Sign in to follow this  
jacock01

Approach Vectors

I notice that I am consistently being directed on approachat 90 deg to the runway and then at the last minute beingdirected to a 60 deg turn to intercept the ILS. Example,KSDF to KATL landing on 8L I get directed to a heading of185 and then told to turn to 125 and intercept. I have peoplethrowing up in the isles on these turns to final. All the livechatter I hear for major airports for turns to final are aroundthe 30 deg range along with continuous small vectors leadingup to the turn to intercept. RC gives me two vectors, one 90 deg to the runway and then a big last second 60 deg one.Shouldn't my last vector be more like 30 deg? I haven't missed my crossing restriction. If it helps, My waypointsare EWO - NEW HOPE,GQO - CHOO CHOO (CHATTANOOGA), RMG - ROME.I get the same instructions if I make ATL as the last waypointafter Rome. Only then I get vectored to the airport then backout then to 185 deg and the same scenario.Thanks,Jim

I notice that I am consistently being directed on approachat 90 deg to the runway and then at the last minute beingdirected to a 60 deg turn to intercept the ILS. Example,KSDF to KATL landing on 8L I get directed to a heading of185 and then told to turn to 125 and intercept. I have peoplethrowing up in the isles on these turns to final. All the livechatter I hear for major airports for turns to final are aroundthe 30 deg range along with continuous small vectors leadingup to the turn to intercept. RC gives me two vectors, one 90 deg to the runway and then a big last second 60 deg one.Shouldn't my last vector be more like 30 deg? I haven't missed my crossing restriction. If it helps, My waypointsare EWO - NEW HOPE,GQO - CHOO CHOO (CHATTANOOGA), RMG - ROME.I get the same instructions if I make ATL as the last waypointafter Rome. Only then I get vectored to the airport then backout then to 185 deg and the same scenario.Thanks,Jim
every approach that is a downwind, base, and final, whether it is with a star, or without, is going to give you a 60 degree turn for an intercept to join the localizer.if you have a lot of chatter playing, maybe you have pre-recorded chatter turned on, turn it off. that may be why the call to turn to intercept is so late.are you talking about the turn to intercept, or the turn from intercept to final being late, and 60 degrees?jd

Jim,If you're having problems overshooting the localiser then check your speed. Downwind should be no faster than 230kts, base leg 210kts slowing to 190kts close to the final turn to intercept the localiser.I have plenty of time to capture the localiser at those speeds flying anything from a 737 to a 777 and Concorde.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

every approach that is a downwind, base, and final, whether it is with a star, or without, is going to give you a 60 degree turn for an intercept to join the localizer.if you have a lot of chatter playing, maybe you have pre-recorded chatter turned on, turn it off. that may be why the call to turn to intercept is so late.are you talking about the turn to intercept, or the turn from intercept to final being late, and 60 degrees?jd
I'm talking about the turn to intercept the localizer. My speed at this point is 170 IAS. I think you answered my questionthat all turns to intercept are 60 degrees. That just seems high to me as all the ones I hear on liveatc are around 30.I don't run with chatter files on; I only select AI chatter. Is this different from the earlier versions of RC? I thoughtthe older ones I used had a milder turn to intercept but I could easily be mistaken.Thanks for the clarification JD.Cheers,Jim

I'm talking about the turn to intercept the localizer. My speed at this point is 170 IAS. I think you answered my questionthat all turns to intercept are 60 degrees. That just seems high to me as all the ones I hear on liveatc are around 30.I don't run with chatter files on; I only select AI chatter. Is this different from the earlier versions of RC? I thoughtthe older ones I used had a milder turn to intercept but I could easily be mistaken.Thanks for the clarification JD.Cheers,Jim
same vectors since v2, maybe even v1. i think i was referring to the base to intercept, not the intercept to final.make a log, send it to me. instructions pinned to the top of the forum. let's see what's going onjd

same vectors since v2, maybe even v1. i think i was referring to the base to intercept, not the intercept to final.make a log, send it to me. instructions pinned to the top of the forum. let's see what's going onjd
I think the terminology may be confusing me. Take 8L at KATL. I'm given a heading of 185 which is roughly90 degrees to the runway. Next I'm given the heading 125 and cleared for the ILS. The heading to interceptthe ILS is correct as that puts me on a 30 degree heading to intercept the ILS. I just don't hear 60 degree turns clearing one for the ILS either when listening to the local traffic here (which is sparse) or heavier at JFK. I agree that is a limited set and maybe things are different at a high density field like Atlanta. I was just expecting a series of turns in the 20 degree range with the final one clearing me for the ILS rather than one 60 degree one. If this is still ambiguous I'll zip one up but I think you answered my question in that all your turns clearing one forthe ILS are 60 degrees.Cheers,Jim