Sign in to follow this  
Guest dougwells

Jeppesen SimCharts is going Away

Guest dougwells

Funny that this came today. I was just working with FSWidgets EFB last night. Trying to decide if I should use this instead of SimCharts. Both are great but I feel I'm "cheating" a bit with Simcharts as I don't use georeferenced approach plates in the real world. SimCharts sure is convenient though. No work at all. Just type in your aiport code and there it is. Easy and effective. Anyone know if SimCharts for FS9 (which you can buy on a disk, I don't think you have to hook up to Jeppesen's server) works well on FSX? I saw PC Aviator ran a special on it last week.Doug===Important SimCharts 4.0 Announcement Regarding your current SimCharts 4.0 subscription: Dear Customers,This email is to let you know that the sale of our SIMCharts 4.0 service which works in conjunction with Microsoft Flight Simulator version 10 (FSX), will end on April 1, 2009. There is no new version being planned at this time. Support for the SIMCharts 4.0 service will continue for 1 year thereafter or until March 31, 2010. Access to the service after March 31, 2010 will no longer be available. We appreciate you as a customer and encourage you to visit our website, jeppesen.com, to view the full breadth of services and offerings Jeppesen has available to you.

I just use the NACO site for US-based chartshttp://avn.faa.gov/index.asp?xml=naco/online/d_tpp

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Muy Lame

Jeff Bea

I am an avid globetrotter with my trusty Lufthansa B777F, Polar Air Cargo B744F, and Atlas Air B748F.

SimCharts3 works for FS9SimCharts4 works for FSXWe were trying to get confirmation of them pulling the product after the first of April , did any other users of SimCharts recieve the above notice ?

O, is it April Fool's Day already...? :(

Beatle from Aces did respond with a mention regarding " Real Weather " from Jeppesen though he knew nothing about SimCharts unfortunatelyHey Guys,We have made arrangements for the FSX Weather Server to remain up for the foreseeable future (which probably means at least several more years - hopefully, someone will have released something new by then :-> ).Tim

After sending an Email to Jeppesen to confirm this i got an answer , and it was no joke it seems We are indeed discontinuing sales of SIMCharts 4.0 on April 1. Support for this product will be offered until April 1, 2010. We are evaluating future versions of SIMCharts but no firm decisions have been made at this time. Best regards, --EricEric AndersonPublic RelationsCorporate Communications

Guest dougwells

Real Weather -- I didn't even think about losing that. I'm relieved to hear that Jeppesen is continuing this support. Does anyone know if Active Sky Advanced relies on the fsx weather server or does it have its own weather source. I was thinking of buying Active Sky in the coming weeks (right after I buy Flight1 Mustang -- I'm really looking forward to flying that bird!).Thanks

Guest PPSFA

Airnav.com has all the US charts you need, free

Airnav.com has all the US charts you need, free
For the U.S., yes... for the rest of the world, no.

Jeff Bea

I am an avid globetrotter with my trusty Lufthansa B777F, Polar Air Cargo B744F, and Atlas Air B748F.

I've had the same e-mail.But here is the advertisement which I relied on when I bought my copy:"SIMCharts is now available for just $41.95/

I suspect the reason they're binning it off is because it would probably detract from their real world aviation product, Jeppview. It's a cool product, but personally, I think you'd be insane to take off in real life and rely on electronic charts alone - I've never yet known a paper chart to refuse to boot up owing to a disk error! Witness what a mess the crew of a L.O.T. Boeing 737 got in last year over Heathrow when they didn't align their IRS properly and took off, losing all their electronic flight displays right after take-off!Link to Jeppview page: http://www.jeppesen.com/industry-solutions...ic-charting.jspThey can hardly charge the price they want to for Jeppview charts when they're banging out another version of it for a lot less to simmers. This has happened with a few other products for FS in the past that cross the divide between simming and real world aviation, including the Precision Pilot IFR training software for simmers, which was about 40 quid cheaper than the equivalent real world aviation training tool it was a version of, and there really wasn't much difference between the two products.To some extent you can't really blame their thinking in terms of giving their real-world product better credibility, but, as Tim notes in the post above, if they advertised the simcharts product by saying that you would get support 'for life', and you have that claim in print, then they're in breach of their contract to you if they no longer support that promise. You could try emailing their support feedback, which you can find via the link I posted above. Go on, give their lawyers a scare :( At the very least you'll get your money back.Al

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

I think the reason is much more simple. Since Microsoft has announced the end of fs they see no reason to support it anymore. When they said "for life" , I think that could be interpreted as the "life" of the product.What do you want to bet the plug on rw downloads will be pulled about the same time.

Yup, you may well be right on their intention being 'for the life of the product', but if they didn't actually say that...That's why lawyers make so much money :( Al

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Yup, you may well be right on their intention being 'for the life of the product', but if they didn't actually say that...That's why lawyers make so much money :( Al
I forgot to mention-I have been using a portable electronic flight bag in my aircraft for the last 5 years using Flightprep pro and have not had one problem-the first 4 years on a motion 800 tablet and now a samsung q1. I carry the paper for a backup-but so far all they have done is collect dust and add a lot of weight.