Sign in to follow this  
Houghton11

Dedicated Support Forum

Howdy,Firstly, I have to apologize; this thread really has little to do with a PMDG specific product issue, which this forum is for. This thread isn't probably going to help the problem here, only stir it up more. So once again, I apologize for that.Anyways, to what I have to say:Like I said earlier in the (now) infamous "secret airplane" thread, I don't really post much on these forums, simply because it seems that this forum is 5% actual support followed by 95% complaints and derogatory comments about how FS9 isn't supported...PMDG are garbage...etc.Recently, as was pointed out by PMDG themselves, these forums seem to have degenerated into something that isn't worth PMDG's time. It seems every post, no matter how innocent, is laced with rudeness, complaints, and the tendency to spin into some "pleeeze releaaze sOmE FS9 VerZioN" thread.It's getting unbearable, both for actual PMDG customers, and I imagine for some of the great PMDG team out there.I think it's time that PMDG open a dedicated support forum, for actual PMDG customers. Something ala-Level-D's support forums would be fantastic. Actual registration and proof of ownership would (I assume) hopefully weed out a lot of the less productive members of this community.Why? - Threads would focus on what the support forum should focus on; technical support for PMDG's products. - It would consolidate PMDG's true customers: If PMDG needed to receive feedback, they would receive it from the people who really matter; their actual customers. Too much of this forum is full of (unfortunately) users who use pirated or illegitimate PMDG software. - Moderation would be easier: You could still retain the great communication PMDG has with the flight sim userbase through a public "announcement" forum, while keeping the discussion either closed for another forum or for registered users.These are just some of the reasons off the top of my head, and i'm sure the PMDG team has had a similar discussion in the past. But I implore you to take a look at a private, dedicated forum in your future support development.I understand that PMDG has a fantastic email support system that i thankfully haven't had the pleasure of using ;). A forum for customers though would help keep simple problems from clogging your support system.Make no mistake though, I've found many great things through these forums. From solving simple technical issues, to improving my flying experience with new and realistic flying techniques. The PMDG staff has always done a fantastic job.To the PMDG team: Make no mistake, you guys make fantastic products. You have demonstrated great expertise and patience in the development of your products, and I hope that you have reaped the rightful fruits of your labour. While your decisions may have seemed unpopular in the past, you consistently make terrific products that have set the standard for the flight simulation market. Ignore the detractors. Continue to do what you feel is right.Once again, I apologize for any messy stuff that comes out of this thread, but I just want to thank you one more time PMDG for doing what you do best, developing and supporting the finest products in flight simulation.Patrick

I am pretty sure they have thought about it (I am not on the inside to know this for sure), but the advantage to having a public forum is the extra traffic they get from potential buyers. This is a major item for me. Yesterday I got mad at ASX and removed all Hi Fi Sim products and went shopping for an alternative. Recommendations led me to the REX site and their forum, where I asked a direct question about a technical issue I suspected (I can't run Net2.0 on Vista and their FAQs said that is required). They gave me the brush off because I don't have an order number, so I "walked out the door" without a purchase. I'd hate to see that kind of response from PMDG and I have to reconsider my relationship with Hi Fi Simulation.

Dan Downs KCRP

This is what we have email support for... if you want a for sure answer on something, that's the way to go...

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Guest lgvpilot1

Dan I think you make a very valid point I have always looked at user forums before i purchase , be it software or hardware knowing the plusses and the pitfalls are all important to me before I make a purchase , and lets be honest who has'nt in the past bought something , had a problem with it , and then gone on line to find it is a dog with fleas.researching a purchase is paramount in this economic climate and knowing that what you would like is compatible with what you have can only really be found at the official fora.I must confess though Patrick you do make some good points, and as an FS9 user I wont take the "pleeeze releaaze sOmE FS9 VerZioN" thread. statement personally :( there does seem to be rather a lot of it just recently Mark

Guest monkshood

What is support? Is support not something you get when you need advice or when something goes wrong or just simply isn

Merv, with all due respect, the activation thing is one of the proclaimed necessary evils... the honest, paying customer gets treated "poorly" by assuming that he/she would not be so if it weren't for the activation routine.My initial thought with your problem is that you have a corrupt installer... Given the degree of pirating of FS products these days, it is unlikely that a developer is going to send you an activation-free installer... my thoughts...And very few developers are known for their returns... Flight1 wrapper products are the only ones I have seen personally...Quick question: You are using the correct data to validate the install, you have redownloaded the installer, you are using the correct installer (FS9/FSX)?Andrew

Guest monkshood

Hi Andrew - thanks,Sure, I'm doing everything to the book. today PMDG did respond, they sent me the URL for the latest version of MD11 and it's latest installer. I also received advice about using the 'OpenDNS'. (that's cropped up in a thread on this forum as well) I've done that as well. I've edited my network to look at the OpenDNS servers and I've edited my router config as well. Still I get that old PMDG NOTAM page from December saying the eCommerse is off line. Still I get the site certificate warning when I run the installer, followed by the 'failed to validate' message box.Today I hooked up a laptop (running vista 32 basic) to my network via wireless. I was expecting the same old issue to raise it's head, but to my surprise with this I managed to log in to my account and I managed to download the file, through my router and ISP. Unfortunately I couldn't try to install 'cos FS isn't on that machine.It's fair to say that there is most probably therefore an issue between my PC and PMDG, but for the World I can't figure it out. I have cleaned everything I can think of off of my PC; browsing history, cookies, flushed the DNS. But still my system, even through the OpenDNS servers is picking up this old NOTAM page from PMDG. And I think this and the validation issue are related.I am totally buggered, I have clean run out of ideas.Ta.Merv

Beyond me too Merv - all I can suggest is maybe try anoither browser, firefox perhaps.... or dare I say it, a complete reinstall of the OS. drastic I know. Or... open Internet properties / advanced tab and hit Reset, worth a try.And Dan, I'm with you on asa for fsx anyway, I've given up with it using fsx anyway... you should have seen the windshifts I was having lol - moving round by 180 degrees every 3 seconds or so... poor plane was having a fit lol. I find it works fine with fs9 though, ok on a transatlantic flight anyway. I'll stick with it using fs9 anyway, just wait till the other mess is sorted lol. I looked at REX too but it only gives weather at departure and arrival, rest is local so no use for planning.Patrick I see your points but... being a public forum has advantages too, it's a case of balance there. Of course you'll get the odd idiot but that happens in private forums too.Just wish the pmdg forum could be split for each plane really, but I know that adds issues too... such is life lol.I've done my share of 'moderating' and know it's a thankless task at times.John Ellison