds were at the time. I'll see if I can fire up FS2k2 today and try to simulate that again.But if you, for example, try to taxi with a strong crosswind component with any of those 2 planes (I haven't tried with FS default planes), and you apply full aileron into the wind you still end up taxiing sideways (as if the tires had no friction...)Thanks for the post, Chas!

This is probably a side effect of our C172 being able to side slip and spin. Unfortunately, MS do not code seperate modelling for air behaviour and ground behaviour. The default aircraft have a high degree of yaw stabililty which suppresses "tail wagging" or slipping.If you fast-taxi almost any FS aircraft you'll see a fair degree of skidding/drifting on the ground with sudden yaw inputs.Until the FS team sees fit to construct a seperate ground f/m (as did FS4) we have to contend with this phenomenon.Regards,Rob Young - RealAir Simulations

Guest estevesm

Thanks for the answer Rob! I suspected this was a FS limitation indeed. Hopefully M$ will fix that for FS9.... let's see. I can live with that, since these two flight models are great.Thanks for developing those two ac! Marcelo