Sign in to follow this  
Charlie Chew

Replacing water textures

How difficult would it be to replace the default water texture in the Great Lakes area with a custom one? I'm trying to make some Toronto-area photo scenery I've been fooling around with using FSEarthTiles blend in with FSX's Lake Ontario water. Rather than mess around with water masks, I'd just like to replace FSX's default water texture with a water image from the satellite imagery to get a consistent blue over the lake. Thanks for any help.

"Even Ozzy's wagging his tail again. Liam who?"

Not a good idea to change a default texture since that will change the appearance of water everywhere in the FS world.Instead, would you consider changing the water classification (water class)? It is easy to do and you can choose a more appropriate shade of blue.Try either SBuilderX by Luis S

Guest napamule

You can enter 'FSX Water' in search field of AvSim file library and go pick anc choose what you may need. There will be other files that have 'water' in it's name but you can bypass those easily (total about 85 files). So, there are several ways to do what you want. Just have to test what is there. Cheers.Chuck BNapamule

Thanks Luis & Chuck - I'll follow up on your suggestions.I wouldn't be too concerned if the global water colour changed, as long as it fixed the problem in my little area. I typically only fly in Southern Ontario to review lessons from my real-world VFR training, and if I do want to take off to another part of the world on a whim, I could always put the default water file back.Thanks again for your help.

"Even Ozzy's wagging his tail again. Liam who?"

Guest napamule

CC,Perhaps you don't have the time to look, and might 'miss' this 'work in progress' FSX water configerator, which will allow you to change the water 'on the fly'. It's called 'FSWC' (FS Water Configurator) 'fswc_315.zip', avail here. Or at site: http://www.fswaterconfigurator.com/ . Did not try yet, as just found it yesterday due to this post. Can't hurt to try it and may even be exactly what you want/need. Sounds like it, to me. There are unlimited configuration possibilites / options for 'water' (waves, color, etc), according to author(s). NOT textures, but a water CONFIGURATOR. Get my drift. OK! Cheers.Chuck BNapamule