Sign in to follow this  
edetroit

Props in 2D panel

Thinking out loud here..... Why in single prop aircraft have I never seen a moving prop in the 2D panel main view?Let's say we have a twin ....Saab 340 with no VC but wing views modelled. If I toggle my hat switch on the yoke to rear left/right.... the chances are I will see a moving prop.So in theory in a single prop aircraft one could model the prop (wing view stylee) and then one could see the moving prop in a 2D view.I am not a modeller and I am a huge fan of 2D views......and really the only reason why I do not use them in single prop GA is because there is no moving prop.S my question is.....Am I right in thinking it would actually be possible to see a moving prop in a 2D view if the prop was modelled?

Um... don't think this would be even remotely frame-rate friendly.You can't see the 3D model's prop from the straight ahead view in the 2D panel, so you'd have to create a gauge that is the prop. Then sync it to the 3D model's prop code. Like I said... I don't think it would be even remotely frame-rate friendly.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

Um... don't think this would be even remotely frame-rate friendly.You can't see the 3D model's prop from the straight ahead view in the 2D panel, so you'd have to create a gauge that is the prop. Then sync it to the 3D model's prop code. Like I said... I don't think it would be even remotely frame-rate friendly.
I think you misunderstand me.In the 2D rear right view I can see the prop, engine and bit of wing (which has been modelled....no frame rate problem there). The 2D rear right view could easily be the forward view ....with gauges in it.I will try an experiment myself. If I can find a twin prop with wing views. I will then place the rear right view behind the prop.....If it works I have half answered my question. The remaining bit of the question will be (I hope) why has noone done this before.

Well blow me down!... I am right!...there is no reason why a moving prop cannot be seen in the 2d panel view with no drop in frames....no prop gauge made.The modeller simply has to make the prop visible a la wing views!I show some pics soon to demonstrate.

Ok what we have is a single prop B1900D! :( The model has no VC but does have wing views. So I moved the eye point of the 2D panel so it was just behind the left engine.Lo and behold...moving prop in 2D view plus no drop in frames.So the answer is .....the modeller simply needs to make the prop visible in a single prop aircraft (a la wing views)Something that I should imagine is very easy to do. :( fsscr859-1.jpg

In spite of the popularity of the name, there really is no such thing as "wing-views..." :( What you are seeing are the parts that were included by the modeler for the "interior model". Unfortunately, not all modelers bother to construct an "interior model"ACES hard-coded FS 8, 9, and X such that it does not display the "interior model's parts" when using the 2d panel in the forward (default) direction. Presumably they did this for performance reasons.When using the hat-switch or keyboard controls to select any other view direction, the "interior model's parts" are displayed.Now, using the same "trick" you've just described, it should be possible to "see" even a single-engined a/c's prop, provided the modeler actually created an "interior model" and included the prop...

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

In spite of the popularity of the name, there really is no such thing as "wing-views..." :( What you are seeing are the parts that were included by the modeler for the "interior model". Unfortunately, not all modelers bother to construct an "interior model"ACES hard-coded FS 8, 9, and X such that it does not display the "interior model's parts" when using the 2d panel in the forward (default) direction. Presumably they did this for performance reasons.When using the hat-switch or keyboard controls to select any other view direction, the "interior model's parts" are displayed.Now, using the same "trick" you've just described, it should be possible to "see" even a single-engined a/c's prop, provided the modeler actually created an "interior model" and included the prop...
Hello Bill, as soon as I had posted the penny had dropped but I had to go to work.You are right Bill but I would like to add...."wing views" are a good description because the wings have already been modelled but just need to be cloned and specified "interior model" and therefore easy to make.Whereas a VC or virtual cabin would be a "new model" (a lot more work)...just to clarify..I talk as though I am a modeller but I am not.So....if a model has a VC it should be possible to see the prop also if one uses any view bar the forward view.....this should give new life to a certain Carenado V35B who's VC is of very old design and pretty useless.

The moving prop may not be visible in these pics but it sure is in the sim....along with VC rain effects. :( fsscr877.jpg