Sign in to follow this  
rhodges

CS C130 Startup?

It has been quite some time since I flew the Captain Sim C-130, so I thought I would give it another try. I also thought I would try to refresh this old memory for a total cold and dark startup. I reviewed the manual briefly, and then discovered the following tutorial: "http://WWW.fsstation.com/tutorials/captain-sim-lockheed-c130-2.html"It is pretty comprehensive, but when I got to the point of starting my engines, 3 and 4 (Right side engines) start up just fine. However, engines 1 and 2 (Left side) totally ignore me. I don't remember having this problem in the long past when I spent some time with this bird.If I am reading correctly, this tutorial is really for the FSX version and I am trying to adapt it to the FS9 version. However, some kind soul in this forum (FS9) recommended it. I really only see the following issues up to the point of engine starting which may or may not be important.1. I was unable to achieve external power. I don't know whether it is just not available for the origin airport (KLRF), or I am doing something wrong. Being that it is included in the tutorial and this is the tutorial origin position, I would have thought so. In any case, I went ahead and used battery power and as mentioned, startup of two of the engines developed with no problems.2. On page 3 of 5, "In the electrical system (upper OH Icon)", item 5 states: "Both Copilot AC instruments" and "AC instrument and Engine switches" should be placed in the OFF position until we have electrical power." For the right hand switch there is no "off" position. Later in the sequence it is turned on anyway (page 4 of 5) "In the electrical system (upper OH icon)", section 1.2 which makes this somewhat academic anyway.3. Turning on "Instrument and Panel Lights" in step 3, page 3 of 5 refers to the virtual panel. My assumption is that this is unique to the FSX panel, but really do not understand why this would be important for engine starting anyway.4. Reference is also made for the "throttle quadrant" in the "virtual cockpit only" on page 1 of 8, which I also assume is unique to FSX. Again, I would think if two of the engines start, this would have no affect on the other two and might be ignored.Has anyone been down this path and knows what I have forgotten or done wrong?. Anyone possibly know of a tutorial unique to FS9?Thanks:RTH

Well. Sorry for the post.I shut everything down, restarted my computer, FS9, and again carefully went through the checklist for the fourth time. All four engines started up fine.I have no idea what the original problem was. I would be suspicious of lacking bleed air on 1 and 2, but I am sure that all four bleed air valve switches were in the open position.Respectfully:RTH