Sign in to follow this  
Guest dougwells

Jeppesen SimCharts is going Away

I think the reason is much more simple. Since Microsoft has announced the end of fs they see no reason to support it anymore. When they said "for life" , I think that could be interpreted as the "life" of the product.What do you want to bet the plug on rw downloads will be pulled about the same time.
I would have thought the life of a product would be as long as the manuafactuer continued to sell it.

Link to Jeppview page: http://www.jeppesen.com/industry-solutions...ic-charting.jspThey can hardly charge the price they want to for Jeppview charts when they're banging out another version of it for a lot less to simmers. This has happened with a few other products for FS in the past that cross the divide between simming and real world aviation, including the Precision Pilot IFR training software for simmers, which was about 40 quid cheaper than the equivalent real world aviation training tool it was a version of, and there really wasn't much difference between the two products.
SimCharts - Frozen in time with no updatesJeppview - Access to the latest cycles

Jeff Bea

I am an avid globetrotter with my trusty Lufthansa B777F, Polar Air Cargo B744F, and Atlas Air B748F.

I think the reason is much more simple. Since Microsoft has announced the end of fs they see no reason to support it anymore. When they said "for life" , I think that could be interpreted as the "life" of the product.What do you want to bet the plug on rw downloads will be pulled about the same time.
I'm not sure the two can be conflated... one product is their own offering and the other is a service contract to a major 3rd party corporation/developer. It is clear that MS does not want to sacrifice the rights to the MSFS IP, so they may intend to use it. A smaller proportion of flight sim customers are privvy to the ACES closing or the MS spin doctors' assurance that they stand behind the franchise and "flying games." Thus, many customers probably have a long-term expectation that weather would be available. If not, MS support would become inundated with calls and emails inquiring about this "broken" feature. I do not expect real weather from Jeppesen to disappear next year, but I do not expect it to go on forever either. In five years time, I think some successor to FSX will be known and once that path is clear, the future of the Jepp contract will be known. On the other hand, who really knows? I am ready to believe just about anything after what we've been through lately. Fortunately, the SDK makes it possible for a 3rd party solution should Jepp's real weather evaporate. We'll have to jury rig FSX as it ages.

Jeff Bea

I am an avid globetrotter with my trusty Lufthansa B777F, Polar Air Cargo B744F, and Atlas Air B748F.

Yup, you may well be right on their intention being 'for the life of the product', but if they didn't actually say that...That's why lawyers make so much money :( Al
Common sense suggests it's for the life of the product. If a 15 year old bought it I doubt anyone would expect it has to be available for the next 85 years - assuming he made a 100.

Guest activeforce

April fools :(

Common sense suggests it's for the life of the product. If a 15 year old bought it I doubt anyone would expect it has to be available for the next 85 years - assuming he made a 100.
I agree, but common sense also suggests that when you buy a cup of hot coffee, it will be hot; nevertheless, that didn't stop Stella Liabeck from successfully taking McDonald's for 2.9 million dollars when she scalded herself with one of theirs :( Al

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

This is no april fool thingi. ITs real and I got that e-mail too. :(This is one of the addon that I loved. This was my way of getting charts for Europe. Now, I need to print the most fequented airports in Europe before they shut down.Manny

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

You still have navigraph if you want chart.I personally buy real jeppesen chart from ebay, I actually collect them as it's sort of real pilot things, that i like to have, of course the majority are expired but for sim porpouse it's ok.Maybe jeppesen have decided to close SimChart and will promote a jeppview also for simulation, it dosen't make very much difference if the service will be in a digital delivery like downloading a revision per year.Fabrizio

Sorry but I completely disagree. If you offer me a service "for the life of the service", you offer me precisely nothing, because I have no influence over the duration for which you choose to offer the service. The ONLY reasonable meaning of an offer of a service "for life" is "for the life of the offeree", not "at the whim of the offeror". It is a very peculiar idea that anyone with "common sense" would pay a fixed price for a service which the provider might terminate unilaterally at any moment.And there is no commercial absurdity about such an offer. The Jeppesen Simcharts are not kept up to date: they are all years old, reflecting (apparently) the data with which FSX was programmed. So there is no ongoing cost to Jeppesen in making them available, beyond the cost of keeping them online and available for download. That has a cost, it is true. But when/if they want to stop making the service available to new customers and/or to take the service offline, the solution is simple. They must make the same data available to existing customers in permanent form, on a DVD for example.Personally I intend to take this a little further with Jeppesen.Tim

I agree, but common sense also suggests that when you buy a cup of hot coffee, it will be hot; nevertheless, that didn't stop Stella Liabeck from successfully taking McDonald's for 2.9 million dollars when she scalded herself with one of theirs :( Al
That, with respect, is an absurd comparison. A correct analogy would be if Stella Liabeck had bought a packet of chips from McDonald's, started eating them as she was walking out of the store, and had the rest of them taken away by the manager half-way down the street.Tim

Sorry but I completely disagree. If you offer me a service "for the life of the service", you offer me precisely nothing, because I have no influence over the duration for which you choose to offer the service. The ONLY reasonable meaning of an offer of a service "for life" is "for the life of the offeree", not "at the whim of the offeror". It is a very peculiar idea that anyone with "common sense" would pay a fixed price for a service which the provider might terminate unilaterally at any moment.And there is no commercial absurdity about such an offer. The Jeppesen Simcharts are not kept up to date: they are all years old, reflecting (apparently) the data with which FSX was programmed. So there is no ongoing cost to Jeppesen in making them available, beyond the cost of keeping them online and available for download. That has a cost, it is true. But when/if they want to stop making the service available to new customers and/or to take the service offline, the solution is simple. They must make the same data available to existing customers in permanent form, on a DVD for example.Personally I intend to take this a little further with Jeppesen.Tim
You were not offered "precisely nothing". You were offered the right to unlimited downloads which I assume you took advantage of. Although Jeppesen have stopped offering new suvscriptions, the charts can still be downloaded for another year. Most people would think that is a reasonable period of notice.You can have fun taking it further with Jeppesen and I look forward to reading more about it.