Sign in to follow this  

What is needed for a second monitor operation for FS?

I have a GeForce 4 Ti4600 128MB card with latest Omega drivers on a P4 2.0 with 512MB RAM with WinXP Home for the OS. Will I need an additional video card installed or can the one I have handle both? What else do I need to get a second monitor up and running? Does it just plug into the back of the computer via an adapter to run both monitors out of the same port (I have a Dell Dimension 8200 and it only has 1 plug in the rear for a monitor? Sorry for the bloody ingnorance but some detailed help would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks.

Eric 

Guest flightpro08

Eric,Being that I just setup a dual monitor setup a couple of weeks ago with the same video card and OS, I think I might be able to help you. ;-)You're GeForce 4 Ti4600 has three video ports: A VGA port, a DVI port, and VIVO (Video in/out). Obviously, your primary monitor is hooked up to your VGA port, and the Video in/out port is for video cameras, TV setups, etc. That leaves us with the DVI port.The DVI port really does you nothing (unless you have a HI-DEF TV or other digital video device) by itself. To run a second monitor out of it, you'll need a DVI to VGA Adapter. This neat little device bascially turns your DVI port into a second VGA port on your video card. Below, is a link to one (from Newegg.com).http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproduct.asp?...+to+VGA+AdapterYou might be able to find one for even cheaper, but $4 isn't bad. ;-)Once you have the adpater, turn off your computer, plug it into your DVI port and plug in your second monitor to the opposite end of the adapter. Turn your computer on and you'll see an "nView Setup Dialog." nView is nVidia's dual-monitor program that allows you to do various things. It's completely optional, and I personally don't use it.After you close/complete the nView setup, do the following:1.) Right click on your desktop2.) Select properties3.) Select the settings tab4.) Click on the monitor outline that has a 2 in the middle and select "Extend my windows desktop to this monitor."5.) "Drag" the second monitor to the approriate side of your primary monitor.And bingo, you should now see both monitors working. To have your dual monitor setup work with FS2k2 100%, I recommend deleting Microsoft's "XP Security Hotfix Q328310." With this fix installed, I couldn't "Alt-Tab" in/out of FS2k2, but once I uninstalled it, all has been well. You can uninstall it through XP's "Add/Remove Programs" program.If you have any further questions, feel free to reply to this topic. :-)Ryan-Flightpro08 :-cool VATSIM Pilot/ControllerZLA ARTCC Senior Controller (C-3)ASRC (Advanced Simulated Radar Client) Beta Testerhttp://vatsim.pilotmedia.fi/statusindicato...tor=OD1&a=a.jpg-----------------------------My "Home Made" System Specs:Intel Pentium 4 2.2GHz ProcessorTurbo Gamer ATX Mid-Tower with 420W Power SupplyEPoX 4G4A Motherboard with Intel 845G ChipsetVisiontek XTASY GeForce4 128MB Ti4600 (Det 42.86 Drivers)512MB PC2100 DDR RAM40GB Matrox 7200RPM Hard DriveWindows XP Home Edition SP1*No CPU or GPU Overclocking*3dMark2001SE Score: 11298-----------------------------Click Here to Download my American Eagle POSKY CRJ-200!

Excellent. Thanks Ryan. Do you find your framerate suffers using two monitors?

Eric 

Guest ba747heavy

Nope, framerates aren't affected by two monitors.

Guest flightpro08

>Excellent. Thanks Ryan. Do you find your framerate suffers using two monitors?No, not really. Though, I do notice some stuttering when trying to use the DF734 FMC on my second monitor. Overall, I haven't seen much of a performance drop using two monitors.Ryan-Flightpro08 :-cool VATSIM Pilot/ControllerZLA ARTCC Senior Controller (C-3)ASRC (Advanced Simulated Radar Client) Beta Testerhttp://vatsim.pilotmedia.fi/statusindicato...tor=OD1&a=a.jpg-----------------------------My "Home Made" System Specs:Intel Pentium 4 2.2GHz ProcessorTurbo Gamer ATX Mid-Tower with 420W Power SupplyEPoX 4G4A Motherboard with Intel 845G ChipsetVisiontek XTASY GeForce4 128MB Ti4600 (Det 42.86 Drivers)512MB PC2100 DDR RAM40GB Matrox 7200RPM Hard DriveWindows XP Home Edition SP1*No CPU or GPU Overclocking*3dMark2001SE Score: 11298-----------------------------Click Here to Download my American Eagle POSKY CRJ-200!

Ryan,do you also have the problem with sometimes not being able to access the second monitor (you simply can't drag the pointer to that screen)?The only solution I've found is to undock a window on the main screen and move it to the other screen, then I can access it./Krister

Krister Lindén
EFMA, Finland
------------------

Guest gasebah

I suggest that you look in the Tips and Tricks section of this forum. The solution is right on the first page.Alex

Thanks Alex!/Krister

Krister Lindén
EFMA, Finland
------------------

Hi Boyd!I checked your site out and reflected on your controller setup. You have the throttle located on the CH yoke instead of using the separate CH Pro throttle. Any special reason for that? Personally I use the yoke for controlling two propellers and mixture and have the throttle (and reverse) on my Saitek X45-throttle. The rocket buttons on the right yoke handle (#1 and #2 on your map) I use as rudder trim and the left forward button (your pause) I use as Talk button on Roger Wilco.Nice rig btw! :) I also intend to use a separate tft-monitor above the main one as an overhead display. It fell over on my first attempt though! :)Btw no 2, you can add Finland to the list of countries where your B737 checklist is being used! May I make a small suggestion? In your excellent "Online pre-flight preparation" add using aibridge to the list - in that way you get VATSIM traffic on the TCAS.And finally btw no 3, have you tried Flight Deck Companion? It really adds a lot of atmosphere going through the checklists with a virtual co-pilot at the correct stages of the flight!RegardsKrister

Krister Lindén
EFMA, Finland
------------------

Guest rbbarker

Hey hey. No experience with FDC, but I'll check it out. I guess I should label both throttles because I use the yoke throttle for GA and the Pro Throttle for jets. They are both configured, but have slight null zones so they don't interfere with each other. Thanks FSUIPC!Boyd BarkerSenior Command CaptainKBOS Hub ManagerWestWind Airlineshttp://home.houston.rr.com/checklist/DFexperience.jpghttp://home.houston.rr.com/checklist/checklist.html

What Eric Is saying is exactly correct.Also, by dragging your cursor alone to the right edge of the screen, while in the panel window, until it (the cursor) expands, and then clicking, gives you access to the second monitor.bob

Hi Fred,Just thought I'd let you know when I run dual monitors in FS, my frames drop from about 40 fps to about 3-5 fps.Of course I have everything turned on and maxed, and I run the second monitor in a samller res (1024x768) than the main.I don't have a slouch of a system either (PIV 2.53 GHz512 PC1066 RDRAM128MB ATI Radeon 9700 Pro).But I'll also admit I haven't really had a chance to play around with it much as I just bought the new PC. But I will horse around with it some more and see what happens.As another option, I was going to try wide FS with my other networked PC (PII 866MHz384 PC133 SDRAMGeForce 2 GTS 32MB DDR) and see how that works out. I was hopng to actually do both with 2 monitors on the faster machine and one on the slower one.Cheers,KyleCF-AOA