Sign in to follow this  
eurowing

which video card for i7?

hi,i will soon upgrade and build a new i7 system for FSX. i will go with the 920 cpu (oc to 3.5GHz) and the asus P6T with 6gb triple channel ram. i am currently using a 7800GT which i think i should replace, as well now the question is which GPU to buy. i am planning on an evga GTX260 since that one is quite affordable ($160+tax). i could also buy the GTX280 for $250, but will i even get better performance with that one in FSX? the sim is cpu hungry, so i would not expect any better performance on the 280 compared to the 260. am i correct? or should i even get the 9800GT?thanks for your input!

Denis Kosbeck

KPHX

Guest Nick_N
hi,i will soon upgrade and build a new i7 system for FSX. i will go with the 920 cpu (oc to 3.5GHz) and the asus P6T with 6gb triple channel ram. i am currently using a 7800GT which i think i should replace, as well now the question is which GPU to buy. i am planning on an evga GTX260 since that one is quite affordable ($160+tax). i could also buy the GTX280 for $250, but will i even get better performance with that one in FSX? the sim is cpu hungry, so i would not expect any better performance on the 280 compared to the 260. am i correct? or should i even get the 9800GT?thanks for your input!
GTX 285 is worth the investment with i7 over other cards especially if one intends to clock it. Those who do not intend to clock can still see advantages with it but the 260 at that point can be a good choice too. If you are going to invest in a system for MSFS and you are moving to i7 and clocking it, I see no reason to try and skimp here and there.. you will end up replacing what you skimped on anyway and pay moredont sit there wondering if you had spent the money if something would be better ... and then turn around and spend againJust do it and be happy.. I understand budgets and sometimes such purchases are not possible due to economics however when it comes to this title and if the question is about bang for buck you will get what you pay for if you know how select the right parts for the system and know how to use it

I think any card like a Geforce 8800 GTX or an ATi HD 2900 or above will work very well on FSX, if you are looking for an awesome card, that is not going to cost 600 dollars, but if you want something recent like a GTX 260, or an ATi Radeon HD 4830, they are very fine choices and will get you some great FPS in other games, if you decide you want to use all that PC horsepower for other things. One thing that you must remember is that the CPU is usally what determines performance in FSX, the graphics card only helps it up to a point, untill FSX bottlenecks the graphics card by not using all of its power.

GTX 285 is worth the investment with i7 over other cards especially if one intends to clock it. Those who do not intend to clock can still see advantages with it but the 260 at that point can be a good choice too. If you are going to invest in a system for MSFS and you are moving to i7 and clocking it, I see no reason to try and skimp here and there.. you will end up replacing what you skimped on anyway and pay moredont sit there wondering if you had spent the money if something would be better ... and then turn around and spend againJust do it and be happy.. I understand budgets and sometimes such purchases are not possible due to economics however when it comes to this title and if the question is about bang for buck you will get what you pay for if you know how select the right parts for the system and know how to use it
Nick, what do you think, my system + GTX285 for FSX? Right now FSX is doing 30fps mostly, occasionally going 25... will I see much improvement over 8800GT?

Guest Nick_N
Nick, what do you think, my system + GTX285 for FSX? Right now FSX is doing 30fps mostly, occasionally going 25... will I see much improvement over 8800GT?
The 285 is better suited for quads @ 3.6-4GHz and especially i7However it will provide some relief none the less.. just not as much as with the mentioned support components

The 285 is better suited for quads @ 3.6-4GHz and especially i7However it will provide some relief none the less.. just not as much as with the mentioned support components
I just ordered a EVGA GTX-285 which should be on the door-step this evening. I bought the non-oc version with the intention of doing it myself. I remember P. Taylor mentioning somewhere that FS will use all the pipes you can throw at it and with Nick's endorsement, it seems like a no-brainer; especially with my intentions of migrating it to an overclocked i7 rig later this year.Going from a non-oc 9800GTX 512mb to this 1GB board on my current rig, my hope is, it will immediately help in high-end add-on airports such as Imaginsim Atlanta, with my AI collection turned up, and a better running PMDG / LDS aircraft experience.

Regards,
Al Jordan | KCAE

Guest Alphahawk3
I take NickN's advice about 99% of the time...and I have not been led astray yet. This is a subject I am familiar with. The only proper part of my system I did not buy was the VC. My system is an i7 920 clocked to 3.6ghz. I am very happy with the way my system runs and since installing the FPS Limiter FSX acts like the sim we all want it to be. But...my 9600GT can not handle all the i7 is sending it. I should have listened and I did not. I did not question Nick outright but he had posted what cards one should get with an i7 series and I did read but did not heed. Now I am paying for it....or I should say I will be paying for it when I buy my new VC this fall or winter. The only saving grace is I do not fly much this time of year...fishing and golf a lot. This is just a way for me to say I am reducing my pain somewhat by waiting to buy the card on this justiifcation...makes me feel a little better anyway. Get the 285 you will need it and you will not be sorry later on. Regards

I take NickN's advice about 99% of the time...and I have not been led astray yet. This is a subject I am familiar with. The only proper part of my system I did not buy was the VC. My system is an i7 920 clocked to 3.6ghz. I am very happy with the way my system runs and since installing the FPS Limiter FSX acts like the sim we all want it to be. But...my 9600GT can not handle all the i7 is sending it. I should have listened and I did not. I did not question Nick outright but he had posted what cards one should get with an i7 series and I did read but did not heed. Now I am paying for it....or I should say I will be paying for it when I buy my new VC this fall or winter. The only saving grace is I do not fly much this time of year...fishing and golf a lot. This is just a way for me to say I am reducing my pain somewhat by waiting to buy the card on this justiifcation...makes me feel a little better anyway. Get the 285 you will need it and you will not be sorry later on. Regards
i did decide to go with the better card. however, i will buy the BFG GTX280 which is on sale at my local fry's for $250. the GTX285 is just a little too pricy for me right now. even the 280 is going to cost me more than i planned to spend but well... i am thinking that i should be happy with that one, as well. who knows, maybe i can clock it a bit, too.regards,

Denis Kosbeck

KPHX

Nick isn't GTX 285 a dual GPU graphics card? I thought FSX actually performed worst with two GPUs. Am I wrong here? Also doesn't this whole conversation turn around what size monitor the OP is using?

Guest djt01
Nick isn't GTX 285 a dual GPU graphics card? I thought FSX actually performed worst with two GPUs. Am I wrong here? Also doesn't this whole conversation turn around what size monitor the OP is using?
The GTX 285 is not a dual GPU card. It

I am running an E8600 @4.05ghz and using a 9600gt with a 22" widescreen 1680 X 1050, what would be the best card to suite this setup, my previous 8800gt bit the dust recently and the 9600 does not seem that much different. Using FSX of course.Bob

Bill

Guest Nick_N
The 295 is the dual core version and is as useless as boobs on a bull to FSX.. as well as ATi 4870 x2's
I am running an E8600 @4.05ghz and using a 9600gt with a 22" widescreen 1680 X 1050, what would be the best card to suite this setup, my previous 8800gt bit the dust recently and the 9600 does not seem that much different. Using FSX of course.Bob
GTX 260 or the 285, either onethe key is to obtain the higher memory amount, best core and memory speed .. the price goes up as the speed increases from the manufacture. Those who clock and are well versed in it can save a bit by buying the lower speed core/memory cards and clocking them however those who do not clock should strive for the fastest core and memory speed from the manufacture they can afford. And then those like me who buy the fastest.. break the warranty by removing the heatsink, mod it (electronically or otherwise), install better a better cooling solution and get another 20% out of the card in a clock LOL